Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

aztwang1
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Anyone out there received their aftermarket grip..Pixel or otherwise? Like to hear some
reviews so that I can make a decision on which way to go.

Jul 09, 2012 at 10:41 PM
LocoPhoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Just read a post on dpreview Nikon D800 forum that gave it a rave review, saying is is absolutely exactly the same as the Nikon branded grip.

He mentioned it being a Meike grip for $89.

Hope that helps,

Loco

Jul 10, 2012 at 05:57 PM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

LocoPhoto wrote:
Just read a post on dpreview Nikon D800 forum that gave it a rave review, saying is is absolutely exactly the same as the Nikon branded grip.

He mentioned it being a Meike grip for $89.

Hope that helps,

Loco

I find it hard to believe "it's exactly the same".

Jul 10, 2012 at 06:01 PM
LocoPhoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

The grip is just a piece of plastic and some low level electronics....it's not a Space Shuttle. The materials are just plastic and a leatherette grip...so if you're using the same supplies, and forming plastic from the same 3D file on a computer..you get what is pretty much indistinguishable from what Nikon is paying some factory to produce using plastic and leatherette.

Buy one if you're not convinced...they have a return policy.

The cost of making these plastic grips by Nikon hasn't gone up dramatically, so there's no justification other than greed for a $400 grip. Pretty silly to waste $320 more on the Nikon grip just because it has five letters on it.

Quality is quality...just spend $80 and and enjoy a great grip, that's my plan, and have done that for years with no issue whatsoever. It's not like you're buying a sensor and trying to make it work....it's just a plastic chunk screwed onto the bottom of a camera.

Even the joystick feel is reportedly the exact same.

LocoPhoto

Jul 10, 2012 at 06:33 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

every release of a new body we hear the same complaints about the price of the Nikon grip versus the third party grip. In the past People who have bought the third party grip end up having issues with there bodies. It may not cause issues with everyone's body but it happens with more times then not. If something should happen to your body using a third party grip and Nikon may not honor the warranty.

Jul 10, 2012 at 06:38 PM
jamach
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

well, I have hesitancy over the 'same' word. I don't think those 3d party grips can handle the big battery. They only do the small battery, if at all. Thus, they do not offer all the features.

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Joe

Jul 10, 2012 at 06:40 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

jamach wrote:
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Joe

My question is, what do you get from the D800 grip that you didn't get with the D700 grip? What features justify the increased cost (nearly double)?

Jul 10, 2012 at 08:32 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

brett maxwell wrote:
My question is, what do you get from the D800 grip that you didn't get with the D700 grip? What features justify the increased cost (nearly double)?

This is the first time I've needed a grip, since I have been shooting D1 through D3s. For me, the D800e needs a grip. I like that it takes AA batteries or EN-EL15. Past experience with 3rd party equipment left me with the impression that 3rd party items tend to be made cheaply, while Nikon produces solid periferals.

Most people here can only guess as to Nikon's price points. Not sure that using the EL15 battery is part of the pricing. I don't know and don't really care. Either I'm willing to buy the grip or not. Thankfully there are 3rd party options for those who will not pay Nikon's price. I hope the 3rd party grips don't malfunction nullifying our warranty.

I bought Nikon's MD and like it.

Jul 10, 2012 at 09:12 PM
LocoPhoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

"It may not cause issues with everyone's body but it happens with more times then not."

That just isn't true. If it were...why aren't there threads and threads and threads of complaints and warnings by people that have had a bad experience. There are very few threads actually, as the ones that have an issue are the exception, and many times the issue is a third party battery INSIDE the third party grip...not the third party grip itself being the problem. Retailers like Amazon wouldn't continue to carry grips that were known to cause bodies to fail either, and they've sold third party grips for years. And the feedback on those grips is strongly positive.

"YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"

Joe...for one this isn't true....it's the basic foundation of a lie of what's called the "value proposition" in sales...if the manufacturer or company can get you to perceive that their product has a higher value than another product, than they can charge the higher price and get you to believe it's worth it, even if the product has no greater intrinsic value. In other words...if they can get you to give them as much money as they can, they're willing to take as much of your money as they can. That's not how good business works. That's how selfishness works.

So...with "you get what you pay for"...I'd ask that for $80, what aren't you getting? I have a $20 grip on a Rebel XSi for over a year, and multiple third party grips before that, and never a problem. And I know no one who has had a problem, and I used to interact with thousands of people a year, for many years, and none of them ever had anything but gratitude and praise for the third party grips. Third party batteries were another story...but the people that had an issue did zero research typically on which one they bought. There are plenty of good third party batteries as well.

The reason for Nikon's price hike on the grip is obvious....to make more money by consistently slowly or dramatically raising prices to find the most that people will spend, just like Canon's price of $3500 for basically a 5D MkII with functioning autofocus. To both I say no thank you.

Jul 10, 2012 at 09:28 PM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

^^ This, constantly slow supply keeps prices inflated until another gives consumers what they want, at the moment it's 36mp, the Grip helps keep the price inflated and perceived value, your camera is not whole until you have a grip, you bought half a camera, I'm not buying a Grip unless its got a Ferrari stamp on it, I've been sold a half camera. Remember Fuji S3 with inbuilt grip. Nice to see where going forward.

Jul 11, 2012 at 08:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Paul_K
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Although I agree about the ridiculous high price of the MB-D12, just for the record I'd like to mention it's not made from plastic but some kind of metal alloy. So it's nice and solid and does not flex when heavy lenses are attached to the body, or when the camera is attached through the grip on a tripod (IMO never recommendable anyway), which explains part of the price difference with the all plastic cheap knock offs.

Got mine at a lower price then the recommended sales price, and as I had an MD-10 lying arouf around from when I had a D300 several years ago, in the end I paid a considerably lower sum

But again, yes, the standard price is ridiculous high

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

LocoPhoto wrote:
"It may not cause issues with everyone's body but it happens with more times then not."

That just isn't true. If it were...why aren't there threads and threads and threads of complaints and warnings by people that have had a bad experience. There are very few threads actually, as the ones that have an issue are the exception, and many times the issue is a third party battery INSIDE the third party grip...not the third party grip itself being the problem. Retailers like Amazon wouldn't continue to carry grips that were known to cause bodies to fail either, and they've sold
...Show more

Google third party grips causing issues with D700 there are many posts out there. Also this has been discussed before on this forum.

Jul 11, 2012 at 06:26 PM
supergimp

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

LocoPhoto wrote:
The grip is just a piece of plastic and some low level electronics....it's not a Space Shuttle. The materials are just plastic and a leatherette grip...so if you're using the same supplies, and forming plastic from the same 3D file on a computer..you get what is pretty much indistinguishable from what Nikon is paying some factory to produce using plastic and leatherette.

I can attest that the Nikon OEM grip IS NOT just a piece of plastic. It is the same magnesium or aluminum construction as the D800E body I have. I know, because I managed to drop my D800E with MB-D12 and 70-200 f/2.8 attached onto concrete from about 2 feet halfway through my first shoot. Everything worked ok, so I continued. No loss. Upon later inspection, the brunt of the impact had been taken by the RRS L-plate (just some scuffs) but both the camera body and the grip had a small scuff through the finish on the side opposite the L-plate. In both spots the substrate was most definitely metal.

I believe that some of the 3rd party grips may be of very good quality. I have no first-hand knowledge to say otherwise, but having seen some of the previous 3rd party iterations, I opted to order the real MB-D12. Maybe I spent too much - I probably did, but I have it, I love it, and I'm not looking back.

Jul 11, 2012 at 07:16 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Grip is grip. Who cares if it is made of plastic or not. It does everything including the heavy battery. Grip is one area I will continue to buy from third party. My D800 pixel battery grip just shipped today. I can't wait to unwrap that baby.

Jul 11, 2012 at 07:34 PM
traylorc
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

LocoPhoto wrote:

That just isn't true. If it were...why aren't there threads and threads and threads of complaints and warnings by people that have had a bad experience. There are very few threads actually, as the ones that have an issue are the exception, and many times the issue is a third party battery INSIDE the third party grip...not the third party grip itself being the problem. Retailers like Amazon wouldn't continue to carry grips that were known to cause bodies to fail either, and they've sold
...Show more

There are threads out there Loco.... just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. Did you go around and count all the threads that have ever been posted to determine "there are very few threads"? Perhaps there are not many threads on fredmiranda.com from people complaining about aftermarket grips. But this is one of many, many photography websites. Try using Google....you will find threads on this problem. I'm not stating that there are rampant problems with third party grips, but don't act as if there are no threads out there.

Secondly, the folks who have actually endured a problem with a third party grip likely don't care that problems with third party grips may be "the exception to the rule". Individuals should understand that there is chance, no matter how slight, that the grip may cause a problem. Those problems may result in expensive repairs the camera owner may have to cover out of pocket. I'm not advocating whether or not to use a third party grip. However, anyone who elects to buy an aftermarket grip should acknowledge the potential risk and buy accordingly. Some individuals who have spent a significant portion of their disposable income on their camera(s) may not want to take the chance on using aftermarket products, Everyone has to assess their own tolerance for risk and make an informed purchasing decision.

While I'm glad you have never had a problem with a third party grip on your Rebel XSI or that you have interacted with thousands of people for years, and years, and years....that doesn't mean there is not some risk associated with aftermarket products. And at the end of the day, you may have a higher tolerance for risk than fellow forum members.

I respect the fact you are an advocate for aftermarket grips, but l also respect those individuals who are wary about purchasing aftermarket grips.

Jul 11, 2012 at 07:53 PM
jjf88
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

$59

http://www.amazon.com/Meike-Vertical-Battery-Nikon-MB-D12/dp/B008FJJ66C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1342053301&sr=8-2&keywords=d800+grip

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM
jjf88
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

and this one..mmmm

http://www.amazon.com/MeiKe-MB-D12-Battery-Holder-EN-EL15/dp/B008HMZ076/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1342053301&sr=8-4&keywords=d800+grip

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Thang
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

@jjf88 - both are Meike and from the same seller. I wonder what's the diff?

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM
LocoPhoto
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

Bruce Sawle wrote:
No arguing against you Bruce, just trying to keep facts in play so we can all decide on accurate info. When you say ".... but it happens with more times then not." then that is what I'm saying is definitely not true....it's not true that more than 51% or more of third party grips across the board fail or cause a failure. And showing one body, the D700 out of all the camera bodies out there from all manufacturers just doesn't do anything to debase my pointing out that your comment is vastly over exaggerated.

For fun...I also did
...Show more

Jul 12, 2012 at 02:53 PM
LocoPhoto
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D800 Aftermarket Grip...Feedback??

traylorc wrote:
There are threads out there Loco.... just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist. Did you go around and count all the threads that have ever been posted to determine "there are very few threads"? Perhaps there are not many threads on fredmiranda.com from people complaining about aftermarket grips. But this is one of many, many photography websites. Try using Google....you will find threads on this problem. I'm not stating that there are rampant problems with third party grips, but don't act as if there are no threads out there.

Secondly, the folks who have actually endured a
...Show more

"There are threads out there Loco.... just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they don't exist."

I said there are very few threads, not that they don't exist. By very few I mean "very few" in comparison to the vast number of complaint-free people using third party grips with no issues.

"Individuals should understand that there is chance, no matter how slight, that the grip may cause a problem."

There is a "slight chance" that the Nikon grip can cause a problem too, since nothing manufactured is manufactured perfectly.

"But this is one of many, many photography websites. Try using Google....you will find threads on this problem"

Been reading multiple photography forums for a long long time, and again...I never said I wouldn't find threads by some people, a very small percentage of people, running into an issue, which is most often the battery being the problem and not the grip.

"Those problems may result in expensive repairs the camera owner may have to cover out of pocket. I'm not advocating whether or not to use a third party grip. However, anyone who elects to buy an aftermarket grip should acknowledge the potential risk and buy accordingly."

Again...grips don't damage camera bodies any more than tires damage engines. Batteries can damage a camera, and maybe a freak thread or two are out there about the grip being the culprit, but let's face it, many people posting on the internet are not the most credible sources of information, and not all threads are even of honest intent...some are just shills for marketing purposes by companies trying to scare people away from buying third party products.

"While I'm glad you have never had a problem with a third party grip on your Rebel XSI or that you have interacted with thousands of people for years, and years, and years....that doesn't mean there is not some risk associated with aftermarket products. And at the end of the day, you may have a higher tolerance for risk than fellow forum members."

I actually don't have a higher tolerance for risk...I just research the truth and buy based on facts. The vast majority of grips on Amazon have a four star review.....

Oh...I also have a D800e, D800, 5D MkII (two of them until recently), and have had almost every Canon body they made dating back to pre-digital years. My 30D was the last grip that I bought made by Canon, the third party grips have all been equal in quality and much much less expensive, freeing up money to spend more wisely on glass or other expenses.

"I respect the fact you are an advocate for aftermarket grips, but l also respect those individuals who are wary about purchasing aftermarket grips."

I'm an advocate for facts and truth, to whichever conclusion they communicate.

Just my two cents....not saying there is NEVER a problem....but Nikon and Canon can't say they NEVER have a problem either....

LocoPhoto

Jul 12, 2012 at 03:16 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password