Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

morganb4
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

Im after a new phone. Curious about ditching my iPhone and getting a Galaxy s3 instead.

Except....its massive. If I was 21, I might feel ok, cool and trendy about getting out of my pocket but Im not, I'm 42 and I kind of feel like a dick using something that size as a phone.

That being said, Im 42 and Im starting to find the iPhone screen hard to read.

Any experience? iOS or Android?

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:48 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

have you looked into iGlasses?

yeah I mean normal eyeglasses.

Using something larger than an iPhone makes your old-ass self feel like a dick (I can say old-ass self as i'm right behind you buddy... 40.5 and counting)...

...and you can't read your iPhone.

The solution seems obvious.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:55 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

I am short sighted so when I need to use my phone I just flick up my glasses and put the thing 12 inches from my nose...all good (but actually heading into dick territory now I think of it).

When I wear contacts, which I do on a shoot, I cant easily get the phone close enough to focus and still read the text.

This last year I really feel like I have been hit by the old age truck.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

I think the Galaxy S2 is smaller? My sister has one, runs very well, although a few niggles (no LED light on the front, she seems to get weird spam in her notification bar). It's not a small phone, but not huge either.

I use a Motorola Defy because it was offered in the contract, and it was something a little different (harder wearing, but still a cheaper smartphone). Marketed as "Life Proof". I think there is a Defy+ now, which is probably better, runs android 2.3 I think (so still lower spec). Mine is unstable with the latest firmware, but I'm putting up with it. It's my first smartphone so it'll definitely give me some perspective for the next one...

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

morganb4 wrote:
I am short sighted so when I need to use my phone I just flick up my glasses and put the thing 12 inches from my nose...all good (but actually heading into dick territory now I think of it).

When I wear contacts, which I do on a shoot, I cant easily get the phone close enough to focus and still read the text.

This last year I really feel like I have been hit by the old age truck.

Dick issue aside, have you actually tried one of those larger phones to see if with your contacts things would be significantly better... I can't really imagine that one would go from "can't read the iphone" to "oh yeah baby!" on a 1" larger screen ... or am I underestimating the size of the phone we're talking about? (not knowledgeable about phones ... and can't stand contacts... tried but failed miserably)

have you tried going contact-free during the session... justa djusting the diopter on the camera? and using your glasses otherwise? Or is the no-glasses on a session a "I'm too sexy for my Glasses, too sexy for my classes too sexy it huuuuuuuuuurts...." thing?

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

^I cant see it working Ale, sure a dioptre adjustment would work but then I would move camera away from eye and not see stuff in the environment that I should be getting. I'm -2.00 either side, not massive but bad enough.

I also cant just use glasses either as for some reason I cant see the active (black) AF point on the 5D3 with glasses on. Has to be contacts or dioptre adjustment.

Yeah OK, look at the phone with contacts in and figure it out, good idea.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM
sfr002
• •
p.1 #7 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

I just got the Galaxy S3 and love it! The phone isn't that big it's not like carrying around the Samsung Note.

You can also change the text size on the screen for the viewing impaired

The features on the S3 are fantastic!

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:43 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #8 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

I have a Samsung S3 too, getting used to it now.

Love it.

I used to have a Wackberry.

Fortunately I'm am cool enough to look the part with it.

(35 years and counting...)

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:51 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #9 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

sfr002 wrote:
I just got the Galaxy S3 and love it! The phone isn't that big it's not like carrying around the Samsung Note.

You can also change the text size on the screen for the viewing impaired

The features on the S3 are fantastic!

I was just going to mention this. I wasnt sure about the S3, but I know my HTC Incredible 2 (a year old) does NOT have a text enlargement option. My dad actually bought the same phone I did and he was complaining about the small text. I searched all over for an app that could increase the native text size of everything in the phone, but nothing exists.

In the process of my search, I learned that the iphone DOES have a text enlargement option (have you used it?). So you might not need a new phone.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #10 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

I loved my original Droid and I love my iPhone 4, with a few reservations. Overall I am happier with the iphone though. Not sure what to suggest regarding the vision thing. I have TERRIBLE eyesight -7.25 in both eyes, but thankfully my contact lenses clear this problem right up. Speaking of which, I am going to toss a spare contact into my pelican case, just in case. Phwew.

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

MattSepeta wrote:
I loved my original Droid and I love my iPhone 4, with a few reservations. Overall I am happier with the iphone though. Not sure what to suggest regarding the vision thing. I have TERRIBLE eyesight -7.25 in both eyes, but thankfully my contact lenses clear this problem right up. Speaking of which, I am going to toss a spare contact into my pelican case, just in case. Phwew.

-7.25 How do you manage to blink with contacts like that

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:07 PM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #12 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

Coming from a Blackberry Curve I thought my new Galaxy S2 was HUGE. I did get used to it though and love the features and performance. No problems or glitches whatsoever. The S3 is even larger but I guess you'd adapt to that as well. Great phones.

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:28 PM
sfr002
• •
p.1 #13 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

Here are the font sizes on the S3

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:32 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #14 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

I'm also using an iPhone at the moment, but my contract is up next month. I'm seriously looking at both the S3 and the Note. The thing is that now I use my phone as a web connected devic most often and a phone a couple of times per day. Accessing email and the web is more important than the phone functions. I don't really wan to give up my apps an have to start again if possible.

I'm happy with the iPhone so I may just wait until September to see if Apple bring out something with a bigger screen.

Gordon

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #15 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

ricardovaste wrote:
I think the Galaxy S2 is smaller? My sister has one, runs very well, although a few niggles (no LED light on the front, she seems to get weird spam in her notification bar). It's not a small phone, but not huge either.

I use a Motorola Defy because it was offered in the contract, and it was something a little different (harder wearing, but still a cheaper smartphone). Marketed as "Life Proof". I think there is a Defy+ now, which is probably better, runs android 2.3 I think (so still lower spec). Mine is unstable with the latest firmware, but
...Show more

Tell your sister to download Air push detector. That will tell her what app(s) are giving her the spam notifications

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:42 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

iPhone 4s.

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:44 PM
ted nghiem

p.1 #17 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

I just moved to the iphone 4s. I had the incredible (1st gen) till last month. I doubt the next iphone will have a larger screen.

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:51 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

I have the Samsung Galaxy S2 for 2 reasons:

1 - It's an Android phone and I'm locked into Google/Android. I avoid Apple at all costs.

2. It was the best available Android 4G phone at the time of purchase

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:52 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #19 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

I ditched my iPhone 4 for the Galaxy S2. Best move I ever made. Save myself about $80 a month, and the phone is a lot more versatile than an iPhone.

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:01 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #20 · OT : Phone time, what do you use and why?

hey Ben, I have always owned Sony Ericsson and I ♥ Sony! I currently have the Xperia Arc which is great though of course the one I really wanted wasn't and never became available in Australia which was really annoying.

I've always been able to adjust my phones to have larger text... Are you able to do that with your current phone?

My husband had the iphone but it was a piece of junk -maybe he got a dud- but he put up with it for two years. I made him upgrade to a samsung nexus and he loves it! He downloaded more apps for his nexus in one week than he had for the iphone in 2 years. The size is significantly bigger than the iphone but that's why he prefers it as he always had difficulty typing on the iphone keypad.

Hope it helps?

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:04 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password