Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

From what I could see and tell, the AF performance of the 1D X is sure impressive and seems to be better, not surprisingly if I may add, than that of the 5D Mark III. Can any FMer that has both the 5D Mark III and the 1D X do a taped pin test using a 1.4X TC on an f/5.6 lens and compare the performance between the two bodies and share the results here, please? Thank you!

Jul 09, 2012 at 09:16 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

Which pins to tape again? I can then use my 400 DO.

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:31 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

you might want to read about this Kenko TC ....

Kenko TelePlus MC4 AF 1.4X DGX Teleconverter

thread discussing focus working at F8 due to it being a non-reporting TC ...

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/100220-Kenko-1-4X-TC-5D-Mark-III-Questions

Jul 09, 2012 at 05:35 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

stanj wrote:
Which pins to tape again? I can then use my 400 DO.

Hi Stan,
Thank you for your reply. I tried to look up my previous thread about the ability of the 5D Mark III to AF at f/8.0 with a 1.4X TC with 3 taped pins but I couldn't find it . Fred posted a picture of the TC, showing which pins you have to tape to get that effect.

At any rate, you need to use an f/5.6 lens, such as the 100-400mm zoom or the 400mm f/5.6 or the 800mm f/5.6 to test that. The f/8.0 aperture should but reached by adding a 1.4X TC to one of those lenses and not by adding a 2X TC to an f/4.0 lens. If you have one of those lenses, please tape the first 3 pins looking from the side that the lens will be mounted on. You can use a small piece of Scotch tape to do that. It is really simple.

Thank you for offering to do the test,
Joshua

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:30 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

Hmm. The only 5.6 lens that I have is the 28-300 and it won't take any TCs (physically impossible), and I don't have a 2x TC - so I guess I'm out of the running for this test...

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:42 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

Oh, well. Thank you anyway. Let's hope somebody else can do the test before this thread disappears into the land of the dodo...

Jul 09, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

AGeoJO wrote:
At any rate, you need to use an f/5.6 lens, such as the 100-400mm zoom or the 400mm f/5.6 or the 800mm f/5.6 to test that. The f/8.0 aperture should but reached by adding a 1.4X TC to one of those lenses and not by adding a 2X TC to an f/4.0 lens. If you have one of those lenses, please tape the first 3 pins looking from the side that the lens will be mounted on. You can use a small piece of Scotch tape to do that. It is really simple.
Joshua

Aha!
AGeoJO wrote:
...Let's hope somebody else can do the test before this thread disappears into the land of the dodo...

I have the 100-400 and 1.4X II, so I can try this with the 5D3, but I don't have a 1DX for comparison. What might be interesting is comparing this to the same combo on 1D4. The latter would AF with no tape needed, but center point only. I tried that a bit about two years ago, but had no more use for it after I got a 300/2.8 and a 2X III. It may be interesting to see if it works ok with the outer points when the TC is taped. Not that I'll bother with the slow zoom and TC except in an emergency, and this is OT from your question anyway.
Too bad Peter (Petkal) is so slow to latch on to new bodies! He has an 800 and lots of suitable subjects!

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:24 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

Photon wrote:
Too bad Peter (Petkal) is so slow to latch on to new bodies! He has an 800 and lots of suitable subjects!

You got that right, bruder Jess.
However, so far I like everything about 1DX except its loathsome price .....therefore, kinda thorn here, whereas with 1DMkIII and IV, I couldn't care less.

Sorry, Joshua, I have no camera bodies needed here, thus I am unable to help you.

Jul 10, 2012 at 05:07 AM
ClausC
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

the pins to tape are those in the opposite end of the three raised pins (which are power and ground for the USM, don't tape those!!).

the 5Dmk3 + TC2 +TC14 hunts a bit, but can AF on static targets (with a little care), btw. (TC14 is not detected, so the camera sees a f/5.6 lens).

Regards

Claus

Jul 10, 2012 at 03:56 PM
ClausC
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

With the 300/2.8.... sorry /Claus

Jul 10, 2012 at 03:58 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

70-300L at 70mm + 2x TC + 20mm extension tube (to make it fit and which also brings it worse than f/8) doesn't AI servo at all, it just does a weak sounding rack and goes right past the focused point without even a hesitation

that is a worse than f/8 test though

Jul 10, 2012 at 05:10 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

skibum5 wrote:
70-300L at 70mm + 2x TC + 20mm extension tube (to make it fit and which also brings it worse than f/8) doesn't AI servo at all, it just does a weak sounding rack and goes right past the focused point without even a hesitation

that is a worse than f/8 test though

What AF point?
My 7D does that at f8 ( 100-400 + 1.4 TC taped) on the centre point. Every other point works fine (also my 40D would not use the middle point at f11 . 5.6+2x. But would try on normally succeed on the other 8)

I don't use the TC very often but when I do I normally set the 7 to the 9 point middle zone . One of the other 8 will normally pick up where the middle one can't .

Jul 11, 2012 at 01:53 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

I do have a 5D Mark III and based on my own test both on a 100-400mm lesn and 800mm f/5.6 lens, the AF works just fine, including its AI Servo, even for indoor lighting conditions. In this case, all 41 cross-type AF points work, better than just the center AF point of the 1D series body. On the other hand, a f/4.0 lens with a 2X TC does not AF well at all unless the lighting conditions are really good and still it is not reliable at all.

As we all know, according to Canon the 5D Mark III and the new 1D X will not AF at f/8.0. Period. I believe I started to figure out why Canon did that. Apparently, it depends on how the effective aperture of f/8.0 is reached. If that aperture setting is reached by adding a 1.4X TC to an f/5.6 lens then it will work but if a 2X TC is added to an f/4.0, it will not. Rather than trying to qualify that condition, Canon decided to just categorically qualify both new cameras as not being able to AF at f/8.0. They know that some folks will be able to figure it out for themselves and will do/adjust accordingly.

Again, the reason for this thread is to find out whether there is any difference in AF performance between the 5D Mark III and 1D X if an f/5.6 lens is used with a 1.4X TC. There are 3 Canon lenses that qualify for this: 100-400mm (the smallest aperture is f/5.6), 400mm f/5.6 and 800mm f/5.6. Either Mark II, Mark III or even Kenko 1.4X TC should work for this purpose but the first three pins of the TC on the side that faces the lens should be taped to trick the camera to think that there is no TC is there. I can see and I am hoping that the 1D X will perform better than the 5D Mark III, of course but the proof is in the pudding. I hope that someody with both bodies and one of those three lenses can do the comparison.

Thanks,
Joshua

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D Mark III and 1D X with 1.4X TC - AF performance difference?

Joshua

I am getting very sharp images with the 5D III / 400mm F5.6 / Kenko TelePlus MC4 AF 1.4X DGX Teleconverter. There is a bit of vignetting on a few shots, but it does not matter as I crop the image from the center. I need to test this more as most shots have no vignetting notable. I have not seen an issue with CA, contrast is good, and colors good.

I am using a single center focus point and focus is quick and accurate. It seems fine for BIF but I have not tested that yet. Just the combination I needed for small birds.

Jul 11, 2012 at 01:09 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.