Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Second Camera Options

zndr
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Second Camera Options

As I start to shoot more events, weddings and other time sensitive things, I am in clear need of a secondary camera.

At the moment I'm using a 7d and I love it to pieces, but I've been trying to figure out what to do for a second camera. I want something that will both be as professional grade, but also add a tool to my box.

I've been weighing any of the following options

1D classic (it's cheaper than the rest, but has some restrictions, great IQ only for a few hundred bucks, and it's the only canon camera that can shoot 1/16,000 second shutter and go higher than a 1/250 flash sync which tickles my imagination)

1DII Not a bad price, 6-700 great and rugged a bit more modern than the 1Dc, but doesn't have the same shutter speed. At the same time both the 1d's are not Full frame, and there by don't bring THAT much more to the plate than say, a gripped 7d other than weather sealing.

1Ds classic, this full frame beauty is rugged and durable, has great IQ and it's full frame. It's a bit on the older side, but comes with great benefits over any other option, full frame and durable with a vertical hand grip

5Dc This is an obvious chice in this pool, but it lacks severely in the AF field. It has a lighter body, but still rugged, is easier found with better quality conditions and it's Full Frame.

I figure I'd rather go up in model rather than down, all of these can be had for less than 900 bucks (the 1Dc can be had for less than 400) and they all offer something different.

What do you all think?

For reference my current lens selection is as follows.

50mm 1.4
85mm 1.8
20-35 2.8L
8mm EFS (apparently works on aps-H)

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:19 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Second Camera Options

5Dc is the greatest Canon camera ever made.
Buy one and be happy.

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:05 AM
stevez32
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Second Camera Options

I've had all of of these cameras at one point or another (still have a 1d and two 5dc). The 5dc just beats everything else in its price range for image quality. I don't have any problems with using it and focusing has never been a major concern for me.

What I really really don't like about the older cameras is the lack of the AF toggle to select AF point. Oh and noise is not so hot as well.

As fun as the 1D is, I can't imagine delivering a wedding client the 4mp images and still be billed as a professional. If you are shooting important once in a lifetime moments for money you should have commensurate equipment.

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:08 AM
Raulsphoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Second Camera Options

With your lens line-up you should definitely go for the 5d classic. They are going or dirt cheap right now.

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:31 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Second Camera Options

5D for sure. If we shot Canon instead of Nikon, we'd have picked up a pair of these for the price of one of our D700s and never looked back.

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:41 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password