Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

r-m-g

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

http://zackarias.com/for-photographers/philosophy/respect/

Has anyone read this? I enjoyed reading it for the history if nothing else.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:35 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

pretty fcuking brilliant if you ask me.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:31 PM
bagochips
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

LOVE!

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

very true

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

i enjoyed the history.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

Wow, that was well written, and approached from all sides. I'm sick and tired of hearing photographers complain about how hard it is. I just like hearing someone who DOESN'T do it for a living and DOESN'T complain about how hard it is explain why it's so hard.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

"Wedding photography is one of the hardest damn jobs in photography. Period. End of story."

Love it :-)

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

Sometimes you read something that reflects your own viewpoint so succinctly that it's almost like the author stole your brain. This is one of those articles. 4 and a half years in, I'm worried about the sameness of the clients I'm working with. I'm worried I'll get bored and with it the coverage will get boring. The best weddings I've ever shot are the ones I've had the most freedom during and one of the things I've lined up for the off season is a plan to sit-down and reassess what my intentions are during a wedding and how I can best achieve that. Zach's post makes a lot of sense and, as ever, I enjoy his style.

He doesn't however cover some of the realities of implementing a my-way-or-the-highway approach. Even at the weddings where I've been given oodles of free reign to shoot how I see fit, I get plenty of people coming up to me and asking for boring ass portraits or bridesmaids asking me to photograph the rings. The one that drives me most mad is the driver nearly always asking "Do you want to do the car shot at the venue?". What car shot? What world is this we live in where a shot with a car is not only expected, but seemingly so obligatory that the question is not "Do you want to do a car shot" but rather "where shall we do a car shot". This particular question incenses me internally. Externally I try and shrug it off. Likewise with the 'take my photo' moments or the 'shoot this detail'. Nonetheless I find that I produce the best work, and have the happiest clients when they are willing to relinquish control and offer trust.

Thanks for sharing such a fantastic article. I wouldn't recognise Zach Arias if he walked past me in the street, but I've been following his work for a while now and he strikes me as someone on the vanguard of photographic thinking and for that he has my respect.

With regards the 'embarrassed to be a wedding tog' issue, that's an interesting one. When I got into wedding photography I was quickly immersed in images by such astonishing photographers (particularly Jeff Ascough) that the possibility of not holding the medium in high-esteem didn't even occur to me. Over the last two years however I've had this nagging suspicion that those outside of the industry don't hold us in such high regard and that wedding photography could be viewed as a little passť. When I actually think about it, it's not hard to reason why, but I've never looked at the issue directly until recently and so it's largely been a feeling rather than a conscious realisation. Nonetheless, I firmly believe that great wedding photography is great photography - end of story. It's about walking a tight rope between the sublime and the gaudy and bringing gravitas and poignancy to something a million times more run of the mill than individual brides believe it to be. When it's done well, it's transcendent.

I'm sentient enough to notice when someone has a quiet snigger that I'm a wedding photographer rather than a commercial photographer, but I'm confident enough in the capacity of the medium (if not my own output) to simply nod, smile and know that they've simply never seen what CAN be done with wedding photography.

Wow. Interesting stuff. Really got me thinking.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

I've followed and respected Zack for several years now; but this is in-fucking-spiring.

Jul 11, 2012 at 04:43 AM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

love zack, learned most of what i know about light from him!

Jul 11, 2012 at 05:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

Yes.

Jul 11, 2012 at 06:21 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

I didn't get through all of it but photojournalism started in the late 80's and gained popularity from the early nineties.

Shooting for yourself is what David Beckstead has been saying for years.

Maybe if i read all the way through i would have found a gem.

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

awesome, thanks for posting

i have to agree with him on the history.
my dad shot weddings when it was "poop" of the industry, even though he loved it, he wanted me to be ad and art photographer and i was. i turned to weddings when they became respected job

Jul 11, 2012 at 02:26 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

yeah, I read this yesterday and he knows what he is talking about

Jul 11, 2012 at 03:38 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

my grand dad even photographed dead babies and other family members aside of weddings.
now talk about photo business with bad reputation.

all those who were lightpainting heavy machines on large format cameras were loling at him all day long

Jul 11, 2012 at 04:17 PM
Sergio Mottola
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

why be ashamed of being a wedding photographer? we're the only ones regularly depositing checks

Jul 11, 2012 at 04:37 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

I love being a wedding photographer.

Jul 11, 2012 at 04:46 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

I find the bigger issue is that people in general that I know (not all but I would say 60%) think that owning and operating a photography business of any sort is a big joke and that we just sit around all day and do nothing.

Jul 11, 2012 at 05:06 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

hardlyboring wrote:
I find the bigger issue is that people in general that I know (not all but I would say 60%) think that owning and operating a photography business of any sort is a big joke and that we just sit around all day and do nothing.

A good friend of mine decided to start his own wedding photography business. he called me one day and said hey if you have any inquiries that you're already booked for then send them his way he just started his own business. He said it is great. He did his website in iWeb and it took 1 hour. He edits his photos in iPhoto and uses the auto correct button then adds some of the iphoto effects. The rest of the day most of the week he does whatever he wants.

Fast forward 2 years. He called me and said he wanted to second shoot for me because he wasn't getting enough wedding to make a living.

Yea, some people just don't get it that it is real work. Real Hard Work.

Jul 11, 2012 at 06:07 PM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zack Arias on Wedding Photographers

Nice read!

Jul 11, 2012 at 07:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password