Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2 vs R2000 vs R3000

EyeBrock
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2 vs R2000 vs R3000

We are looking for a decent ink-jet to replace our underwhelming LaserJet 4025 and old HP inkjet. After numerous issues I'm leaving the HP fold and looking to Epson or Canon.

The main use for this printer will be graphics, art prints of scanned/photographed water colour and acrylic paintings, card-stock prints and some photo prints. My wife has a custom-invitation small business and she is also looking at doing promo stuff for her fine art paintings.

I've scoured the net and I'm down to 3 finalists.

Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2

Epson R2000

Epson R3000

A couple of questions;

What advantages on paper handling does either the Canon or Epson(s) have?

Also I'm torn on whether the R2000 will do the job or will I regret not getting the R3000?

Consumable costs are a factor. Which manufacturer makes most economic sense re running costs? Quality is #1 but we also want to make sure we are getting value for our money.

Input is appreciated.

Jul 05, 2012 at 07:14 PM
Drew Hendrix

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2 vs R2000 vs R3000

They are all great printers. The big difference between the Canon and Epson printers is type of ink. The Canon Pro9000 is a dye based printer while both Epsons use pigment ink. So essentially they are two different classes of printer which makes them hard to compare.

Pigment inks "assure" multi-decade fade resistance while dye inks really do not. The Canon dye ink is a long lasting version, but you should really not count on them to resist fade for over 20 years in regular display conditions.

So, if you are OK with the possibility of fade in a relative short time frame the Canon is a fine choice to consider. If you require prints to last for 40+ years in regular display conditions then pigment inks are a must at this time.

Check out our comparison of the R2000 and R3000 here for more info:
http://tinyurl.com/3o79jn6

Jul 06, 2012 at 04:55 PM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2 vs R2000 vs R3000

Thanks very much Drew! Your comparison of the two Epsons is very informative and we hadn't considered the fade factor over 20 years.

Cheers!

Jul 07, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PerryH

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2 vs R2000 vs R3000

FYI - Canon has two pigment ink printers in that format as well... the 9500 Mark II and the Pro-1.

If you like the 9000 Mark II (or just want to give it a shot for the heck of it), they are practically giving them away right now for $144-$150 after rebate at the reliable mail order stores.

Jul 09, 2012 at 09:08 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2 vs R2000 vs R3000

EyeBrock wrote:
we hadn't considered the fade factor over 20 years.

+1 to PerryH... the Canon 9500 should be considered if you're looking for pigment permanence like the R3000.

And another +1 for the incredible bargains on the Canon 9000... I'd pretty much sworn off inkjet printing after years and years of frustration with clogged Epson print heads... I threw away more ink than I used.

But then I found the Canon 9000 Mk II and have zero complaints... the borderless printing at 13x19 is just incredible. Like all inkjets, the cost of replacement cartridges needs to be considered, but even with OEM ink and top-notch paper (glad to see Red River chime in above), the price per print is still very reasonable and the print quality is simply stunning.

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:34 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pixma Pro 9000 Mk2 vs R2000 vs R3000

I use the Canon and it is brilliant (well...maybe just excellent). That is my dye based printer..the pigment one is my R2880.

The beauty of the Canon is the OEM carts can be refilled with a quality 3rd party ink bought at bulk prices. I use OCP inks and the ink costs are about 10% that of Canon inks. To be honest...I don't consider ink costs with this printer......unlike the Epson where I still use OEM carts.

As for fading...I haven't been using it long enough to comment. Would it be a factor considering your needs? Would it make sense to have prize images sprayed with an anti UV coating?

My thinking in having two A3 printers was the Canon for cheap prints and the Epson for Archival prints. Maybe down the line I will wish I had done things differently...but the Canon is the printer I use most of the time...calibrated to Ilford Pearl.

Jul 10, 2012 at 07:17 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password