Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

yueeyy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

Hey guys, recently while on a shoot, the mirror of my 5D (which I bought from a fellow FM member) fell out. I sent it in to Canon hoping that they will fix the mirror for free like they claim. to do so However, today when I checked my email, I received a estimate from Canon for about $400! Apparently, I've logged over 100k+ actuations in my shutter and it needs a replacement.

Being a college student living off a frugal budget, this $400+ is not something I can justify right now. I called Canon hoping that they would just fix the mirror since I never encountered any problems with my shutter. However, they gave me two options. Either I pay $400, or I get my camera back as is.

Seeing that the market value of 5D Classics are about $800, I don't know if spending $400 to fix it is a good idea. What would be my best options? Should I look into 3rd party mirror fixes? Would I be better off just giving Canon more of my money?

Thanks!

Jul 06, 2012 at 09:41 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

The 5D is a great camera and you don't really have to be told that. If you make money with your 5D and didn't plan to replace it very soon, I think the $400 paid is a fair investment. Besides, if you decline it then you have a 5D paper weight and will most likely do a scrap sale, and then still not have a camera...

That's just one man's opinion, and you know what they say...Anyway, I'll spare the cliche...Good luck with your decision...

Jul 06, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

Spend the $400...it's a great camera

Jul 06, 2012 at 09:54 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

I could have sworn the mirror fix was free.

Jul 06, 2012 at 09:56 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

Even if you get a third party fix the mirror, which might be do-able, your shutter is highly likely to fail before long. Not because it is over 100,000 actuations, which is about the expected life of the shutter, but because it has been diagnosed by experts as nearing failure.

Yes, look into third party fixes.

But also see if somebody would buy your camera, as is for say $300 to 400 plus paying the repair bill, upon return from Canon.

As you know, the Classic is a great camera. You got a really good run with it.

Look at it this way: If you only shot, say, 10 K shots, then it might be worth, say, $900 as a low actuation 5D. Now it is worth about $400 or less due to "problems". So you got 90 K actuations on it for about $500, in terms of opportunity cost in today dollars.

Or another way of looking at it: Suppose you paid $2500 for it new or nearly new. That's 250,000 cents or 2.5 cents per shot.

Or another way to think of it: $400 repair gives you a camera good for another 100K clicks (no guarantees of course). Even if you only made 40K clicks with it, that would be a penny a click. Less because you can probably sell it a couple of years from now for $500.

So, yes, the repair is a good deal.

What you should be looking for is financing. (Metaphorically or actually)

Jul 06, 2012 at 09:57 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

Dudewithoutape wrote:

Yes it is. Pay attention.

I just got mine fixed for free, but the shutter doesn't have nearly the OP's number of clicks.

In this case, just fixing the mirror is going to leave the camera wonky. Canon is not going to "fix" a camera, even for free, that is likely to fail a week or a month after getting back into the hands of the customer, even if the fix didn't cause or is unrelated the failure.

Jul 06, 2012 at 09:58 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

Dudewithoutape wrote:

Monito wrote:
Yes it is. Pay attention.

I just got mine fixed for free, but the shutter doesn't have nearly the OP's number of clicks.

In this case, just fixing the mirror is going to leave the camera wonky. Canon is not going to "fix" a camera, even for free, that is likely to fail a week or a month after getting back into the hands of the customer, even if the fix didn't cause or is unrelated the failure.

+1...Canon will NOT partially fix a camera even if it's at the customer's request. If in their opinion, there are other issues to fix, you either have to fix it completely or not at all. In fact, most 3rd party repair shops are likely to do the same. I suppose you could ask for a 'second opinion' on the shutter replacement...either way, as others have stated, the 5D is still a great camera so $400 can still be considered reasonable if you get the camera back in perfect working order.

Omar

Jul 06, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

Btw, I was paying attention, I just didn't understand why they'd charge for something not related to the issue at hand (a broken mirror). I didn't know they fix everything wrong with an item that is sent in, also from the sounds of it, the shutter was fine before OP sent it in.

Anyways, besides the cost of shipping and time wasted, I don't see how or why you can't stick the mirror back in there yourself. I recall reading someone on here doing the same thing, because that person was stuck in the middle of no where when his fell out. I only recommend this, because it sounds like the OP is tight on money.

Jul 06, 2012 at 11:26 PM
jejphotobug

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

My two cents: for $400 you are getting the mirror fix and a new shutter so it's almost like buying a refurbished camera. I agree with the others who have recommended you get it fixed. BTW, what warranty are they giving you with the new shutter?

Jul 06, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

I sent my new, to me, 5D to Canon for the mirror fix. There was some dust in the viewfinder that I asked them to clean that required disassembly since the dust is above the prism. I also had them check focus. They charged me their normal out of warranty price for the clean and focus adjustment, but the mirror fix was free.

Pay the money and you will have yourself a new, to you, 5D.

Jul 07, 2012 at 02:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fkid

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

3-4 years ago I suffered the same problem with my 5D. At that moment I didn't have time enough to send the camera to canon, so I took the risk and fixed it myself. If I remember properly, just a couple of drops of super glue (I think I chose a super glue labeled as more resistant to vibrations, but I bet is 99% equal as any other), and that's all. Since then no problem. Zero. In fact, I had forgotten about that until I read your post.

As for the shutter, I'm sure the one of my 5D is way beyond 100k shots, and also zero problems. Maybe one day the blades of the shutter will end up flying in pieces, but today everything is absolutely OK.

Jul 07, 2012 at 03:07 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

Like the FKid, back in the day before the free fix, lots of people glued the mirror back on themselves. Others were on the road and couldn't wait for the official repair.

Jul 07, 2012 at 03:20 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

Fkid wrote:
3-4 years ago...I took the risk and fixed it myself.... just a couple of drops of super glue.

Gochugogi wrote:
Like the FKid, back in the day before the free fix, lots of people glued the mirror back on themselves. Others were on the road and couldn't wait for the official repair.

While I agree that the 'mirror fix' can be done as a 'DIY' repair by a reasonably skilled person, I highly advise against using any kind of 'super glue' (cyano acrylate) as it out-gasses while it dries and can leave a permanent hazy film on anything nearby. Also, there is just too great a risk of accidentally dropping some glue where it shouldn't go. In fact, 'super glue' (along with WD-40 & other similar lubricants) are the two things that should never, ever be used around cameras or lenses...can do much more (permanent) harm than good!

Omar

Jul 07, 2012 at 03:43 AM
jolson72
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

Canon has really raised their prices. they wanted $200 to check focus / calibrate a Canon lens. do a search for advance camera in Portland, Oregon. They did a focus check / adjustment for 1/5 of what Canon charges. They are also incredibly nice to talk to on the phone.

Can't recommend their services enough. I used to use Canon, but their fees have gotten quite expensive, in my opinion.

Jul 07, 2012 at 04:18 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

That's a crazy price, a local repair shop did mine overnight for under half of that.

Jul 07, 2012 at 06:44 PM
crwoo
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

had mine fixed free, but it only had about 8000 actuations

Jul 11, 2012 at 09:47 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

When my mirror fell of, I thought not about sending it to Canon to fix it.
I replaced it with a 100% full mirror from an old analogue camera. I thought about this operation on my second older 5D, but the mirror fell of on the younger 5D.

To put the original mirror in should be no big deal. I think I used a kind of superglue, but do not remember it very good. Have to see my documnetation pictures for this.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Silentlight
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

I just got a bill from Canon for $234 to glue the mirror because it's out of warranty. Couldn't they tell me that when I called? Didn't know glue was that expensive.

Be aware before you ship yours in.

Aug 01, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

Silentlight wrote:
I just got a bill from Canon for $234 to glue the mirror because it's out of warranty. Couldn't they tell me that when I called? Didn't know glue was that expensive. Be aware before you ship yours in.

It's not. The labour is. In any case, they usually don't simply glue the mirror in, they replace it.

There must be something else going on because the 5D classic mirror fix is a covered repair even though the camera may be over 5 years old, as mine was when they did it for free including shipping both ways. Are you wth person who bought a 5D classic where the previous owner had glued it in themselves?

Aug 01, 2012 at 08:30 PM
Silentlight
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 5D Classic Mirror Fix - options?

I just called Canon and they acknowledged the invoice was a mistake on their behalf and they'll fix it for free. I guess I jumped the gun too soon! But wouldn't have known it was free before you guys mentioned it in this post.

I am the original owner with no mod done to mirror.

Aug 01, 2012 at 08:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password