Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

dj dunzie
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Well, after a long hiatus from any kind of real shooting got a small paid gig (single game) for one team and a chance to pitch a few sales to the opponent. Small potatos but at least getting back into the game a little, although after finding out the shooting conditions I'm thinking I should be offering a slight refund or request for a return game at a different venue. Issues? Evening game, sun setting behind the outfield... a completely fenced ENCLOSURE meaning the ONLY spot I could shoot without going through a tight chain link fence was from the home dugout, directly INTO the sun, and somewhat elevated too. I tried some through the screen but it didn't matter if it was the 70-200 or the 300, it was a tough screen to get decent results through given the position of the sun. Umps wouldn't "allow" me inside the enclosure. Weird stuff. Basically I had two angles at the game and didn't like either. I couldn't shoot along the first base line AT ALL because of a weird bullpen / pitching machine setup.

Anyway, a few shots to show you anyway... man, bad enough battling the rust, but this wasn't exactly an easy go even if I WAS on top of my game (which I'm not)...

A couple pitcher shots through the screen with some work in post...

(1)

(2)

... and one from the dugout...

(3)

... so you see the two basic angles I could get on the field, and the backlighting. These were heavily corrected in post.

The angle at a lefty batter...

(4)

However, this kind of infield dirt...

(5)

... makes for a great smoke shot on the next pitch...

(6)

A play at third I kind of liked despite the elevated shooting angle which drives me nuts...

(7)

"What does he MEAN, out?!!!"

(8)

Incidentally, if you were an average sized 13 or 14 year old third baseman and this Goliath was hurtling toward you on a close play, making this face, would you dig in for the tag?

(9)

Last shot, not a great one I realize, the joys of using a fixed 300 from behind the screen not expecting a play at the plate on a big hit, but tell me how in this cloud the ump could make the call on a tag?

(10)

At any rate, anyone have a day like this? What would be fair for the team if you were paid well to shoot a game and not happy with what you could get?

Feel free to bash, or at least offer some tips you use when you feel the conditions are against you...

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:43 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Deej... you could offer to shoot another game, but you might get denied access again. Can you go through the league and get cleared to shoot inside the fence so the same thing doesn't happen again?

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:51 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

I believe this is their home diamond, although it's a 3-plex where there IS one diamond with more run-off and potentially I could get onto the lines there. I'm going to contact the team for sure and explain my frustrations and see what we can work out. They may well be ok with what I've got - but I'm not and that's what matters to me. I'll ask for their remaining schedule and will check out the locations. Maybe there's a chance for a different park before long.

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:54 AM
Hockey_Nut
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Dunzie is in the house! Good to see you back to posting some shots. These aren't as bad as what you made them out to be the other day. Love #4 too often the kids have their eyes closed on these. I'm with Paul check with the team's schedule and even have the coach go to "bat" for you with the League (sorry I couldn't resist). Perhaps some inside help will get you access.

Talk to you soon.

Brent

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:49 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Another approach that might work is if you can get some of the parents to talk to the league officials (sometimes one of the parents is a league official)?

Jul 13, 2012 at 02:44 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Jul 13, 2012 at 05:34 PM
facedodge
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

I think those photos are great! You are too tough on yourself, man.

You got ball on bat plus you can see the kids face... I don't do baseball, but I know that's tough!

You froze the pitch... well done

You captured an artful shot with the catcher in B&W.

The others were pretty good too!

Jul 13, 2012 at 08:43 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

facedodge wrote: You are too tough on yourself, man.

This is a good thing. By being self critical...when you could honestly convince yourself the difference between bad, good and great....we get better and with the critical eyes of others...it's money on the bank.

deej....great to see you back. On #1 I like that pose or release point. When my son played....he was a lefty and probably my most difficult subject.....but I got one similar to this one....only more straight on and it is my most favorite shot of him.

I think you handled the backlighting very good. These things can be a real PITA...

On the two catcher shots #5 & #6...these were the only two that would be questionable being no face or ball in #5 and the eyes closed in #6.

Love the facial in #8.

With the dry...dusty fields I've been seeing some neat dirt patterns this year here on some posts. Your last one is one of them and agree about the ump not seeing anything but a smile screen.

Barring your restrictions I think you managed very good shots. I think the best thing is what Paul mentioned....try to go thru the league and see what happens.

Same scenario happened to me a few years ago for an all star game where the league hired me and said I would have field access. My usual routine with an ump I've never been on the field with is introduce myself and explained what I do and just run the whole process thru them to see if they had any issues with anything.

This one guy just flat out told me I will not have field access. Long story short....coaches had to call the league president and the District Umpire in Chief to talk the the ump and by the 2nd inning.....all was good.

It's worth a shot....good luck.

Frank

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

what is up with some of these umps?

i went to shoot a 11 year old house league game on a field i had shot many times. did i mention this is house league. a few of these kids are lucky if they get a hit.

did the usual intro and chat with ump . . . he said no one is permitted on the field. i explained i had shot on this field in this league for the past 8 years with no issue. i was frustrated yet respected his decision without causing a scene. shot a couple inning from the dugout and went home.

Jul 14, 2012 at 03:37 PM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

You did well with the backlighting in these. I love shooting backlit; it eliminates the shadows under the cap and makes for gorgeous effects when the dirt flies. Plus, it is a skill most amateurs don't master, setting your work apart.

I find more and more the officials around here are limiting access for safety reasons. A couple of umps have been injured, and that, along with some of the high profile injuries in the press has made everyone and the insurance companies skittish. They're usually still accommodating to press, but with warnings.

Someone mentioned that we may soon be required to wear helmets while on the field. As a well-known "ball magnet," I wouldn't mind.

Jul 15, 2012 at 02:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Deborah Kolt
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Although it won't help you with the through the fence problem, this link discusses the joy of backlighting. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1053271/0?keyword=x#10010960

Jul 15, 2012 at 02:43 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Hey thanks everyone for chiming in... glad to hear I'm not the only one who's run into a little access difficulty. Appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Just as an update, it seems the remainder of their home schedule is at this park, and this specific diamond at the same time of day. Instead, we've picked an out of town date at a more traditional ballpark close to me with better access and we've come to an arrangement for the second session I'm more than happy with. They weren't as critical of the results as I am, but Frank hit it on the head for me... I never like handing over a set I'm not honestly happy about myself.

Deborah I remember that backlit thread and see it got tapped again here... you have some remarkable images in there.

Grant I'm going to go easy on the umps, and more blame the designer of the park. Man, who's with me in demanding that photographers get proper say in the building of new fields, parks and arenas (and lighting!) from now on!

CHEERS ALL!!

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:31 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Many of these fields are being built like prison yards, everything so tight and fenced in. Most here know I'm in a wheelchair and last year I was shooting a 12U softball game at a field that I always shoot at and sat at the end of the dugout with part of my feet on the ground just a few inches outside the dugout and I would bend my head around the fence and shoot batters. Well the teams were still warming up and the ump yelled at me, he freaking yelled at me and told me that I am either all the way inside or all the way outside. I tell him that being outside would not be safe for the girls so I had to leave. Ahole!!!! A couple of weeks ago I am at the same field and a different ump tells me what I can and can't do....................the guy was a good ump but sheesh. So he brings the home coach and visitors coach as witnesses and then asks if I absolve him of all legal whatever if I get injured and I'm like "yeah" hahahaha that's a first. Most umps are very cool with me and I always get out of the way before a player gets near me, I just back up. But some umps are Ahole's who love their authority. I wish I would have gotten that umps name from last year and another ump I see regularly told me to get a name next time. I think he was biased towards cripples

Jul 26, 2012 at 01:56 AM
Vancouver47
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Read Deborah Kolt's post in the linked thread, she leaves me keen to do more backlit sports shooting

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1053271

Jul 26, 2012 at 04:53 AM
hawksfan30
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

great job with this set dj!

Jul 29, 2012 at 06:05 PM
Deborah Kolt
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

John P Mulgrew wrote:
Many of these fields are being built like prison yards, everything so tight and fenced in. Most here know I'm in a wheelchair and last year I was shooting a 12U softball game at a field that I always shoot at and sat at the end of the dugout with part of my feet on the ground just a few inches outside the dugout and I would bend my head around the fence and shoot batters. Well the teams were still warming up and the ump yelled at me, he freaking yelled at me and told me that
...Show more

John, sorry to hear you were hassled. Most of the guys around here are pretty laid back, but occasionally someone has a bad day. In one case where they were touchy before the game, they finally thawed and explained that the fellow who was behind the plate had just come back after an injury - the ball had somehow gotten under his throat protector and hit him straight on. He was still having trouble talking. As a ball magnet who has been hit several times, I understand their concern about safety.

You're absolutely right about it getting tighter and tighter. One of the high school fields here now has a 25 foot (at least) fence around it and the only spot we can shoot from is the opening from dugout to field. The dugout is also fenced. No more shooting from the field. I guess the county got tired of paying for dents in cars and didn't want to have to pay for injured spectators/photographers, too. The more they enclose these small urban fields, the more we are left out in the open - usually just back of the foul line. On one of these tight fields this spring, when chalking off a spot for me, the softball official told me that I couldn't take anything in with me, so that "if the ball missed me, it would still be in play." I would have to come off the field to change lenses, and no more using my roller bag as body shield. First hit of the game went foul, clipped the fence, ricocheted off my shoulder, and smacked me in the face. Sigh.

I've seriously considered getting a helmet. "Softball" is an oxymoron.

Jul 29, 2012 at 07:54 PM
fdevyatkin
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Despite the difficulties, you still managed to get eyes and expressions, which is what we photographers can reveal to the watchers armed only with the naked eye. Nice work DJ!
Fred

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:32 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Deborah For me it was just umps throwing around their authority nothing more, the last guy was a good ump during the game but was just weird. For the most part they have all been very kind to me. Well softball is now officially over for me so looking forward to fall sports

I was at a couple of games this weekend and had to go through the fence, no access at all for the fields. Blue fence and it showed up when using my 200 f/2. Pretty soon everything will be fenced in.

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Beau Arnold
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Return to the diamond and wish I didn't...

Tag

Aug 01, 2012 at 02:24 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password