Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

aztwang1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

+1 on the mounting for Arca..Never thought of that. Below is another tale of woe that was posted on Nikonians,,,,,:

"I know there are already threads talking about the aftermarket grip but none of them end like this! I had the worst morning today. Last night my Meike grip for the D800 arrived. I put it on inserted some fresh new 2500mah Sanyo enloops and the d800 felt just like the d300 with grip, comfortable with my big hands. I went though all the buttons & dials and all seemed fine. Just before bed I noticed I had the in camera battery for the D800 still on the charger. I left it there and went to bed anyway. When I woke up I decided to put the in camera battery in and preceded to take off the brand new grip. The thumb wheel turned about one revolution and then the gearing inside stripped out. It stripped the ---- out! Madder then you know what I spent the next 30 min trying to get this thing off my camera, no dice. The only way this thing is going to come off the camera is for me brake apart the grip and get to the screw to turn it by hand or something. Now, I am probably one of the most mechanically inclined people on the plant so I felt pretty confident I could get this thing off without damaging the camera, which I did but the grip is toast. I hate to think how this would have played out if it was someone that was not so mechanically inclined.

I believe some where on this forum I posted that I was not very happy with the price Nikon is charging for this grip/battery holder and I am still not. This was the first time I strayed away from genuine Nikon parts, it will also be the last time. After I got this thing off my camera I went straight to B&H, it's replacement will bet here Thurs! I have sent the seller a email explaining what happened and asked for a refund, still no word. I will reserve my feedback until I here form them or three days which ever comes first. They are 11000 positive at like 99% so I am not too worried though.

So for anybody on the fence for the aftermarket grip or the grip form Nikon I would stay away from the aftermarket. If one starts to think about all that could have gone wrong here it could have been a disaster."

Jul 25, 2012 at 05:11 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

JBPhotog wrote:
And there is the rub. Third party grips are going to have different tolerances and designs that camera plate makers are never going to consider. So if you are ever going to slap an RRS or Kirk L-bracket on your camera don't buy third party. And I might add, if you are ever going to put any kind of Arca plate on the bottom of a third party grip be advised it is screwed into plastic and won't be as solid as the Nikon grip.

Strange, in my non-Nikon grips the threads are stainless or titanium. I do have a video cam with plastic threads.

Jul 25, 2012 at 06:49 AM
Pinarello65
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #3 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

FYI grey imports are down to about $370-$375 now. I got my MB-D12 genuine from DCTrade in Hong Kong (eBay), $375 with FedEx delivery. It looks like it came from Nikon South Korea, looking at the warranty card in the box.

Jul 25, 2012 at 07:28 AM
rick_reno
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

aztwang1 wrote:
UPDATE on Pixel Grip:
It worked great, good match aesthetically, no issues with operatio...BUT RRS grip does not fit. Wont allow battery compartment to open. The Pixel is going back tomorrow if anyone wants it contact me. Looks like its a Nikon grip for me.

This is what would keep me from getting one. It has to work with the RRS L bracket.

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:38 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password