Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2004 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

BiscottiGelato
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

As subject. I am in the market for a camera bag and locked on the Crumpler brand for it's stealthiness and acclaimed comfort. The Tallee seems to fit more than my gear and with enough room for moderate expansion of lenses. However it does look odd for it's taller than wide. I want to ask if there are owners who can comment on this. Is it awkward to carry the Tallee since it's taller than wide? Also, any pictures to show? Would the top compartment (vertically unmounted to the camera) or the hidden compartment (no velco and fit in sideways) fit a 70-200 f2.8 IS? If not the 70-200 f4L?
Thanks!

Jul 16, 2004 at 03:25 PM
BiscottiGelato
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

nboody got a Tall-e to show?

Jul 20, 2004 at 01:30 AM
Antje
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

I own a Tallee but not the lenses you mention. It isn't awkward to carry, actually it's quite easy to lug around and sort of comfortable due to the big straps. But it's a big bag nonetheless, not stealthy at all. Just considerably smaller than the huge backpacks and so on.
The hidden compartment easily accommodates my new Tamron 180, the top compartment is not really huge. My 10D fits in there horizontally with the 15-30 attached and the dividers taken out - but nothing else. With the Tamron 90 it's a different thing, that one fits vertically and I can put something else in there too. The Tallee really is only for the smaller equipment. I really don't know if the 70-200 2.8 would fit in there.

Antje

Jul 20, 2004 at 03:45 AM
puffmoike

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

I own a Tallee. A bargain as well: cost me two slabs of Empire Lager at Crumpler's annual "Bags for Bier" sale in Australia.

It houses my 300D with kit lens and the 70-200f4. Most people don't realise it's a camera bag (but once I pull out the 70-200 they're not really in much doubt ). That it's taller than it is wide makes not a lick of difference to anything as far as I'm concerned.

My equipment fits almost perfectly in the top compartment. I put the camera - with the kit lens mounted - in left hand-side down, facing the front of the bag, so that I can grab the grip easily. The telephoto lens - with the lens shade reversed - is an almost perfect fit on the other side of the (moveable) divider. In this configuration the velcro aligns perfectly when the top flap is closed.

Having said that it is a pretty tight fit. The rubber surround on my eyepiece often gets dislodged when I pull the camera out. More worryingly the lens cap often seems eager to help out by having already removed itself.

The telephoto also fits into the "hidden chamber of secrets". It's great for sneaking the white lens past security guards looking for "professional" gear at concerts and sports events, but otherwise it's a bit of a pain to access.

At 8mm wider the f2.8 would almost certainly be too big for the bottom compartment, and it would be a pretty tight fit in the top if it did fit there next to a camera. Furthermore its extra 21mm in length would mean that the top flap wouldn't sit 'cleanly' when closed, but that would be more of an aesthetic consideration than a practical one. I often leave my telephoto attached to the body (or perhaps more accurately my body attached to the telephoto) and quite happily just rely on the straps to keep everything in place when I ride my bicycle.

My guess is that a 10D with a 50mm mounted *might* fit alongside the f4, but with any other zoom lens (other than perhaps a modified EF-S) I'd guess you're only going to fit a single body and lens in the main compartment.

Michael

Jul 20, 2004 at 10:05 AM
BiscottiGelato
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

Hmm.
Then the 2 long lenses/4 small lenses + 2 bodies + hidden chamber of secret on the crumplerusa site is quite decieving.....

Jul 20, 2004 at 11:03 AM
BiscottiGelato
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

BTW, anybody hvae pictures to show of how things fits in their Tall-e?

Jul 20, 2004 at 01:05 PM
Erik Kolb
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

or pics of their gear in any other Crumpler bags?

Thanks

Jul 20, 2004 at 01:49 PM
dlundin

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

Check out this link. Should help you decide.
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/kunwadee/digitalcamera/2004/05/crumpler-tallee.html

Jul 20, 2004 at 02:52 PM
dlundin

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

By the way, I had a Crumpler bag before and hated it. It wasn't this model but I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I gave it away with a camera I sold. It was pretty in theory, but pretty useless in practicality. The strap was awful and stiff, too much padding and, for being such a big bag, too small inside. Never again.

Jul 20, 2004 at 02:55 PM
mark1958
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

I struggle with similar lens combos and the bags which carry the 1D(s) and 70-200 attached are:
Domke J-1 I really like this bag... very comfortable and holds alot of gear, easy to access
Bobkrist bag- not comfortable to carry
Tamrac Photomessenger 9--- also holds a lap top

Jul 20, 2004 at 03:02 PM
Antje
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

BiscottiGelato wrote:
BTW, anybody hvae pictures to show of how things fits in their Tall-e?

Sorry, no, if I put my equipment in there I can't take pics of it.

Antje

Jul 20, 2004 at 03:12 PM
BiscottiGelato
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

Is the strap that bad?
I've heard a few people saying it's very comfortable.
a few saying it's just really bad (including the link by dlundin and by dlundin himself).

Jul 21, 2004 at 10:51 AM
BiscottiGelato
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

Oh, can anybody compare the Love 15 to the Tall-e? Someone said the Love 15 is smaller than the Tall-e? But it seems it's way 'thicker' (the 5" vs 7"). I am just afraid that the Love 15 would be too thick for me. Any comment on this?
What I'm looking for is to be able to put 3 lens (something like 17-40 + 50 + 70-200f4L as the biggest 3 i'd ever put) and a flash.

Jul 21, 2004 at 11:52 AM
dlundin

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

The Crumpler straps are really stiff and wide. Probably 3-inches across. They're just awkward and uncomfortable.

Jul 21, 2004 at 03:04 PM
Antje
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

BiscottiGelato wrote:
Is the strap that bad?
I've heard a few people saying it's very comfortable.
a few saying it's just really bad (including the link by dlundin and by dlundin himself).

I like it actually. I wouldn't go on a long hike with it but it's perfectly ok for a few hours walking. I even bought a bag for work with a similar strap and am more than happy with it. I'd say try it for yourself, no-one can tell you if *you* are going to like it or not. I have very broad shoulders (not only for a woman ) so maybe that's why I like it?

Antje

Jul 21, 2004 at 04:48 PM
puffmoike

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anybody own a Crumpler Tallee with some Pics to show?

I don't find the strap a problem. The big loop that dlundin complains about can be tucked into the external loop on the side of the bag which can be seen in his photo.

The shop assistant shoved the loop in there as I left the store six months ago, and I haven't touched it (or snagged it) since.

Jul 30, 2004 at 10:25 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.