Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · OM-D Questions and a comment

Hrow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OM-D Questions and a comment

Couple of questions, and yes I have RTFM but remain baffled.

1. After taking a shot I want the shot taken to appear on the rear LCD with the shooting info for X seconds. What menu item controls this basic function?

2. When using the grip is there a way to assign the on-camera shutter button to be an Fn button? I think I already know the answer to this but it sure would be handy to have as I don't need two shutter buttons but I would love to have a larger Fn button as Fn2 is in an awkward position with the grip on. I am also finding that the Fn2 is less reliable with the grip and will often take multiple presses to activate when using it to control magnification. I suspect it is the angle at which I am hitting the button.

Comment... The top half of the grip makes the camera so much better that it should have been built-in to begin with. Then it could have been done right so you don't have to pull it to get to the battery and there would have been more room on the top for enlarged Fn buttons. To have to pay $300 to correct a design flaw (almost certainly forced by the marketing people bent on reducing the size as much as possible) is a bit irritating, especially since I will probably never use the bottom part of grip so at least half of my money is wasted. End of rant.

Jul 11, 2012 at 01:57 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OM-D Questions and a comment

I probably would not have bought the OM-D if it was bigger than it is now.

Jul 11, 2012 at 02:17 PM
maxx9photo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OM-D Questions and a comment

I'm a happy camper so far with OMD, the added weight on grip accs hold me back, even not by a lot. My idea is just to have lightweight camera for travel with result comparable with DSLR even the smallest size.

Jul 11, 2012 at 06:56 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OM-D Questions and a comment

We can all relate to your rant re grip. I have no need at all for the battery/vertical grip either so I too paid $300 for the horizontal grip which is daylight robbery! I am pretty sure the generic grip will surface before too long ... for half the price.

1. Yes, it's possible ... but the image will play back in your EVF too ... and it will prevent you from shooting rapidly - unlike a DSLR - as the image will not play back in your OVF.

2. I don't know but I don't think this would be possible.

I am having a blast with the OM-D but the IQ is not up to par with a FF sensor ... but good enough for me, and I will take the OM-D on any trip and leave my DSLR behind.

Jul 11, 2012 at 07:52 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OM-D Questions and a comment

bobbytan wrote:
1. Yes, it's possible ... but the image will play back in your EVF too ... and it will prevent you from shooting rapidly - unlike a DSLR - as the image will not play back in your OVF.

I can get the image/info in the EVF. I can get it on the LCD when in Live View. What I would like to do is have the shot / info on the LCD for a quick review when using the EVF without having to push the Review Button. Since this is SOP on virtually every camera in the world I assume I am missing a menu item so if someone could identify it for me I would appreciate it.

Jul 11, 2012 at 08:21 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OM-D Questions and a comment

bobbytan wrote:
We can all relate to your rant re grip. I have no need at all for the battery/vertical grip either so I too paid $300 for the horizontal grip which is daylight robbery! I am pretty sure the generic grip will surface before too long ... for half the price.

2. I don't know but I don't think this would be possible.

I am
...Show more

No, the OM-D isn't going to compete with a D800 on many levels but I am seeing IQ that is pretty close to my old 7D. The size and weight benefits are enormous and the camera is fun to use. The EVF is OK in normal use and actually very useful in dark environments like museums - much better than OVF in those situations as you can actually see what you are shooting.

Mine is going to serve as my back-up body as well as my ultra-wide (Panny 7-14 came today - great fun!) on the very rare occasions when I need ultra-wide professionally. More useful and fun on trips for hoots and giggles and in the confined streets of old cities so I bought it rather than a 14-24 for the D800. The other big deal for me is the flip-out LCD. People poo poo it but it is a great way to get low angle shots without undo pain and agony. I've reached the age where getting down isn't a problem but getting up is.

Jul 11, 2012 at 08:36 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OM-D Questions and a comment

Finally settled on the OMD. It pushed my budget but it feels comfortable, has the features I wanted and image quality is nice. I don't see the need for the battery grip. Just kinda ruins the compact feel of things.

It will take a bit to get used to the hum but it's a very nice camera to supplement my DSLR.

Jul 11, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OM-D Questions and a comment

I love the grip, and I love that it's separate. I usually have the horizontal grip on, but I do take it off on occasion when I want the camera to be smaller. Having that option is great. I don't use the vertical grip often, but I have used it and it works very well. I loved having it when I shot the Memorial Tournament this year.

Jul 11, 2012 at 09:29 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OM-D Questions and a comment

Speaking of the hum ... the loudness varies between copies. I've looked at 2 other copies of the OM-D and the noise level is different on all 3 copies! My copy was the worst - it's so loud it's actually embarrassing, as people would ask about the hum! On one of the copies I could barely hear it even when the camera is right up to my good ear!

I promptly shipped my copy back for a replacement. Having to get back in line again at as the OM-D is back-ordered (again) but I would rather wait and have a good/quiet copy than have to live with the embarrassment of the mosquito-in-camera buzzing noise.

coppertop wrote:
Finally settled on the OMD. It pushed my budget but it feels comfortable, has the features I wanted and image quality is nice. I don't see the need for the battery grip. Just kinda ruins the compact feel of things.

It will take a bit to get used to the hum but it's a very nice camera to supplement my DSLR.

Jul 11, 2012 at 09:57 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OM-D Questions and a comment

For me it's about as loud as the IS on one of my Canon lenses. Maybe the sound your laptop processor makes.

Tempted to send it back but it was like pulling teeth to get the copy I ended up with.

Just heard back from Olympus support and they also said that while the noise levels varied "slightly" (there words) the noise was normal and was nothing to worry about.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OM-D Questions and a comment

I am surprised that they would even admit to a variation in the noise level between copies. Of course they will tell you the noise level varies "slightly" rather than "a lot". To be fair, most people have reported that the hum is not objectionable and is only audible when you are really close to the camera in a quiet room.

coppertop wrote:
For me it's about as loud as the IS on one of my Canon lenses. Maybe the sound your laptop processor makes.

Tempted to send it back but it was like pulling teeth to get the copy I ended up with.

Just heard back from Olympus support and they also said that while the noise levels varied "slightly" (there words) the noise was normal and was nothing to worry about.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:14 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OM-D Questions and a comment

Changing gears... is there a way to have the LCD reflect the exposure? The Live Boost only deals with exposure compensation, right?

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OM-D Questions and a comment

Live boost overrides exposure...to get the LCD and EVF to reflect exposure, turn off live boost.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OM-D Questions and a comment

Thanks... it felt like it should be the opposite.

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:06 AM
tdtaylor
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OM-D Questions and a comment

"No, the OM-D isn't going to compete with a D800 on many levels but I am seeing IQ that is pretty close to my old 7D. The size and weight benefits are enormous and the camera is fun to use. The EVF is OK in normal use and actually very useful in dark environments like museums - much better than OVF in those situations as you can actually see what you are shooting.

Mine is going to serve as my back-up body as well as my ultra-wide (Panny 7-14 came today - great fun!) on the very rare occasions when I need ultra-wide professionally. More useful and fun on trips for hoots and giggles and in the confined streets of old cities so I bought it rather than a 14-24 for the D800. The other big deal for me is the flip-out LCD. People poo poo it but it is a great way to get low angle shots without undo pain and agony. I've reached the age where getting down isn't a problem but getting up is. "

Several weeks ago I returned from a 2 week vacation in Europe with my family, and I left my DSLR at home for the first time. I have to say I enjoyed the trip much more not lugging around my D700 and lenses. I actually was able to take a much wider array of focal lengths in a small bag- and my back feels so much better for it. And the OM-D is much more discrete. I had some Leica equipment also with me, but found I used it very little. Yes, the IQ from the M9 is superior, but the OM-D is just easier to handle, has video (which I used for the first time on a trip), and has many more capabilities. I found ISO up to 3200 very usable, and 16 x 24 prints are looking good.

I'll still use my D700, but for travel it is being retired. I also am retiring it for UW work, as I just ordered a housing for the OM-D. My UW rig should go from 22 pounds to 8-9 pounds. Now that will definitely be much easier to travel with.

Jul 13, 2012 at 03:29 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OM-D Questions and a comment

My thoughts exactly. My 5D II is being retired from travel duty and will be used only for serious portrait work on home ground. I hope to be able to retrench my FF DSLR altogether with the next generation of OM-D sensor, hopefully with the appearance of the E-M5 Mk II.

"No, the OM-D isn't going to compete with a D800 on many levels but I am seeing IQ that is pretty close to my old 7D. The size and weight benefits are enormous and the camera is fun to use. The EVF is OK in normal use and actually very
...Show more

Several weeks ago I returned from a 2 week vacation in Europe with my family, and I left my DSLR at home for the first time. I have to say I enjoyed the trip much more not lugging around my D700 and lenses. I actually was able to take a much wider array of focal lengths in a small bag- and my back feels so much better for it. And the OM-D is much more discrete. I had some Leica equipment also with me, but found I used it very little. Yes, the IQ from the M9 is superior, but the OM-D is just easier to handle, has video (which I used for the first time on a trip), and has many more capabilities. I found ISO up to 3200 very usable, and 16 x 24 prints are looking good.

I'll still use my D700, but for travel it is being retired. I also am retiring it for UW work, as I just ordered a housing for the OM-D. My UW rig should go from 22 pounds to 8-9 pounds. Now that will definitely be much easier to travel with.

Jul 13, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · OM-D Questions and a comment

What makes the hum ? the on board IS or something else ?
Harry Palmer

Jul 14, 2012 at 04:19 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · OM-D Questions and a comment

The on-board IS; the sensor is held in place by magnets and so the hum will be there regardless of IBIS setting (different sounds though depending on the situation and I think people are speaking about the level of their cameras idling when saying it is loud, or not so loud).

Jul 14, 2012 at 04:27 PM
rnb2
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · OM-D Questions and a comment

Hrow wrote:
Couple of questions, and yes I have RTFM but remain baffled.

1. After taking a shot I want the shot taken to appear on the rear LCD with the shooting info for X seconds. What menu item controls this basic function?

2. When using the grip is there a way to assign the on-camera shutter button to be an Fn button? I think I already know the answer to this but it sure would be handy to have as I don't need two shutter buttons but I would love to have a larger Fn button as Fn2 is in an awkward
...Show more

1 - Image playback is controlled by the 'Rec View' setting in the 'Wrench' menu - you can set it to 'Auto', which will display the image until you half-press the shutter, or set it to a number of timed settings from .3-20 seconds.

2 - you do already know the answer to this question

I'm glad that the grip is a separate item - this gives the greatest flexibility for users, with three different configurations to choose from. With no grip, you have the smallest, lightest option; with the battery holder attached, you get a larger, more stable 'platform' for larger lenses and a very useful portrait grip; the horizontal grip falls in the middle.

I've been shooting professionally with the OM-D for about three months (got my first one on 4/19, second in June), and could not be happier. I was previously shooting similar work with a 5D2/7D combo, and my current bag (with all of my m43 equipment) is a Retrospective 7 that weighs about 1/2 of my old Retrospective 30 with two bodies and four lenses. I've found that the OM-D is completely usable up to 6400 ISO (particularly for smaller shots that will be displayed primarily on the web), and the Shadow/Highlight mode has cut my post-processing time down dramatically. It's completely revolutionized how I work.

Jul 14, 2012 at 07:11 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · OM-D Questions and a comment

Thanks for the info. I wish there was an option (other than Auto) that allowed the recorded image to be displayed on the rear LCD on a timed basis even if the image was framed thru the viewfinder. Not a huge issue but it is nice when work patterns don't have to change from one body to the next.

PS. The reason Auto isn't so great is because I am concerned that I'll forget the half press and drain the battery. Never claimed to be the brightest duck in the pond.

Jul 16, 2012 at 03:41 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password