Upload & Sell: On
Before I go into this, I'd like to say that I think you did great, especially with the motorcycle/high fashion style stuff. Really, you did quite well.
My detailed responses typically go completely unnoticed on FM here, but here you go:
1. Underexposed. Not a fan of this one. He's also looking at her boobs (awkward).
2. I love sunflare, but this one just looks straight out of the camera to me. Maybe try some new processing on it? The soft background bugs me.
3. I like this silhouette, but maybe more as a B&W image?
4. I don't care for the processing on this...Show more →
Thanks for the constructive feedback, which is very helpful and appreciated.
A few notes in response:
1. Fill flash would definitely have been nice here, due to the harsh morning sunlight coming in from behind them putting them into shadow. However, it wasn't an option due to the distance I was from them, on the other side of the flowers. If my wireless setup was working, I would have had my assistant on the ground hidden below and in front of them to help, but the PocketWizards don't yet work with the 5D Mark III, so I had to use a long cable, which I couldn't really run through the flowers in the botanical garden. My wife noticed his eyes too! It was difficult on many of these to find just the right pose in the many we took. I loved her face and hair on this one; in others where his eyes were better, she wasn't in just the right position or pose.
2. This was actually processed a fair amount, but I can experiment with some other methods.
3. Tried B&W, but liked this better. They immediately loved the colorful foliage in the background when they looked at the photos.
4. My original setup for these shots was to have the hands (and engagement ring) in focus, and blurred out from there. I adjusted the aperture to get more in focus as I shot a few. In hindsight, I like the composition and expressions on this one so much that I wish I'd closed it down more, but I didn't. I can sharpen it more than it is here, but I wish it were clearer. You didn't notice the reflection of my assistant and my leg in the tank! I need to fix that.
5. I might have that other pose, I'll have to check. We got a bunch of different poses here, including some where they are together.
10. I shot a bunch of these - again, either the light wasn't right, the background was some crappy looking distracting 7-11 or something, or one of the two's expression wasn't quite right. This one was closest to having all I wanted, but not quite there.
12. I wondered the same thing, although I looked at several in that sequence with her smiling, pensive, etc. and the eyes were all about the same. May have been the bright light, not sure. She wasn't looking right at it.
13. This was shooting almost directly at the sun, just before sunset. It was basically a silhouette. When I adjusted it in Camera RAW to see what I could get from it, it turned into a sort of nice washed-out sunflare effect, so I tweaked it a bit and went with it.
15. I noticed that as well - again a trade-off where many other things about it I liked, and others in the sequence were not quite as good.
20. Yes, I did put an HDR effect on this one. I liked the train car, but none of the shots I took there really looked like much, other than that they were posing on or in that car. Applying the HDR effect gave it a little more overall pop and interest. I've got a some others with the red dress which were okay (see this and this), but that I wasn't thrilled with the lighting in. We were on a street, under a canopy in the mid-day sun, and it was VERY hot. It looks like the sun was reflecting off the sidewalk below, giving them an unflattering lit-from-below look.
Thanks again, much appreciated!