Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

Mitch W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

Time to revisit this. Seems to be quite a few 5D3 users here now who have shot thousands of wedding images. Feel free to vote and then elaborate. I am ready to pull the trigger on a new camera body, upgrading from the 5D1.

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:26 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

Mitch W wrote:
I am ready to pull the trigger on a new camera body, upgrading from the 5D1.

Excuse me! WE prefer the "5D Classic".

Jul 09, 2012 at 08:07 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

I voted for the second option, although I think I'm somewhere in between 1 and 2.

We love the body... we've been on board since day 1 and it has lived up to all of our expectations. The 5DmkII felt like such a great body, but now in comparison, it feels so inadequate when we grab it.

Jul 09, 2012 at 09:42 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

Voted #2, but still feel that this is the best wedding camera on the market.

Jul 09, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #5 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

It's really fast for me, and I like the tones from it. I still shoot my 5D classic when I have the time.

Jul 09, 2012 at 10:10 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

I think there are so many small things that don't really have a quantifiable result by themselves.... but when combined they make a huge difference.

1. The shape of the camera... the ergonomics. They are better and more comfortable than the 5Dc or the 5DmkII... does that lead to better shots. Maybe not, but it is easier to hold the thing comfortably for 8 or 9 hours and maybe that does lead to more shots because you aren't fatigued and tired.

2. The focus system is just so much better... the fact that you can actually use all of the points as opposed to center only makes such a big difference when setting up shots exactly as you envision them.

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:33 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

It's amazing. We have three. After a while you forget how much better it is than the 5D2... But it is.

Jul 10, 2012 at 01:36 AM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

I love love love my two 5DIIIs but I do wish there was some sort of focus point illumination for shooting in dark venues.

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:00 AM
StowePhoto

p.1 #9 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

I am really starting to love the camera after my first three weddings. Loved and still use the 5DMKII but find the MKIII superior in many ways.

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:40 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #10 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Having skipped the 5D2 I have pretty high expectations for the 5D3.

How serious is the focus point illumination issue Diane mentions? Does it pose a huge problem in the dark venues?

Jul 10, 2012 at 04:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #11 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

I voted 2. Although I'm not sure exactly what "features" would push it into #1.

I only have one and while I shoot primarly with one camera, I use two cameras for small parts of the day and now that I've edited several weddings with both, I'm blown away by how bad the focusing is/was on the mk2. I mean seriously, I obviously dealt with it just fine, but the new one must be so much more brainless that the "omg-make-sure-you-get-this-in-focus" part of my brain that used to have to run 24/7 on the mk2, is possibly no longer functioning. 2/3 of my shots from the mk2 nowadays are worthless.

Jul 10, 2012 at 04:42 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #12 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

AF is amazing except...I'm a little disappointed that it can't focus in as dark venues as my old 40D can. That camera could lock onto any contrast the eye could see, whereas the 5D3 hunts and can't lock on.

Focus point illumination in dark areas is definitely an issue. Even the red illumination through the entire VF is an issue, because when using lenses like the 85L II it essentially paints a huge red target on your face

Jul 10, 2012 at 04:58 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

Dawei Ye wrote:
AF is amazing except...I'm a little disappointed that it can't focus in as dark venues as my old 40D can. That camera could lock onto any contrast the eye could see, whereas the 5D3 hunts and can't lock on.

Focus point illumination in dark areas is definitely an issue. Even the red illumination through the entire VF is an issue, because when using lenses like the 85L II it essentially paints a huge red target on your face

Honestly... I don't understand what you're talking about here.

Jul 10, 2012 at 06:44 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

RichardLavigne wrote:
Honestly... I don't understand what you're talking about here.

When the viewfinder lights up, you see it through the lens. It's even more apparent with a large aperture lens. In other words, people can clearly see you're shooting them. That bothers me too, but there are so many good things about this body that I am willing to overlook some of its flaws.

Jul 10, 2012 at 07:22 PM
BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #15 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

I still quite like my D700's...

Jul 10, 2012 at 07:25 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

BKphotography wrote:
I still quite like my D700's...

these fools haver never shot nikon

Rent a D3/D3s and do a wedding and you will be selling 5d3 faster than you bought them haha.

Jul 10, 2012 at 08:47 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #17 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

I must be the only only one with a mark III that has focus issues...

Jul 10, 2012 at 08:58 PM
RyanFlynn
• • • •
p.1 #18 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

hardlyboring wrote:
these fools haver never shot nikon

Rent a D3/D3s and do a wedding and you will be selling 5d3 faster than you bought them haha.

Cough. Nope. Cough.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM
gabemc
• • • •
p.1 #19 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

best digital slr i've used...and i've had a few.

love it!!

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:04 PM
anthonyket
• • •
p.1 #20 · 5D3 Wedding Performance Poll

Its a pretty damn good DSLR, but thats it. Does not do the washing nor cook me dinner when i'm hungry

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:12 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password