Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Do you ever feel like...

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Do you ever feel like...

... you should be more lenient with pricing if the client has made an extra effort to help you do your job? It sounds silly reading that back even now. On Saturday I must have spent nearly 6 hours with them (B&G, MOB, FOB) going to the venues (50 mins apart), discussing details, walking through some samples. They even made quite a large lunch and invited me to share. We all got on really well of course.

So I wrote out the invoice just now and felt a little weird. Perhaps it's just because I'm relatively new to this...

In summary, I am weird, yes?

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:49 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Do you ever feel like...

ricardovaste wrote:
In summary, I am weird, yes?

Yes, you're being weird. You stick to the contracted pricing.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:52 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Do you ever feel like...

I will say this...
After we KILL a wedding I often feel like we should have charged them more.
Normally the weddings we do a bang up job at are the ones that are the easiest to shoot.

More money = more value placed on what you do.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:54 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Do you ever feel like...

You spent 6 hours unpaid? Think of charging them the full amount as partial payment for those 6 hours.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:55 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Do you ever feel like...

Hmm you're right, often afterwards I feel like I should be charging more for the amount of work I do. Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely not giving them any sort of discount after the price was long agreed (very clearly too, they're well aware of the price), just a weird feeling I had. I'm full of lots of weird feelings though, so good to know this is another one to repress

Inku Yo wrote:
You spent 6 hours unpaid? Think of charging them the full amount as partial payment for those 6 hours.

No, I did not say that.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:59 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Do you ever feel like...

So to be clear, this is pre-wedding consultations you are doing, and you spent 6 hours with them and are charging them an hourly rate for your consulting, separate from the total wedding day fees?

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:06 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Do you ever feel like...

stevez32 wrote:
So to be clear, this is pre-wedding consultations you are doing, and you spent 6 hours with them and are charging them an hourly rate for your consulting, separate from the total wedding day fees?

Yes. That is how I do it personally. I work out the expenses and time involved before the wedding which is non adjustable. The hourly rate then takes into account the on-the-day shooting and the processing, and I give them flexibility with how many hours they have (but don't discount what I charge per hour. It'll sometimes go up slightly if I feel it needs to).

Oh and to be clear on this actual example: I went an hour over what I'd usually allow for this. But that was personal decision which I'm happy with. The day involved around 4 hours driving, so was happy to have a little time to rest and chat. This was the only time I'll see them before the wedding (because of distance) so was fine with taking an extra hour here.

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:18 PM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #8 · Do you ever feel like...

No way...the price is the price. A lot of math and calculations go into my pricing and how much I need to make, I'm not giving that away because I feel all warm and fuzzy inside

I can understand your feelings though!

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:25 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Do you ever feel like...

You're being British and seeing them as friends and it's terribly not cricket to charge friends for things and your natural instinct is to say "ooh just call it a tenner" for something that you should be charging 50 for.

I do it all the bloody time.

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:42 PM
jofoto photo
• • •
p.1 #10 · Do you ever feel like...

6 hrs of your time and you haven't shot the wedding yet, I'd call it extended customer service, If this is your main occupation i'd get over the invoicing bit and be glad you got someone to invoice. Anybody you know have trouble invoicing You !!

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Do you ever feel like...

Gifts say a lot more than discounts.

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:12 PM
zalmyb
• • •
p.1 #12 · Do you ever feel like...

amonline wrote:
Gifts say a lot more than discounts.

this. Throw in a lo res disc or a nice 16x20. doesn't cost you much but on their part shows that you care.

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:24 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Do you ever feel like...

KibblesNbitz wrote:
No way...the price is the price. A lot of math and calculations go into my pricing and how much I need to make, I'm not giving that away because I feel all warm and fuzzy inside

I can understand your feelings though!

Lol, I think you and Chris completely get what I was talking about
zalmyb wrote:
this. Throw in a lo res disc or a nice 16x20. doesn't cost you much but on their part shows that you care.

This is a good point, I don't know why I didn't think of this when writing it out as I'd already thought about gifts on the Saturday after meeting them. The bride is an art teacher, and really enjoys teaching B&W film photography, so I have something related to this to give her (I have an old, but good quality fixed lens rangefinder I might wrap up for her... It's nice, and not worth anymore than I'd usually have worked in for a gift). I think I'll either send a small collection of prints or a nice large one to her parents like you mention.

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Do you ever feel like...

i know your feeling.

on most wedding, regardless of the job i do, i feel like i should be paying them .

if i would not have kids, i would probably be the first tog on the world who would pay to attend weddings. I would even pick 80% of couples we book now.

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:46 PM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Do you ever feel like...

I like how you talk about your pricing as if it's a punishment...

LENIENT?

WTF?!?!?!

ha ha ha

+1 to hooking them up post wedding with a nice thank you. Don't be like that Beaumont dude and his tenners

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Do you ever feel like...

To be fair Ale, I normally have to make ammends for yet again breaking up some guest and his hot ginger (ex) girlfriend.

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:51 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Do you ever feel like...

This is some kinda touchie feelie thread....I betta get outta here

BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Do you ever feel like...

lisy78 wrote Don't be like that Beaumont dude and his tenners

Nice.

BKphotography
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Do you ever feel like...

cordellwillis wrote:
This is some kinda touchie feelie thread....I betta get outta here

Stay a while... make yourself comfotable Cordell.

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:53 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Do you ever feel like...

BKphotography wrote:
Stay a while... make yourself comfotable Cordell.

Well that doesn't sound even slightly sinister.

Jul 09, 2012 at 07:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password