Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Matt OHarver
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

sante wrote:
jhinkey, I hope these will help you decide. If you have other questions let me know, and I will try to answer.

Sante

In the last photo you have posted, that grip looks way smaller where it meets the camera, then the base of the camera. It almost appears as though it would teeter on that. Can you take a full profile shot of that and post it? It looks way too narrow in that area.

Jul 15, 2012 at 02:55 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

The Nikon grip I have works. I never ventured into buying third party grips due to possible quality issues. To each their own I guess.

Jul 15, 2012 at 03:09 PM
sante

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Matt, maybe this one shows the fit better. I don't think it's really a problem.

Sante

Jul 15, 2012 at 04:08 PM
sante

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Maybe somoeone else can post a pic of the Nikon grip attached to the camera. That will probably help get a better idea of how each one fits.

Sante

Jul 15, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

sante wrote:
Maybe somoeone else can post a pic of the Nikon grip attached to the camera. That will probably help get a better idea of how each one fits.

Sante

I agree I'd like to see a comparison between yours and the Nikon one.

It's been a few years since I shot with anything other then a D3 series or Canon 1 series which has the grip as part of the body. But I seem to remember my 5D and 7D back in the canon days as the grip fitting much better than that at the bottom width.

Matt

Jul 15, 2012 at 04:13 PM
sante

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

I compared the dimensions based on the manual for the Nikon MB-D12 and the Meike and there is a slight difference.

Nikon Meike
W 6.0 6.1
H 2.0 2.1
D 3.2 3.0 (this is probably the difference in what Matt was referring to)

Jul 15, 2012 at 06:14 PM
jlawrence
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

i felt like cheap grips were worth it.

until one zapped my first d700.

geeze, how many times do I have to put the warning out there.

Jul 15, 2012 at 07:46 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Here's some pics of it.

http://www.darklightimaging.com/img/s1/v47/p636896580-5.jpg
http://www.darklightimaging.com/img/s2/v51/p1028594029-5.jpg
http://www.darklightimaging.com/img/s3/v25/p410284895-5.jpg
http://www.darklightimaging.com/img/s11/v34/p132604240-5.jpg

Jul 15, 2012 at 08:01 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Julian, can you take one from the side profile with no L bracket on it.

Matt

Jul 15, 2012 at 09:07 PM
JulianDeLaRosa
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Sure. I'll post one soon.

Jul 16, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

sante wrote:

Sante

Looks quite different for me.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:41 AM
tdong
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Here is my pixel.

only 1 battery or 8aa
feel bigger than the horizontal grip. the angle is not as slope. all function works as expected.
everything is plastic except for the pin and the tripod mount which has a long metal piece inside extend the whole lengh.

so far worth $100 buck. also there is usb port as well

Jul 16, 2012 at 09:59 PM
fotobahn

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Any ideas what the USB port is for?

Jul 17, 2012 at 06:10 PM
tetrode
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

tdong wrote:
Here is my pixel.

all function works as expected.
everything is plastic except for the pin and the tripod mount which has a long metal piece inside extend the whole lengh.

so far worth $100 buck. also there is usb port as well

Lucky you. My Pixel arrived today. DOA. None of the controls work at all. The camera does see the EN-EL15 battery in the grip but that's it

Jul 17, 2012 at 07:53 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

I'm not going to read through all 3 (so far) pages here so my apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the MSRP on most advanced goods is only the price of entry. Manufacturers factor in accessory sales as a major part of the total ROI, investment and pricing decisions.

In the case of the D800 series, they make this extraordinary technology available at a "lower" price point (good for us) and make up some of the gross margin "shortage" on a ridiculously expensive grip (no doubt among other things as well).

Not so good for the percentage of buyers Nikon counts on to purchase the grip as we're essentially subsidizing lower prices for those that don't or go third party.

Nevertheless, it's a legitimate business strategy and more power to those that go third party without it frying your multi-thousand dollar investment.

For myself... I like Nikon gear and will pay for OEM simply because I want the coherent system, don't want to worry about third party inconsistencies and I accept that funky pricing strategies are a part of what put the remarkable technology in my hands in the first place.

Jul 18, 2012 at 06:43 AM
aztwang1
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Just received the Pixel grip I ordered. Well made, matches body perfectly, feels great in my hand, operation is butter...No issues what-so-ever.

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:06 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

I've used both Nikon and third-party. The one grip that gave me problems was the Nikon.

If using third-party gear voids the warranty, what of Sigma, Tamron or Tokina?

Do third-party grips use non-standard electrons? Or is it the batteries inside that give off strange shaped electrons? Yes, I use non-Nikon batteries on occasion. I have used a non-Nikon charger on Non-Nikon AA batteries. Did this void my warranty? What about non-Nikon flashes?

IIf third-party equipment voids your warranty, why don't the sellers warn us of that fact. Why doesn't Nikon warn us about third-party equipment voiding the warranty?

Hell, if the name Locophoto is cause to totally disregard a person, then what of "runamuck", which is a clever word play on my real name? Did the moniker "Leroy Abernathy Shuttleworth Jones make me black in the early 1970's?

Jul 19, 2012 at 08:13 AM
Tete
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

I think the nikon would sell plenty if they weren't pricing themselves silly high. It is essentially the same as the D700 and should be priced accordingly. It doesn't supply special features that are not expected or isolated to Nikon technology. it's a grip.

Just my opinion.

Jul 19, 2012 at 08:53 AM
aztwang1
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

UPDATE on Pixel Grip:
It worked great, good match aesthetically, no issues with operatio...BUT RRS grip does not fit. Wont allow battery compartment to open. The Pixel is going back tomorrow if anyone wants it contact me. Looks like its a Nikon grip for me.

Jul 24, 2012 at 06:52 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

aztwang1 wrote:
UPDATE on Pixel Grip:
It worked great, good match aesthetically, no issues with operatio...BUT RRS grip does not fit. Wont allow battery compartment to open. The Pixel is going back tomorrow if anyone wants it contact me. Looks like its a Nikon grip for me.

And there is the rub. Third party grips are going to have different tolerances and designs that camera plate makers are never going to consider. So if you are ever going to slap an RRS or Kirk L-bracket on your camera don't buy third party. And I might add, if you are ever going to put any kind of Arca plate on the bottom of a third party grip be advised it is screwed into plastic and won't be as solid as the Nikon grip.

Jul 24, 2012 at 07:20 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.