Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

MarcAnthony
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #1 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

Hey guys. I'm sure some of you know about this but I wanted to put it out there. I just downloaded and signed up for Bitcasa. It's provides unlimited storage and is really cool. I just uploaded three weddings to it for my clients to download from. All for a total of 45GB. Check it out. http://l.bitcasa.com/oXAsr33b

Jul 09, 2012 at 04:32 PM
amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

I'll wait to see what they're REALLY going to charge after Beta.

The comments are worth reading: http://techcrunch.com/2012/06/20/bitcasas-unlimited-cloud-storage-service-is-now-in-open-beta-raises-7-million-series-a-round/

Jul 09, 2012 at 04:38 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

I don't know why people keep turning to online storage. Who knows whether any company is going to be around tomorrow or if they're being responsible with your data, nevermind the ridiculously long time it takes to upload anything unless you have a crazy connection...

The best way is to do it yourself and keep backups regularly and stored off-site.

Jul 09, 2012 at 04:52 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

life is too short to spend a minute on start up cloud storage testing imo.

i trust amazon at this moment because it is simple and transparent, yet backed up by reasonable big company. It is not free, but is unlimited.

Jul 09, 2012 at 04:52 PM
MarcAnthony
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #5 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

It's $10 a month for unlimited storage. Don't know how they can do it that cheap but hey, I'm not complaining. Also, you should never count on one way to backup your data. I always keep my RAW files on external hard drives, burn those RAW to JPEGS and then burn them to disc. It's just another medium. Think about Facebook too. Free advertising and unlimited photo storage. How do they do it? Advertising. I'm sure Bitcasa will gain some powerful advertising dollars to keep this going. Wait and see I guess.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:01 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

MarcAnthony wrote:
It's $10 a month for unlimited storage. Don't know how they can do it that cheap but hey, I'm not complaining. Also, you should never count on one way to backup your data. I always keep my RAW files on external hard drives, burn those RAW to JPEGS and then burn them to disc. It's just another medium. Think about Facebook too. Free advertising and unlimited photo storage. How do they do it? Advertising. I'm sure Bitcasa will gain some powerful advertising dollars to keep this going. Wait and see I guess.

Those companies all rely on people now using the service to the full extent. Same way banks work.
If everyone uploaded all their data (or as much data as we as photographers have) the company would tank because it would not be profitable to provide that kind of storage for people.
Same thing if we all went to the bank and demanded all of our money in savings. They would look around and shit a brick and then everything would go to hell.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

yea but:

- bank can make moneys with your money
- bank can give your moneys to somebody else who demands it now, so can keep only part of them
- bank is insured by government and have steady ways of income (way too steady)

those services have none of it, but some startup VC moneys. they cannot pull any ad moneys because you are obviously not going to share your data with whole world to make them good ad target either. Facebook can.
uploading data to them (even if you do not care about that somebody else will have access to them or encrypt the hell out of it) is imo only waste of time even if it would be free.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:37 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

TTLKurtis wrote:
The best way is to do it yourself and keep backups regularly and stored off-site.

Correction: The best way is to do it yourself and keep backups regularly and stored off-site AND backup to the cloud.

Jul 09, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

Zenfolio is still cheaper and offers more.

Jul 09, 2012 at 10:56 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

The beauty of options. Do or don't do are the answers.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #11 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

TTLKurtis wrote:
I don't know why people keep turning to online storage. Who knows whether any company is going to be around tomorrow or if they're being responsible with your data, nevermind the ridiculously long time it takes to upload anything unless you have a crazy connection...

Absolute truth. DVD archives in a safe deposit box for me.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Bitcasa Infinite Storage

TTLKurtis wrote:

Online storage is not a good idea for a primary backup. However, it makes for a very cheap second backup (or third copy) of your data.

I pay $50 a year for unlimited online backup. That is NOTHING.

I cannot even imagine the time and hassle it would take to burn all of that data to DVD (or even Blu-Ray), then get in my car and drive it somewhere every single time I wanted to "backup" my data. What a PITA that would be.

As for upload, I have a 4mb/s upload stream and everything backs up in the background when my computer is idle. It doesn't really "take" any time because the process is automated. And if you have a decent connection, backup is actually pretty quick.

Jul 12, 2012 at 01:35 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password