Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How do I photograph firefly taillight shots?!

shinew7911
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do I photograph firefly taillight shots?!

So I've attempted 2 nights with 20+ mosquito bites, they all turn out to be crap...

But I've narrowed down 2 main issues I have:
1) fireflies seem to only show up in pack at sunset but not much -after- sunset, so the shooting time frame is not long at all, maybe ~20minutes.
2) I would like to use large aperture but at sunset F1.4-2 are too large even for ISO 100. I figure that I probably need 30sec exposure to get some noticeable flying trails, so I probably need a ND filter. 3-5 stops maybe?

Anyone has had success taking some decent images of the fireflies can share their experience, tips and techniques?

Jul 09, 2012 at 04:40 AM
shinew7911
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do I photograph firefly taillight shots?!

hmm... I guess no one here has done it then. It is difficult to shoot.

Jul 10, 2012 at 05:55 PM
one4teen

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do I photograph firefly taillight shots?!

Ok, I decided to bite the bullet, and then go get bit by the mosquitos. I'm totally new to this, so what the hell.
Here's what I figured out. Trying to shoot a flying bug at night with the DOF of a razor is not easy. Throw in a little breeze and go pour yourself a drink.

But on the brighter side, the blink ramps up, gets bright, then ramps down, allowing for a decent shot, while perched on a plant.

My setup is slowly evolving. This was from my d5100, new 50 1.8, set at F8. SB400 flash, with me holding a paper plate at a 45* over the little bugger.

I have no idea how you'll capture them in the air. Good luck. Here are 2 from tonight, preflight.
The taillights are on, I assure you.

Jul 16, 2012 at 01:24 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password