Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

BlueReptile
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

It's been a long while since my last gymnastics post. Thought I'd post a few from last weekend in San Jose. Shot mostly with D4s, a few with D800 and D3s, and a mixture of 400, 200/2, 70-200, 200/2, 24-70 and 85/1.4. NPS was onsite to provide equipment loans so I took the new 85/1.4 AF-S for a spin. It is every bit as sharp as the 200/2, and focus is a lot faster than the older version. It also allowed me to get closer and underneath the podium. Bad news is now I want one and will set me back a few gs...

Apologies in advance for the number of images here, making up for lack of posting in the last few months I guess. All the members of the 2012 Olympic Teams are here, plus a few others.

Comments are welcome. EXIF are intact.

-John
----------
#1 Gymnast Introduction (John Orozco)

#2 Women's Finals

#3 Jake Dalton

#4 John Orozco - Such a great kid coming from a humble background

#5 Danell Leyva

#6 Yin Alvarez, Danell's coach and stepfather

#7 Jon Horton

#8 Sam Mikulak

#9 Gabby Douglas, the "Flying Squirrel", edged out Jordyn Wieber by 0.10 and secured her spot on the Olympic Team.

#10 McKayla Maroney - 16 years old and best vaulter in the world!

#11 Jordyn Wieber - Enuf said...

#12 Kyla Ross

#13 Aly Raisman

#14 Nastia Liukin - Such an honor to have shot her over the years, and here to document likely her very last competitive bar routine

#15 HP Pavilion - Shot with D800 and 14-24. You should see this image in 100% crop!

#16 2012 US Olympic Teams and alternates

#17 Kenny Loggins provided entertainment for the AT&T Block Party after the meet! Sure brought back high school memories...

Jul 08, 2012 at 04:34 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Pure sweetness, John. Every last one of them. Thank you. Pretty sure I saw you doing your thing while I was watching this last week.

Jul 08, 2012 at 05:07 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

I agree with Russ. Sweet! A pleasure to view from the first to the last.

Ted

Jul 08, 2012 at 05:24 PM
Jim Cowsert
• • •
p.1 #4 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Very good work! I really enjoyed seeing these.

Jim

Jul 08, 2012 at 07:17 PM
rcbarr

p.1 #5 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Great shots, John. Thanks for sharing!

Jul 08, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Really nice shots, John- love the Leyva and Nastia images.

McKayla and Kyla are from my daughter's former gym- it was quite amazing to watch them compete (and win) spots on the team. No surprise there, though-- they've consistently shown amazing talent from a very young age and have been on the fast track the whole way up. Kyla in particular is amazingly strong for her size. But if you saw her dad, well...

Sweet grab of Loggins, one of my all time faves.

Jul 09, 2012 at 12:04 AM
AnthonyA

p.1 #7 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Nice shots as always John. I think I got as excited that I saw you as I did watching the gymnast. Did I see Brian there also?

Have fun in London!

Jul 09, 2012 at 01:07 AM
BlueReptile
• • •
p.1 #8 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Thanks all. It's been a long season and the Trials was one of the last meets on my calendar. Next up London in exactly 2 weeks!

Russ: I really tried to stay out of the camera's view but with so many NBC cameras around it's hard not to be spotted in the background.

Tom: Yes Kyla's father is a giant! Really a nice family!

Anthony: Yup Brian was second-shooting.

My entire take is here:

www.john-cheng.com

You can search by athlete name if you're interested.

-John

Jul 09, 2012 at 04:08 AM
BlueReptile
• • •
p.1 #9 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Here are a few more:

#18 Alicia has always been one of my favorites shoot. I should be impartial but I really was hoping she'd make the team with her experience and her vaulting skills...

#19 Farewell from Nastia and a standing ovation from the sold-out crowd after her beam routine.

#20 Boys on social networks after they made the team

#21 Women's team portrait outside the hotel in a parking lot. Originally NBC agreed to let me take the team portrait inside their make shift studio in the hotel with plenty of good light and these cool light panels as the background. Only to find out later they reversed the decision as they didn't want to unveil the "look" and wanted to keep it under wraps until they air the segments. So I had to scramble and found this grassy island in the parking lot. Shot with a onboard SB-910 manual 1/32 power and yellow gel.

Jul 09, 2012 at 04:20 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

John....a star studded set of images here. I love seeing these shots because you and others who shoot this sports make it look so easy and you capture the athletes in their own starring performances as well.

Great job and look forward to more.

Frank

Jul 09, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Aqualung
• • •
p.1 #11 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Wonderful set....

Chris

Jul 09, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Fish On
• • •
p.1 #12 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

John,

I don't mind the amount of shots that you just posted. Great looking stuff as usual. I was watching this event on tv last week and felt it for Nastia after that nasty fall from the uneven bars. Gotta give her kudos for getting back up and finishing the routine.

Jul 09, 2012 at 04:22 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #13 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Wow! After a two week FM hiatus for me, it's great to come back and see this. Love em all John but 9 and 14 are extra special. Only 5 more sleeps until the real deal. Looking forward to seeing the gymnasts from my second favorite country grab a bucketload of silvers, behind Canada's golds!

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:51 AM
JimT57

p.1 #14 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

John - I love all of these - really great shots, I am sure you have heard that thousands of times, but only since it is well deserved. Certainly gives folks a standard to aspire to.

You mention the EXIF data is intact. I am somewhat new to FM so can someone tell me how to access the EXIF data? Thanks,

Jul 28, 2012 at 09:05 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Wicked set John.

Jul 29, 2012 at 03:14 AM
BlueReptile
• • •
p.1 #16 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

JimT57 wrote:
John - I love all of these - really great shots, I am sure you have heard that thousands of times, but only since it is well deserved. Certainly gives folks a standard to aspire to.

You mention the EXIF data is intact. I am somewhat new to FM so can someone tell me how to access the EXIF data? Thanks,

Jim, thanks! There is a plug-in for Firefox called EXIF viewer I think, or you can open the images in Photoshop and look at the file properties that way too.

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM
BlueReptile
• • •
p.1 #17 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

dj dunzie wrote:
Wicked set John.

Thanks! I'll try to post some from London if I ever get a chance to breath...

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:28 PM
JimT57

p.1 #18 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Thanks John - I shoot Nikon, so seeing how you take these great shots is a huge learing experience. Apprcaite you being willing to share the info. Can't wait to see some of your shots from London!

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:12 PM
WarrenL
• •
p.1 #19 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Great set of images. Enjoy London!

Jul 31, 2012 at 12:07 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.1 #20 · Gymnastics:Olympic Trials in San Jose

Congratulations to the USA women's gymnastics team for their amazing performance and gold medal!

Let's see some pics John!

Jul 31, 2012 at 06:14 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password