Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

gail2782

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

I have owned this printer for about three years. I don't use it often because it never seems to print what I am seeing. It is always darker and sometimes it seems a bit muddy.

I always clean my ink nozzels and do what I am suppose to do.

My old printer was and HP but I have to say it always printed exactly what I seen.
I thought upgrading to this printer would be a good move but so far I have more money
on ink and paper.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #2 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

I had a 3800 and it did a really great job. But you have to set up all your color management stuff properly, and be sure to use the specific color profile for whatever paper you are printing to. Most paper manufacturers have profiles for each of their papers and you can download them and install them.

The 3800 is pretty much a pro printer, and it assumes you know what you're doing when it comes to color management.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:25 AM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

I still have a 3800 and unless you simply set the printer driver to 'printer controls color', you're going to have to deal w/ color management from the monitor all the way to the printer.

Is your monitor calibrated?

Jul 12, 2012 at 02:51 AM
johnbirch

p.1 #4 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

Usually if your prints are too dark after calibrating your monitor, your monitor is too bright. Most consumer monitors are too bright.

Jul 12, 2012 at 03:00 AM
gail2782

p.1 #5 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

michaelnel

I guess I don't know as much as I thought.
I do have the printer profiles for my paper and
I use them.

Thanks for you input. I appreciate it.

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:01 PM
gail2782

p.1 #6 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

howardm4

Thanks Howardm4

I did have the printer set that way before but all the folks
I know said that photoshop should control the colors.

thanks so much for you repsonse.

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:03 PM
gail2782

p.1 #7 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

johnbirch

Thank you for responding. My monitor is a little bright but not excessively.
Even if I tried to lighten the image before printing it doesn't seem to help.

thanks again.

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:05 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

the dirty secret is that 'Printer Controls Color' usually yields good results

Like I said, if you go down the Photoshop Controls Color, you will need to learn and use color management, starting w/ a screen calibrator.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:10 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #9 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

I also have mine set on "printer controls color" this still takes into account what you've done in photoshop though. The biggest thing I think in this situation would be a good monitor and having it calibrated though. There are MANY veriables in the printing chain though so it might be difficult for others on a forum to track down your problem(s). Also, you waited for 3 YEARS to ask for help!? Sounds like those people that I hear on Car Talk that have been driving with the check engine light on for years b4 calling.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

Just put some electrical tape over that stupid Check Engine light

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gail2782

p.1 #11 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

JohnBrose

No I haven't waited for three years. I have sought help from various other venues and would just get frustrated and give up.

I appreciate your input.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:50 PM
gail2782

p.1 #12 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

howardm4

Howard thanks again for all your info. I will try it again under that direction and see if I can get it right.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:51 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

Are you sure you arent double profiling?
Scott

Jul 13, 2012 at 12:23 AM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #14 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

howardm4 wrote:
Just put some electrical tape over that stupid Check Engine light

Ahhh. I had put Scotch tape over mine, couldn't figure out why I could still see it. Guess I should have asked here.

Thanks!

Jul 13, 2012 at 01:25 AM
gail2782

p.1 #15 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

Scott, I am sure I am not.
I did do that before but I'm not doing it now.
Thanks gail

Jul 13, 2012 at 01:47 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

Sometimes I find I miss an error despite checking several times. I can no longer "see" the mistake. If this could be happening, best option would be to have someone else look at your settings or copy the relevant screens for us to see. Your mind could have habituated to an error, despite careful rechecking.
Driver settings, PS settings, profile selection, control of printer profiling, choice of processing and printing color spaces, paper/profile match.
Somewhere there has to be a good answer!

Scott

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:19 PM
gail2782

p.1 #17 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

Thanks Scott.

To be honest you could be right. I will try and get it done and post them here or I could pm you.

I have had some health issues in the past and now my mom is ill. I will do it as soon as possible.

Thank you for your kindness and patience.

Peace, gail

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

gail2782 wrote:
... It is always darker and sometimes it seems a bit muddy...

This is most likely affected by three things:
1. A reflective print never appears as bright as a monitor - stating the obvious, just for completeness. I know that your point of comparison is an older HP printer.
2. Your choice of monitor gamma setting can make images appear even brighter.
The 3800 has a moderate tendency to print darker than some other printers (a characteristic that was "fixed" with the 3880, which uses a new ink set).

I would not give up on a fully color managed workflow - calibrated monitor, individual paper profiles, using Photoshop or Lightroom to control color. This is the way for best, most consistent results, once you get it set up properly. Lightroom 4 has an adjustment in the print module for print brightness, which I leave at neutral for the 3880, but can help with brightening prints from the 3800. (I use both those printers.) If you do not have nor wish to use Lightroom, you could make and save a Photoshop curves adjustment layer to brighten images only at the printing stage. IOW, do all your adjustments visually as you have been, then just apply that layer to anything you want to print. You'll have to work out the curve by trial, of course, but start by just pulling up a mid-tone point a bit. This should not only increase the brightness but also give a little contrast which may fix the muddiness you see.

Hope this helps some. Best to your Mom and to you.

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:48 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #19 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

I have an Epson 3800 printer. I use a Datacolor Spyder3Elite to calibrate my monitor, paper-specific printer profiles and softproofing in LR4. I have used this printer more than 3 years, with excellent results. The prints are often stunning, if I do say so myself. If your monitor is not properly calibrated, you are flying in the dark, without a compass. Any adjustment you make to brightness or color in post-processing is just as likely to worsen the print as it to improve it. Letting the printer manage the colors cannot overcome that problem. Getting really good results with any printer requires thoughtful attention to the details I have listed above. The 3800 is capable of amazing results and you can achieve this too.

Good luck

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Epson 3800 pro printer, Helpppp please

Same experience as nma here. Have had the 3800 for just over four years now and even while there are months I don't use it at all, I never have to do a nozzle check and my prints come out perfectly every time. Didn't at first, but the problem was the monitor, not the printer. Nowadays I use a Dell U2711 and a Spyder3Elite and my prints match my screen.

Jul 14, 2012 at 05:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password