Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up ...

treepop
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

I want only my best work to show up online. I provide clients with 50 fully edited high res images along with 200 or so photos with basic color correction. The 200 are much lower res and are intended for sharing online only.

My concern is, this will be the majority of what people see. Should I not include the non fully edited photos at all? I don't like the idea of only giving the client 50 photos. However I want people to see me in the best light possible.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jul 05, 2012 at 05:22 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

Edit everything you send clients.

Jul 05, 2012 at 05:28 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

tobicus wrote:

+1 There is no reason not to. We've come to the conclusion that people today simply do not know good photography when they see it. Everything is the same. Look at nearly any magazine cover; many are crappy (specifically entertainment, hott women, and car magz). Look at comments on FB. Many comments are saying they love a picture that's crappy. Step above the rest. Show your best work and people will love it.....but not know why they do

Jul 05, 2012 at 05:40 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

With the exception of maybe senior or modeling shoots, everything you deliver that has a possibility of being released publicly should be completely edited and ready for the lab. Otherwise, you're not delivering your true product.

Jul 05, 2012 at 05:43 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

tobicus wrote:

It looks like I am +3 at this point.

Andrew

Jul 05, 2012 at 05:48 PM
treepop
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

Right. They will all be edited, but FULLY EDITING to me means removing zits, fixing wrinkles, getting stuff out of the background. It would not be time/$ feasible for me to edit 200+ photos like that.

But, if I take what your saying and apply it. I would only give my client the 50 I was willing to fully edit. Right?

Jul 05, 2012 at 05:53 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

Other than the low res part isn't this what people normally do anyway? My albums usually have about 70ish pictures and they certainly get more time spent on them than the hundreds of others which only get colour correct, crop, b&w if required.

I wouldn't make the difference that obvious to the client though unless they start talking retouch work. I'd also deliver high res of everything or they will just get pissed off if they can only print a picture they like at 2x3".

Jul 05, 2012 at 05:57 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

+4

If you can't justify the time/money, perhaps reconsider your pricing and/or workflow.

Jul 05, 2012 at 06:14 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

treepop wrote:
Right. They will all be edited, but FULLY EDITING to me means removing zits, fixing wrinkles, getting stuff out of the background. It would not be time/$ feasible for me to edit 200+ photos like that.

But, if I take what your saying and apply it. I would only give my client the 50 I was willing to fully edit. Right?

apparently your definition of "edited" and mine (and prob everyone else's here) is a lot different....fixing wrinkles and removing zits?? are you kidding? my clients dont have that crap to begin with! ha j/k...no personally i dont believe in that at all...people are who they are, and it's not my place to mis represent someone, and remove what God put there in the first place....if someone ASKS, then i charge accordingly, but it's not my place to remove wrinkles, or make someone skinnier...that is all of what defines someone....

but all that aside, generally i feel most wedding photographers now days are doing contrast, white bal, exposure, black & white, and color tweaks etc....and really not much else....OBVIOUSLY if there are blinks, stuff in the BG that can be easily removed, etc, that's all part of the job....

Think about it, if you deliver 50 "edited/retouched" photos, and 150 of the "others", and they're SHARING the "others", then obviously they like how they look, and dont care about those zits/wrinkles etc.....

IMHO....

As a side note, i've never actually used a skin smoothing brush in my life...i've taken pounds off, and removed people all together upon request, but never removed wrinkles/blemishes...

Jul 05, 2012 at 06:28 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

If you don't see an image as complete your client should never see it.

Jul 05, 2012 at 06:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AA Fotografi
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

I wouldn't send something unedited, ever.

Jul 05, 2012 at 09:49 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

just edit the photos to your liking. giving out unedited or partially edited photos only damage you.

removing wrinkles and zits should be done only if it kills the photo or damage your brand (bad light used,...?)

Jul 06, 2012 at 03:49 PM
othfilm
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

treepop wrote:
I want only my best work to show up online. I provide clients with 50 fully edited high res images along with 200 or so photos with basic color correction. The 200 are much lower res and are intended for sharing online only.

I think you can strike a balance somewhere in the middle. I make two rounds through. The first round is eliminating any blinks, mis-focuses, etc, which leaves me with photos that are useful. Then the 2nd round through is picking out the ones that stand out. I might have 200 from Round 1, and more like 50 from Round 2. I'd deliver all of the best, and then I go back through the others and see if there are some I think the couple would like (similar shot, different angle...or a wider perspective, etc). Maybe I end up with 100 that way. Those are the ones to include on the disk, because they are shots you've liked each time you've seen it, and you've edited them. And its better than just including all 200 for the sake of including everything

Jul 06, 2012 at 08:18 PM
MarkdV
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

A thought from the perspective of a client.
Our wedding photographer provided us with all the photos he took, including ones that were not perfect. Just some default processing and the odd crop / straighten etc. I'm sure that if we waved a couple of them about you wouldn't think he was much of a photographer at all, but in reality he was very good and the good photos were excellent and made a stunning wedding album.

However not long after our wedding my Grandfather, who hosted the entire event at his place, was diagnosed with the big C and shortly after passed away. Now the most precious photos of our wedding aren't the perfect ones but some of the "200" that captured him in candid moments. Because we lived on opposite sides of the world we didn't have many family opportunities to capture on film so these photos are extra special and we have them because our photographer provided these to us even though they didn't showcase the best of his abilities. You'll never know when photos a random photo that isn't the best for you will capture a memory for a client that will forever be important to them.
I know that your brand is your business, but everyone who asks me if our photographer is any good gets a massive recommendation from me to Trevor Allen and word of mouth is pretty powerful, more so than some random photos on someones low-res Facebook account.

Just a thought from the other side of the fence.

Jul 06, 2012 at 08:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

ACRe wrote:
It looks like I am +3 at this point.

For a different perspective ...

There's a Big Name in the business (I don't want to drop the name here but this person is bigger than anyone on this thread and perhaps bigger than anyone on this whole forum) who says that the images should go straight out of camera to an online proofing gallery, after you've culled them. So, the images that go up online for client viewing have NO post work done to them. This Big Name says that the clients choose their album images from that online proofing gallery and their chosen images are the ones that get any post work, such as white balance, brightness, etc.

Jul 06, 2012 at 10:31 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

D. Diggler wrote:
For a different perspective ...

There's a Big Name in the business (I don't want to drop the name here but this person is bigger than anyone on this thread and perhaps bigger than anyone on this whole forum) who says that the images should go straight out of camera to an online proofing gallery, after you've culled them. So, the images that go up online for client viewing have NO post work done to them. This Big Name says that the clients choose their album images from that online proofing gallery and their chosen images are the ones that
...Show more

What about cropping?

Andrew

Jul 06, 2012 at 10:43 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

ACRe wrote:
What about cropping?

There would be no cropping of the client's online gallery images.

The thing to remember with this workflow is that the shots that are posted online are only "proofs" and the client knows it. The posted images are supposed to be "SOOC", that is, straight out of camera. The workflow is basically "SOOC to online". There is the intermediate step in there where you use a quick culling program to pull out the rejects. As I recall, the program Photo Mechanic was recommended. (Photo Mechanic does culling only; there is no option to do any editing of the images with that program.)

The images the client chooses for the album could be cropped.

Jul 07, 2012 at 01:17 AM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

D. Diggler wrote:
There would be no cropping of the client's online gallery images.

The thing to remember with this workflow is that the shots that are posted online are only "proofs" and the client knows it. The posted images are supposed to be "SOOC", that is, straight out of camera. The workflow is basically "SOOC to online". There is the intermediate step in there where you use a quick culling program to pull out the rejects. As I recall, the program Photo Mechanic was recommended. (Photo Mechanic does culling only; there is no option to do any editing of the images
...Show more

Thanks for the answer. That seems like a heckuva easy way to do it, as it would cut down on work that isn't necessary.

Would anyone here do that? Being on the beginning side of the curve, I would be chicken to.

Andrew

Jul 07, 2012 at 01:37 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

D. Diggler wrote:
There's a Big Name in the business (I don't want to drop the name here but this person is bigger than anyone on this thread and perhaps bigger than anyone on this whole forum) who says that the images should go straight out of camera to an online proofing gallery

David Jay, of course...

Jul 11, 2012 at 09:56 AM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What to do about clients using low res / less touched up images on facebook

cordellwillis wrote:
If you don't see an image as complete your client should never see it.

Yup, that's what I came in to say.

+1 I guess.

Jul 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password