Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

mineymole
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

Have any of you purchased the Macbook Retina to process your images? If you have, what do you think? Fast enough? What does your software look like etc.

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:46 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

It is plenty fast. We have a 2011 11" MBA i5 4gb ram that we can edit on when needed. That is fast enough. We got the MBPr for in studio editing and it is amazing. So yea, its fast enough.

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:33 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

I get mine next friday and have my first wedding that I will edit on it the next day. I hope it is plenty fast!

Jul 10, 2012 at 03:00 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

any issues with the retina display and the way it looks with lightroom or photoshop?

Jul 10, 2012 at 03:11 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

I don't think it's ready for primetime yet. Sure the unit is faster than the current machines out there but if you run/hack at full res, the machine stutters along due to graphics processing. If you use it in default Retina mode, only the applications that support Retina will work which means FCPX and Aperture. Photoshop CS6 and LR run in "about" standard mode which means that you won't really see a huge difference in the amount of pixels displayed. You have the option to run at 1920x1200 but that can also have hiccups when you're running 2 retina apps at once. If you're looking at a Pro machine, better wait until they work out the kinks. Right now, I think it's still too gimmicky to be a Pro product. If you don't mind editing using the 1440x900 base resolution, it's a great machine and will replace 2011 Macbook Pros nicely. I've also been warned by the company that you do need to cycle the battery once every 3 days so if you're not traveling with the RMBP, you should buy an iMac.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

What if I am using a larger display and not the retina for image processing?

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

I honestly think you will be fine. I bought the Apple Thunderbolt display for editing. The only time I use the Retina display is when I am mobile. I don't think it will have any stutter or issues when in clamshell mode hooked up to an Apple Display.

Jul 11, 2012 at 02:07 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

Thanks for the input Ryan.

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:45 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

I bought one and am waiting for a 16gb version to arrive. In the meantime I picked up a base level 8gb model from the apple store to test it out. It feels faster than my 2012 21" iMac (256gb SSD 2.8hz 16gb) and runs the software just fine (better than just fine). In terms of raw power, it has plenty.

The display is amazing but using non-retina apps kind of degrades the image quality at the standard settings of the macbook. However, I downloaded a little setres app that uses the 2880x1800. Text is BARELY legible at this scale but if I'm just culling with photomechanic I don't need to read anything and it looks absolutely stunning. Same with LR--I can edit it with this resolution since I don't really need to read the text.

I also hooked it up to a 27" TBD at home and it powers that very well too. My 21" iMac stutters more than the rMBP when connected to the device. Primarily I'll be using it for final edits on my 27" screen so I don't mind that LR/Photoshop aren't updated yet (though I hope they will be soon). At the same time it is nice to have the portability. I will note that it's a bit too big to really do much work on a plane (in economy) and if that's important, I'd wait til they get a 13" version of it.

I don't know why people say it's not ready for prime time...it's as powerful as any machine out there and I'm looking forward to replacing my imac + air combo with just a single machine.

hope that helps.

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:58 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

what is the point of buying a laptop with a supposedly awesome screen if you cant utilize it to its fullest potential? And even more - if the full potential actually slows the computer down? or- if the main editing you will be doing is via an external monitor....

Here is an analogy -

They make 4k Tvs out there. They make 4k projectors as well.... but what would be the point of buying one here and now? There really is very little native format material out there ( think software for the macbookpro) and by the time there will be native material ( software for computer ), new models will be out and there will be far better performance in these new models that perhaps have hardware changes that are catered to the 4k market and native format.

Jul 12, 2012 at 07:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

mineymole wrote:

If that is case - why would you waste your money on MBPr ? You should use extra money saved between 2012 MBP and 2012 MBPr to purchase a quality monitor and go with 2012 MBP. There are too many compromises with MBPr to make it worth its price for PRO use.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM
Rav13
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

I've moved from PC based to mac, so until the mac pro gets released I bought a MBP retina.

It's really fast!!!! I'll use that to replace the desktop for a while, its good, software isn't too much of an issue, it looks slightly blurred but still useable. Can't wait for the updated adobe products, but overall I'm impressed with it, now I need to find a suitable workflow with 1 external harddrive and 1 desktop harddrive including backing the photos up.

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

mjoshi wrote:
If that is case - why would you waste your money on MBPr ? You should use extra money saved between 2012 MBP and 2012 MBPr to purchase a quality monitor and go with 2012 MBP. There are too many compromises with MBPr to make it worth its price for PRO use.

I'm not sure this is really the case. I priced them both out and by the time you add an ssd drive and 16gb ram to the MBP 2012 it is almost as expensive.

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:30 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

mineymole wrote:
I'm not sure this is really the case. I priced them both out and by the time you add an ssd drive and 16gb ram to the MBP 2012 it is almost as expensive.

Have you looked into doing both of this on your own instead of paying Apple ?

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

mjoshi wrote:
Have you looked into doing both of this on your own instead of paying Apple ?

$1799 Base MBP (4gb RAM, 5400rpm 500gb HDD, 512mb 650 Nvidia GTM
upgrade to 256gb SSD: ~$2-300 (from newegg prices)
upgrade to 16gb RAM: ~$100
upgrade to high res anti-glare screen: $100

Total price for 16gb, 256GB RAM + base MBP = ~$2199-2299. That's with a 512mb vid card (says you can upgrade to 1gb vid card but i did not see that option).

$2199 Base MBP with Retina (8gb RAM, 1gb 650 Nvidia GTM, 256gb SSD)
upgrade to 16gb ram: +$200

Total price: $2399

Retina seems like a better deal to me.

And again, using the retina for processing I see no slowdown in my workflow. So performance concerns are moot. I considered getting a non-retina macbook pro, but in the end it didn't seem to save me much.

Jul 14, 2012 at 12:20 AM
gabemc
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

i don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy a cheap macbook and spend the money on a tower? i couldn't imagine editing a wedding on a laptop.

just bought a new 13" i5 macbook pro for email and travel. but my editing will always be on my tower in the office.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:25 PM
ryan21
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

i don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy a cheap macbook and spend the money on a tower? i couldn't imagine editing a wedding on a laptop.

just bought a new 13" i5 macbook pro for email and travel. but my editing will always be on my tower in the office.

Well, like many here they are waiting for a legitimate Mac Pro update. My 2006 Mac Pro is about 8x slower than the MBPr so in many ways it is a fabulous replacement! Especially hooked up to the Promise Pegasus R6 for superfast editing. My Mac Pro, as good as it was, will never touch the MBPr. I also have two Apple Thunderbolt Displays which are quite good for editing on. For me it is a stepping stone. I will get a new Mac Pro next year and then the MBPr becomes a purely mobile workstation.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:47 PM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

I will say that the RMBP is faster than the MBAs if you run it at base settings for the screen. If you just don't care that you are getting only 1440x900 in screen real estate, it's awesome. The maximum speed for while it's plugged into the wall is also excellent. If you constantly have it plugged into the wall, you'll kill your battery in about 1 year so I hope you purchased Applecare. If you're mobile in the field, the extra speed of having flash storage and MBP level processing is excellent but IMO it's still lacking the full potential speed. Also Photoshop and non-retina apps look pretty bad on the screen and don't give you a realistic view of what's really going on with your photos. If you're an Aperture or FCPX user, the Retina resolution is great but it also doesn't give you any extra screen real estate. Right now, the largest issue that I had was with slowdown when you're running multiple layers in PSCS6 at the higher base res that can be hacked in. The text is also abysmally small so you can hardly read it. While you do get a true 1:1 on the screen at this point, the GPU is choking on it and the lags get to be pretty bad if you go beyond 15 layers. Maybe I had a bunk machine but from other users I've checked with, it seems to be consistent across the board. I also can't justify carrying a 15 inches anymore so I switched down to 2 Z-spec 2012 11-inch MBAs for dual processing in the field with a Z-spec iMac and Mac Pro for in-studio processing.

@ryan21
How's the Pegasus R6? I was afraid to get one due to the horror stories of multiple drive failures within the first few months and the long wait times for getting replacement drives. Is it stable for you?

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:23 PM
PatFurey89
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

gabemc wrote:

Amen.

I've got a Mac Pro with all of the HD bays filled, ram maxed out, etc, etc. It looks clean, easily expandable, and it's fast.

The only thing that sucks is the latest Mac Pro doesn't even have Thunderbolt... Apple is seriously lacking when it comes to updates to the line. Here's to hoping a new Mac Pro drops in 2013.

Jul 16, 2012 at 04:30 PM
EVO088
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Macbook Retina - processing weddings

I thought that the R-MBP has the memory soldiered on and can't be upgraded other than buying with the max ram option? please tell me this isn't true!?

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password