Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

My apologies, I appreciate the kind feedback, but this is an old thread resurrected by fm member - Britserker - to note that the cub in picture 4 and his brother(sister) have just been killed by a train.

So I am not looking for feedback as much as regretting that the rail company and the park cannot solve the issue of bear after bear being killed by the trains which makes it unlikely that grizzly will continue to be viable in banff for future pictures as the use of the park increases and we don't solve the train vs bear problem.

They were a great and promising grizzly family. The mom is reclusive and hard to find so its likely that they would have been safer for hikers. Hopefully she has another brood next year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Wednesday, as I was returning to Calgary from Jasper, my wife spotted a grizzly and cubs on the side of the transcanada highway (2km short of Redearth turnoff). So we stopped and got these light challenged shots of Bear number 130.

I will have to go back and look for them in better light. All of these shots ended up being high ISO and slow shutter at about 9pm.

Comments and feedback is appreciated. Scott

1-4 of 4

[ Sadly, the bear cubs were killed by a train in Banff Park this last week Oct 8th, 2012 http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/10/08/calgary-grizzly-bear-death-banff.html?cmp=rss ]

1 of 4

2 of 4

3 of 4

4 of 4

Edited on Oct 09, 2012 at 08:39 PM · View previous versions

Jul 06, 2012 at 08:00 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

And some bonus black bear shots I collected over the weekend.

a-c of c

A

B

C

Jul 06, 2012 at 08:09 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Fantastic set!!! Those are some really healthy looking bears. My favorites are 1,4 ,A and C.

Birdie

Jul 06, 2012 at 08:19 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Birdied: The winter must have been very good for them. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 06, 2012 at 08:36 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

A super set Scott. The grizz are very nice, but the blacky is super - and apparently very well fed... ~ Ron

Jul 06, 2012 at 08:47 AM
bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

That last one screams "Stay Puff Marshmellow Bear". Look slike a cat with a bad hair day.

Jul 06, 2012 at 10:53 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

2 and 4 are good, A and C are wonerful though a bit blue Scott.

Morris

Jul 06, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

surfnron: Isn't she chunky - and she had a little baby too - its tough to keep up that kind of weight. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

bipock: Isn't she pretty! Glad you like her. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

morris: I processed these on my laptop and now I see the slight blue cast - thanks for pointing it out. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 06, 2012 at 12:13 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Great bear shots!

I have new appreciation since my encounter Monday.

Jul 06, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

ckcarr: I am looking forward to the story and the pictures of the bear. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 06, 2012 at 12:41 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

very nice images Scott

Jul 06, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

A great set Scott. I love the ones with eye contact. The last one looks huge

Jul 06, 2012 at 01:03 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

The poor light isn't evident here Scott, you did very well with the exposures. Great stuff.
David

Jul 06, 2012 at 02:27 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

kmunroe: Glad you like them. Mom #130 is a bit shy of tourists. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Lars Johnsson: The mom was one of the biggest grizzly mom's I have seen. She was impressive. Glad you liked them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

David Leask: David - I thought of you last week when I came around the corner at Morant curve and saw a mom grizzly and 2 cubs. It reminded me of your story. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 08, 2012 at 12:34 AM
Jude Perera
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Lovely set Scott. Congrats for the find.

Jude

Jul 08, 2012 at 02:14 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Jude: My wife was the spotter and she had the choice of not telling me and having dinner on time. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 08, 2012 at 04:48 PM
andrewsk
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

I love how FAT the Black Bear looks in C.

Its amazing how different Black Bears look from each other.

Jul 08, 2012 at 04:54 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Andrewsk: He was a healthy bear. Big size means best territory and best size. It just takes luck to get to the top. Glad you like his size. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 08, 2012 at 05:02 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Holy smokes Scott C is a monster!! Wonderful set of Bears, while I do like them all my favorite would be A for the comp and the pose.

Tim

Jul 08, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Cubs Killed - Bear #130 and Family (Grizzly) - along Trans Canada Highway

Tim Kuhn: I think you are right 1 has best composition but breaks the rules for eye contact. But it has good mood. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jul 08, 2012 at 10:00 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.