Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · HDR Efex 2

Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HDR Efex 2

Just got the upgrade for HDR Efex 2, and while the interface is different enough (and the presets different too) that in some cases it can be difficult to replicate an HDR Efex 1 shot, overall, the conversion seem to be much faster as well as much more realistic.

Take this shot, for example. I took this last November, and it's a handheld 3 shot HDR on a windy day. The source images didn't line up. The best I could really do with this file with Lightroom 3 and HDR Efex 1 was the following, and it took about 45 minutes of cloning to get rid of ghosted edges on the dock and horizon as well:

I reprocessed it today in HDR Efex 2 and Lightroom 4.1 (which helped get a little more highlight data), with a more realistic look and the automatic ghost removal, which uses a reference image to eliminate ghosts. Does a wonderful job! No cloning at all needed, more realistic tone mapping and, to my eye at least, a much more pleasing result!

Jul 11, 2012 at 01:09 AM
tomrock
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HDR Efex 2

This looks like a pretty interesting update. Thanks for posting.

Jul 11, 2012 at 08:18 PM
pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HDR Efex 2

Have tried the demo and it crashes both Lightroom and PS, so not impressed at the moment

Jul 12, 2012 at 07:44 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HDR Efex 2

Looks really nice. I have only been using Photomatix Pro and may give this a shot now. Thanks for the info!

Jul 17, 2012 at 08:06 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HDR Efex 2

much improved, thanks for sharing.

Jul 17, 2012 at 08:12 PM
dadagallery
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HDR Efex 2

I had the same experience you had, took an old image that I didn't get much out of and it came out smiling in version 2. It was a worthwhile upgrade even though there is always time spent learning the new sliders and settings.

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:06 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HDR Efex 2

dadagallery wrote:
I had the same experience you had, took an old image that I didn't get much out of and it came out smiling in version 2. It was a worthwhile upgrade even though there is always time spent learning the new sliders and settings.

I agree! I participated in many of the Nik webinars that demostrated in "real time" HDR Efx 2.
They are well worth it and many are now online tutorials.
Dan

Jul 18, 2012 at 04:44 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HDR Efex 2

Cool. I don't do HDR much and rather manual blend, but this seems like an improvement from the original. When I was looking into what was the best HDR software from my personal research SNS-HDR seems to have the highest praise for natural HDR, but many people also like Oloneo, Photomatix and HDR EFX.

Jul 18, 2012 at 06:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HDR Efex 2

I just picked it up as well, but when feeding it RAW images I seem to be getting a lot of noise.
Are there any good tutorials for using this? I didn't get to use the first one.

Jul 26, 2012 at 06:50 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HDR Efex 2

Bsmooth wrote:
I just picked it up as well, but when feeding it RAW images I seem to be getting a lot of noise.
Are there any good tutorials for using this? I didn't get to use the first one.

Did you see my remarks above on webinars/tutorials by Nik??
Go to Nik's website for a ton of help.
Thery are excellant. I have not had the noise problem you speak of but if so, have you tried Niks Dfine2.0?
It is an excellant non destructive NR software.
Good luck!
Dan

Jul 27, 2012 at 04:20 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HDR Efex 2

I keep going to the Nik website, but evrytime I try and use the videos they don't work, they never seem to load, at home or at work.

Jul 27, 2012 at 06:28 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HDR Efex 2

Just tried a sampling of all video tutorials plug ins and they all worked fine for me on both PC and Mac
Dan

Edited on Jul 29, 2012 at 02:35 PM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2012 at 08:56 PM
michaelnel
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HDR Efex 2

pr4photos wrote:
Have tried the demo and it crashes both Lightroom and PS, so not impressed at the moment

I had the same experience with it crashing Photoshop CS6 when HDR Efex Pro 2 would exit. Sometimes it would crash PS when it started. Made it pretty much unusable.

However, now that I have converted from Windows 7 to an iMac running OS-X Mountain Lion, HDR Efex Pro 2 works fine in both PS and LR.

Go figure.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:19 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HDR Efex 2

interesting. guess its not keen on PC's

Jul 29, 2012 at 05:20 PM
hidden_Markov
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HDR Efex 2

upgraded last night on a mbp using aperture, no issues. Only issues is Nik seems to have pulled the 1.3 download I would need to properly uninstall it (1.3 to trash can still ahs aperture mention it as a plugin). I have the installer on a HDD somewhere, will jsut dig it up when motivated.

Interface is different. Top of the list thing I noticed was you see your shot selections before the HDR process (my 1.3 did not do this out of the box, not sure if a feature you could turn on). Nifty little change before you waste time with an incorrect import. have not had that problem yet but probably would have in time I wager.

Happy with the upgrade so far. But HDR is relatively new to me to give a 1 v 1 review as did not dig deep into 1.3 tbh. Cheap upgrade all tings considered...just pressed the I believe button for newer is better.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · HDR Efex 2

pr4photos wrote:
interesting. guess its not keen on PC's

No problem with any Nik plug in on my Windows 7 64bit computers and I have them all.

Jul 30, 2012 at 01:47 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password