Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

I I have now looked at using my old Really Right Stuff L plate off of my 1D4 on my new 1DX, and it is close, but does not fit. The 1DX has a very similar base, but the front to back width is slightly larger, and the location of the tripod mounting threads is in a slightly different position. If you hold the old L plate on by hand, it rests with the rounded edges in contact, and the main flat part of the plate is about 0.07 inches above base of the camera. Also, the camera threads are about 0.05 inches out of line with the slots in the L plate where the mounting screw resides. If you tried to pad the gap between the camera and the plate, and filed out the slot wider to allow the screw to go in, you might get the old plate to function, but in that position, the clearance for the battery to be removed is around zero, so it will either be blocked or will rub hard as it is removed or replaced.

In addition, the rubber covers of the 1DX are of a new design. They are wider from front to back, and are hinged along one edge rather than just attached by the small rubber strands used on the 1D4. That means they stick out further when open at 90 degrees, and can not easily be mushed down out of the way. But the new covers can be folded open 180 degrees on their “hinge”, which means that for using the remote, the L plate can be slide against the 180 degree open rubber cover, and hide it away under there. And with the cover captured at 180 degrees, the position of the plate is just right for the Canon remote connector to clear an AS quick release clamp. The existing first slot in the old L plate is thus long enough to allow the required position for a remote attached to be attached.

The second slot in the old L plate will still be needed to allow attachment of connectors that exist along the rear group on the camera, which are the USB, HDMI, and Ethernet connectors. Note that these also all have the new style covers, which look more durable and better sealed. Note that the new covers sick out about 0.75 inches when open 90 degrees, but also can be folded back to 180 degrees open if needed. Obviously if both the front group and the lower rear group rubber doors need to be open at the same time, neither can be flopped back 180 degrees, so the mounting slot provisions need to accommodate that configuration with them both at 90 degrees. And another thing about the rubber cover doors is that you can have the front lower cover for the remote control and the upper rear group cover for the Ethernet both folded back 180 degrees, because they are offset just enough to do that, and that is likely a common configuration for remote operation.

A design change that would likely be good for RRS to incorporate is to make the two slots in to one longer one. That would allow faster adjustment between the two general positions because the screw would not need to be removed and replaced. It also would allow any position to be set, which would include intermediate positions if you are using right angle connectors that do not protrude as far, and may have nice small flexible cable on them. The current missing positions on the 1D4 plate, because of having two slots, is in just the wrong place for using the smaller right angle connectors. One continuous slot just seems like the way to go.

Another design change that could be included would be to provide for a cable routing path on the inside of the slide leg of the L plate, and an end opening, that could help any rear group cables that are in use along there to be contained and routed "out the top", and keep them from flopping to the front or rear and getting in the way of the L plate being clamped. It would be possible to even include some edge tabs that could capture the cables, and that would require you to bend the cables in to an S shape in order to pop the cables in the routing path.

I do hope that Really Right Stuff stays with a tried and true design that is very similar to their existing 1D4 L plate, and that it "fits like a glove" when installed. Add new features as required, but stay with what has worked from the past. The initial issues with the fit of 5D3 plate were of concern to me, and I also do not like the idea of any sort of two part plate that is convertible. Please RRS, design and build a perfect one piece L plate for this very nice camera. I will gladly buy a second bottom only plate if I need that. Also remember that this camera is very suited to remote use, and that requires mounting, so the best allowance for cables is important, and remote cameras may need the quick changing of orientation that a good L plate provides.

Jul 06, 2012 at 04:38 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

I am sure they will do fine. At the same time, I pre-ordered a standard plate for the 1DX, after using L-plates on my 1Ds, 1Ds2, and 1Ds3. I have found that in situations where I actually shoot vertical on a tripod, it's just landscapes, and for that I have always preferred my 5D2 over the 1Ds3, and chances are that will stay that way with the 5D3 vs. 1DX. Besides, the 1D-series L plate has always been ... chunky compared to the 5D series equivalent, and I only need a camera that's good enough to kill a horse, not a rhino...

Jul 06, 2012 at 04:46 PM
AmIgone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Well that sucks. I was hoping to use the one from my 1DsII until I get mine from RRS. I hope they get it right too. At $250 bucks it better be a piece of art that is functional.

Well I just talked with Jim at RRS. He said pre-orders should start shipping very soon. Since I didn’t pre-order one, I ordered it while I was talking to him. He said not to expect it before 1st week in Aug.

Jul 06, 2012 at 04:48 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

I just did a quick check on the older plate for the original 1D series before the 1D3, and it is not at all close. So your 1DsII plate has no chance of working on a 1DX. Thanks for the reminder to check, but the change in the battery design likely made the camera change, and the newer LP-E4 battery cameras are clearly a fair amount wider front to back. The older series cameras did not have the rear group of connectors, so they had no provisions for sliding the plate way out to give room.

Jul 06, 2012 at 05:27 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Can you post a picture of what the 1Ds III plate looks like when mounted on the 1D X? I saw another post from another user who had mounted it. His conclusion was that it wasn't a perfect fit, but it was workable if needed.

Just wondering if I really need to spend $250 on the new plate... that's awfully steep for an L bracket.

Jul 06, 2012 at 06:18 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Yes a picture would be really nice. Today I use the same L-plate and standard plate between my 1D3, 1Ds3 and 1D4.

Jul 06, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

The L plate from Really Right Stuff for the more recient 1D cameras before the 1DX fits all three mentioned above, the 1D3, 1Ds3, and 1D4, and RRS lists them that way. The 1DX has changed its width from front to back, and changed the location of the threaded hole in the camera. I am not able to do a picture right now, but if you imagine that just the curved edges of the plate rest on the curved edges of the camera, and a gap remains underneath, then you should also be able to imagine that the camera can rock to the front or back, because the flat part of the plate is not pulled in tight aganist the flat bottom part of the camera.

If you enlarge the slot to get the screw to go in, you have two big issues. First off is that the plate will not be stable on the camera, and can the camera can tip forward or backward. If the screw were to take some load to help prevent the tip, it could be too much load on the screw area because it is tipping the screw sideways.

The other big issue is that if the plate can not come in to contact with the bottom of the camera, then tightening the screw can pull outward with a lot of force on the camera threaded insert plate, and it may just give way and get ripped out. Not something I want to do to my quite expensive new camera. For a correctly sized L bracket, the metal of the bracket pulls aganist the metal of the camera threaded insert plate, and does not add a bunch of force trying to pull the insert plate out.

The only way to try to avoid the problems is to fill the space between the L bracket and the flat bottom of the camera, which I mentioned in my original post, but if you do that, and get just the right amount of filler in there, then the battery may not be able to be inserted.

Depending on when I get a real 1DX L bracket, I may try a spacer solution. And actually I may try it first on a bottom only plate made for the 1D3 and 1D4, because that works for video, which is one of the first uses where I may really need a plate. And a bottom only plate has no battery issues.

Jul 06, 2012 at 07:40 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Today I use the same L-plate and standard plate between my 1D3, 1Ds3 and 1D4.

Yes, and the 5DIII plate is different from the 5DII plate, which is different from the 5D1. Is there a lesson here? We have no business buying anything but a Series 1?

Jul 06, 2012 at 09:41 PM
mogan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Now that RRS and Kirk designs are both out, and sense for which is the superior bracket?

Feb 07, 2013 at 09:14 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

IMO, the RRS dedicated L-bracket for the 1DX is worth the money. Mine is usually only configured with the short horizontal base plate. I add the "L" when it's needed. When I first received this 'hybrid' L-bracket, I thought "that's stupid", but now I'm completely sold. It's great! Except of course, when I want to put on the "L", and I forgot to bring it. What the "L"!

The 1DIV/1D_III bracket fits sort-of OK on the 1DX. It's solid, but there's slender air gaps in some places, and you have to suspect that it'll "work" (i.e. move around a bit) in some carrying conditions, as well as the bracket edges possibly digging into the base of the camera.

Here's some photos of my 1DX with the RRS 1DX L-bracket attached.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Here's some photos of my 1DX with the RRS 1DIV/1D_III L-bracket attached (and not attached).

The first two photos show the air gaps; the first photo shows the bottom left edge gap; and, second photo shows the bottom right edge gap. The last two photos show; first, what's covered on the side by the 1DIV bracket; and second, what was under the 1DIV L-bracket.

For me, having the HDMI port available is important, and so I use the RRS dedicated 1DX L-bracket. All things being equal, I used it even before I started using the HDMI port. YMMV.

Feb 07, 2013 at 10:11 PM
mogan
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Awesome pics and post! Any experience with a cotton carrier and the fitting it uses? I use it for my mkIV and it requires what looks like a wider base plate than the new RRS bracket provides if you want to use both the carrier receptical and arca Swiss tripod heads interchangeably....

Feb 07, 2013 at 11:40 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

RRS seems a overly complex...I'd go with Kirk....
I will now duck as this is a solid RRS fan web site...

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:05 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

matt4626 wrote:
RRS seems a overly complex...I'd go with Kirk....
I will now duck as this is a solid RRS fan web site...

Too late! You forgot to run away!

Feb 08, 2013 at 12:17 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

mogan wrote:
Awesome pics and post! Any experience with a cotton carrier and the fitting it uses?...

Thanks. I have no experience with Cotton Carrier and similar systems.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:22 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

I agree with Jim that the new RRS L-bracket is great. And love that I can use it both as a normal plate and an L-plate. Before I always bought one of each.

@ Jim, keep the L-part in your bag/ backpack so you don't forget it

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:57 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I agree with Jim that the new RRS L-bracket is great. And love that I can use it both as a normal plate and an L-plate. Before I always bought one of each.

@ Jim, keep the L-part in your bag/ backpack so you don't forget it

Which bag?

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:32 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

jcolwell wrote:
Which bag?

The one you will use the next day

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:40 PM
AmIgone
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Well the only thing I don’t like about the RRS 1DX bracket is, no screw boss for attaching my BR strap connector.

Feb 08, 2013 at 01:51 PM
mogan
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DX Will Need New L Plate Design

Well, I ended up ordering the Kirk l plate. It seems to work well and it was 50 bucks cheaper.

Feb 08, 2013 at 03:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password