Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Restoring Old Stereo Equipment

harrygilbert
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Restoring Old Stereo Equipment

I wanted to resurrect some vintage stereo equipment. My Thorens turn table, and my Radio Shack SCT-33 Cassette Player both needed belts. Alas, these units are both nearly 30 years old, and new belts are hard to find. I found an on-line vendor, Vintage Electronics, http://www.vintage-electronics.net and ordered belts. The belt for the turn table worked fine, but one of the 3 belt set for the cassette player was a tad too long. I emailed the proprietor, Bob Toepfer, who promptly made up a custom set with a shorter drive belt. Cassette player works like new.

It's nice to get fast, personal service from an on-line vendor.

Jul 03, 2012 at 12:02 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Restoring Old Stereo Equipment

I wonder if they could fix my old turntable with Rabco arm and V15 cartridge. That was quite a machine in 1971. We had a bunch of old equipment until a few years ago. The Revox A77 MK II from the same era still worked just fine and had a lifetime warranty. It had no belts except for the tape counter. I still have two dbx units (118, 119) that have been running almost continuously for over 30 years.

EBH

Jul 06, 2012 at 02:14 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Restoring Old Stereo Equipment

EB-1 wrote:
I wonder if they could fix my old turntable with Rabco arm and V15 cartridge. That was quite a machine in 1971. We had a bunch of old equipment until a few years ago. The Revox A77 MK II from the same era still worked just fine and had a lifetime warranty. It had no belts except for the tape counter. I still have two dbx units (118, 119) that have been running almost continuously for over 30 years.

EBH

I had a nice Thorens turntable with a Rabco SL-8A? straight line tracking arm. It was wonderful, but remarkably fragile and tempermental. I had to tweak with it every so often to keep it working.

Thanks for the reminder

<Chas>

Jul 06, 2012 at 03:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

borderlight
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Restoring Old Stereo Equipment

I used a Dual 1219 turntable thirty years ago. It was nice then, but a little impractical today. I recently restored a set JBL L100s that I purchased in the seventies - new frames, copy of original checkered foam, metal logos, and re-stained the speakers to a deeper color. The components still sound great. Made in California. Those were the days.

Jul 06, 2012 at 01:31 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Restoring Old Stereo Equipment

Two years ago I picked up a lightly used Technics 1210 MK2, a descendant of the turntable I lusted after back in the day. I love my vinyl.

I also have an old Advent cassette deck with a bad channel. Maybe I'll try to get it going eventually.

Jul 06, 2012 at 02:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Restoring Old Stereo Equipment

cwebster wrote:
I had a nice Thorens turntable with a Rabco SL-8A? straight line tracking arm. It was wonderful, but remarkably fragile and tempermental. I had to tweak with it every so often to keep it working.

Thanks for the reminder

<Chas>

The first Rabco died a sad death when a RR tape deck toppled over and crushed it in an earthquake. The second one seemed better. I think the second one was the "E" model, but I'm not sure. IIRC, the main complaints were about the battery and contacts for moving the arm.

EBH

Jul 08, 2012 at 06:43 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password