Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Shane Psaltis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

I live in New York and have not been back to this spot since 2004, A lot has changed since I was there almost 10 years ago. Here are a bunch of Pano shots I took from the Brooklyn seaport looking at Manhattan. I really enjoyed the view it was amazing. C&C greatly welcome.

Thanks
Shane

Edited on Sep 20, 2012 at 07:02 PM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2012 at 04:46 AM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #2 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

3 more

Edited on Jul 13, 2012 at 03:02 AM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2012 at 04:47 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Fantastic captures.

Jul 05, 2012 at 04:58 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Jonathan Huynh wrote:
Fantastic captures.

Absolutely spot on! Great work!

-Nick

Jul 05, 2012 at 12:58 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

It was a fun and relaxing night my friend. #1 is my fave but I like how the water played out differently on each shot. Next time out we will hit Jersey side and Gantry Plaza in Long Island City

Jul 05, 2012 at 11:47 PM
DezM
• •
p.1 #6 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Shane, your shots are a bit overexposed. I would've exposed to reduce the highlights and bring up the shadow detail in post. Also, the white balance doesn't match in this set. Two look like they are off from the others. If you shot these Raw, I'd reprocess them.

You also have a bow in the horizon of the 2nd and some of the others horizon aren't level

Jul 07, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #7 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Dez,

Appreciate your critique, I will try and fix the bow in 2, it was a 8 shot pano so I will go back and check it. I tried different colors for each trying to get the colors a little different. Like the first one I over saturated on purchase, which two would you change ??

Thanks

Shane

Jul 07, 2012 at 12:24 PM
DezM
• •
p.1 #8 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

I would change 2, 6 and 8 to match the rest.

I know about the bow during panos. It easily correctible in post. When you shoot panos, try doing them in vertical orientation and overlap each frame. You'll get better stitching.

Jul 08, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #9 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Thanks Paul John and Nick and thank you Dez for your constructive critique.

Shane

Jul 10, 2012 at 02:36 AM
RKnecht
• • •
p.1 #10 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Wow...these are amazing. Great processing...love the color.

Jul 11, 2012 at 06:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Quite a series, Shane. Generally a bit bright, but they have tremendous impact and are fascinating.

Jul 12, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #12 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Thanks RKnecht and Jeff,

I added a 5th shot please let me know what you think, should I get less rocks or make it a pano??

Shane

Jul 15, 2012 at 05:04 AM
russdenney01
• • •
p.1 #13 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Serious kick ass work here! May I ask what focal length these were shot in or that you find most useful for cityscapes?

Jul 16, 2012 at 05:47 PM
Photo GeekMan
• •
p.1 #14 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

My favorites are #1 and #4. Love the reflections. The brightness of overexposed shot #1 doesn't bother me too much, it tends to feel more "alive" to me. And even though I like #4 best, I might have chosen to exclude Lady Liberty on the extreme left-hand side of the shot. She's so small I don't feel she adds much and I probably would have cropped the shot(s) right at the end of the South Ferry.
Overall, excellent shots.

Jul 16, 2012 at 07:41 PM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #15 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

russdenney01 wrote:
Serious kick ass work here! May I ask what focal length these were shot in or that you find most useful for cityscapes?

Russ,

There is no right answer to that, it just depends on the scene or if you are shooting panos or not. The last shot was taken with a 14-24 an the panos are taken with a 24-70 shot vertical at 24, like it said it varies but those are my main two lenses I use for all city shots.

Thanks for the comments

Shane

Jul 17, 2012 at 04:40 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #16 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Wow, just noticed these.
Not being a New Yorker, but visited several times, these make the city have a sense of calm. Knowing that when you get in the middle of the city, even late at night, the busy hustle and bustle seems everywhere, but from this perspective, there is a draw to the city, for the uninitiated and even for those who know what it's like.
#1 and #3 are my faves for the extra light and warm glow background (although 3 could be better without the 'midnight fishermen' or whomever the stragglers are...ironic to take a photo of NYC and not want people in it!)
#5 is also great for the foreground rocks!

Great stuff Shane!

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:47 PM
pinball
• • •
p.1 #17 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Good shots the one question that comes to mind is what white balance did you use on these shots, I find tungsten comes out better but more blueish that have to correct in PS. ?

Bill

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:58 AM
Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #18 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

pinball wrote:
Good shots the one question that comes to mind is what white balance did you use on these shots, I find tungsten comes out better but more blueish that have to correct in PS. ?

Bill

Bill,

I used auto white balance on these and adjusted these in raw to my liking.

Shane

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM
ldilaj

p.1 #19 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

awsome pics! which camera did you used?
Also would you know good hotel or building rooftops in the city that would allow to take pics?
thanks!

Aug 26, 2012 at 03:45 AM
Shaun Nyc
• •
p.1 #20 · New York City NIGHTSCAPES

Shane Psaltis wrote:
3 more

These must be resent because the BB lights are off and that damn construction is still going on , I'm 2 hrs away now & went for the first time since 09 and was faced same july 3rd. Walked the bridge and tried to make the best of it tho Your pano's look great ! Best Shaun

Aug 26, 2012 at 06:36 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password