Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Yes another C&C

FLSTCSAM
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yes another C&C

I have watched and read many C&C requests and comments. I think the level here is pretty high and I lurk here pretty often trying to lean whatever i can.

in that light I am asking for an evaluation of my wedding images. Not image by image, :-) just an overall opinion.

http://www.samlinvillephotography.com/Weddings/Weddings/12164918_CPsF5S#!i=865481086&k=fvb8s

I second shoot, and to date my responsibilities have been the guys getting ready, details, ceremony from a different angle, and the reception. All have been in a photojournalist style with out any posing. I readily admit I am poor at posing.

While I am only second shooting I do want to get the best images I can.

So would you hire me as a second and if not where to I need to improve?

Thanks!!

Sam

Jul 10, 2012 at 04:31 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yes another C&C

The images honestly look like they are from the late 80s/early 90s....
They are not bad they are just "dated" looking.
Your other work is much better and more "modern" IMO.
For second shooter stuff they are fine but the soft focus and cliche lighting etc. is not something I personally care for.

Jul 10, 2012 at 04:43 PM
nolte1964

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yes another C&C

I like the images especially of the flowers very nice shots. I guess it is all about taste, some like modern, some like older style.

Jul 10, 2012 at 05:33 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yes another C&C

holly time warp.... it is like i have been transported back in time.
The fake blur ... mr photoshop. come off as not knowing your craft.

Granted there are different styles and taste of PP - but composition and ability to tell a story does not change.

Also need to watch the WB.
I see direct flash or harsh flash.

and Nolte ... there is older and then there is timeless. Timeless is just that ...

Jul 10, 2012 at 05:45 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yes another C&C

I want to thank all who took the time to look and reply. I will remove the PS burred background images and go through my wedding images and redo my wedding gallery.

I am still unclear how to define 80's and 90's looking images?

I am trying to improve my people photography so all input is appreciated.

Sam

Jul 11, 2012 at 03:53 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yes another C&C

Flashy looking TBH.

Jul 12, 2012 at 04:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yes another C&C

The exposures and processing/colors (on most) are wonderful, but I have to agree with the dated composing and simplicity. Get away from the direct flash.

Jul 12, 2012 at 05:34 AM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yes another C&C

Yeah, they definitely look dated and 90's style, and it seems to be mostly because of the direct/overbearing flash...

Jul 12, 2012 at 07:30 AM
VickiB
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yes another C&C

I am no wedding photographer, nor am I in the market for one. However, I sound a fair amount of time looking at this wedding forum (I'm a masochist). I found your photographs very pleasing precisely because they are beautiful and, yes, timeless. I would worry much more that the styles currently in fashion will soon be anachronistic--the tilt-shift lens used for fake blur and fake perspective, the HDR photos that look cartoonish, the excessive use of flare so that all the pictures look hazy and faded. The latest trick is notoriously the fastest to disappear. If I were you, I would take a close look at the photos by Evan Baines and try to learn from his truly timeless techniques.

Jul 12, 2012 at 02:06 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yes another C&C

I agree with the comments above on the flash look.

VickiB wrote:
I am no wedding photographer, nor am I in the market for one. However, I sound a fair amount of time looking at this wedding forum (I'm a masochist). I found your photographs very pleasing precisely because they are beautiful and, yes, timeless. I would worry much more that the styles currently in fashion will soon be anachronistic--the tilt-shift lens used for fake blur and fake perspective, the HDR photos that look cartoonish, the excessive use of flare so that all the pictures look hazy and faded. The latest trick is notoriously the fastest to disappear. If I were you,
...Show more

Not sure how people providing good advice to the OP about better use of flash and composition, is viewed as "trendy".

Jul 12, 2012 at 02:38 PM
marti.g3
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yes another C&C

Plainly put they're old fashioned looking. Brides today want contemporary modern looking images. After all, we are selling to clients mainly in the younger age specific group.

I would say that you are probably in your 50 to 60 age range like me ?

Detail shots are excellent. Posed images need an update to a more modern style.

Jul 12, 2012 at 02:45 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yes another C&C

Thank you, thank you, thank you...................first I will say Even Baines is a person I highly respect on many levels, photography being only one.

While I admit the images on my site have not all been chosen wisely, I am having trouble seeing horrible direct flash. Is it because many faces are clean, bright without shadows?

Also having trouble with the dated look. Is it because the images are mostly un posed and photojournalist?

I am not and will not make any excuses, or but statements! I am listening and trying to see with your eyes.

I know I have limited to no posing skills. I would like to elevate those to at least acceptable levels, but (oops, the but word) that is for a different thread.

And yes I am on the older decrepit side of the time line.

I will redo my wedding gallery, in a week or two, and ask again.

I sincerely thank all who have taken the time to look and post.

Sam

Jul 12, 2012 at 04:21 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password