Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

Ransome
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

Hello All,

I would like to start by thanking you for sharing your wisdom and experience on this forum, it was a great help.

A while ago, my daughters science teacher asked me to shoot his wedding, as I've done a lot of work for the school, both event and portrait. I tried to talk him and his bride out of it several times. They persisted and after this weekend, I'm hooked. We shot six DSLR's, 2 x 5D Mk. III (one for video), 1 x 5D Mk. II, 7D and a 30D and Digital Rebel for two separate time lapse sequences. The kit also included 10 lenses and five flash, optically controlled. We also shot two other dedicated video cameras. Over 7,300 shots, almost 10 hours of video and 183.11 GB of media. What a rush.

I obviously haven't had much time for post, but wanted to share a time lapse I slapped together for the couple before they went on their honeymoon.

You can bet I'll be on this forum more and hopefully I'll be able to add some value in the future.

You can view the time lapse here. http://smu.gs/N3b6h4

Thanks.

Ransome

Jul 02, 2012 at 05:13 AM
Sam Hassas
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

The time lapse was cool man. Not something you see often on this forum.

Welcome to our drug world of crack that is wedding photography.

Jul 02, 2012 at 07:35 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

I love Pacific Grove! You brought the whole arsenal to this wedding! Not sure why but the time lapse video has funky color on my puter. I must not have the right plugin or something.

Jul 02, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Manzelle
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

7300 shots? 10 hours? 183GB of data? I suppose we'll see you back here in September.

Jul 02, 2012 at 02:42 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

Let's see. 7300 in 10 hours works out to 730 shots an hour, or 12 shots a minute, or a shot every 5 seconds.

I do not envy the processing. But please post a set when you can.

Andrew

Jul 02, 2012 at 03:20 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

I hope the 7300 shots include the time lapse photos. Those can certainly add up quickly!

Jul 02, 2012 at 04:55 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

Time lapse was neat, but there was some guy in a white shirt and a couple cameras that totally was blocking our view of the B&G.

Jul 02, 2012 at 06:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ransome
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

Yes, the vast majority were time lapse and I did have a second shooter. I didn't have time to set custom color balance for the time lapse or do any correction yet. I just wanted to give the couple a little parting gift before the honeymoon. They were thrilled. Now a days, quick seems to be appreciated more than good, but the final product will go through my entire workflow and will look at good/great for the final presentation.

Some guy in white shirt was me, taking pictures.

Jul 03, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Ransome
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

Manzelle wrote:
7300 shots? 10 hours? 183GB of data? I suppose we'll see you back here in September.

Automation is a good thing. I sell software by day, photographer at night. Knew that tec stuff would come in handy. I'll probably spend time with 300-500 images, some more than others. I've done some theater and turned around 40 portraits in 12 hours and six performances in less than two weeks. I've also spent 12 hours on one shot, so it depends on how good the initial exposure is and what the outcome needs to be.

Thanks for your feedback!

Jul 03, 2012 at 01:05 AM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

Excellent time lapse.

Loved the stills at the end too.

Well done. I am not a Wedding Photographer and would be scared to be one, like jumping out of an airplane I guess. I guess this is the adrenaline rush you guys and girls are talking about!

Jul 09, 2012 at 02:20 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

Geez. You line up ALL the guests and shoot them? Was that requested?

Jul 09, 2012 at 02:44 AM
zndr
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

On the timelapse:

The difference between pro and Am timlapeses is stability, Gryo heads etc are great and help a lot. But what can do the trick just as well is basic post stabalization, you have a larger than 1080 working area and have lots of room to crop down. Stabalize in your NLE or sometheing like AE or any 2d tracker It will make it look SOO much better and shouldn't take more than a few minutes work.

Jul 09, 2012 at 08:52 AM
Ransome
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I shot my first wedding this weekend.

zndr wrote:
On the timelapse:

The difference between pro and Am timlapeses is stability, Gryo heads etc are great and help a lot. But what can do the trick just as well is basic post stabalization, you have a larger than 1080 working area and have lots of room to crop down. Stabalize in your NLE or sometheing like AE or any 2d tracker It will make it look SOO much better and shouldn't take more than a few minutes work.

Good feedback, thanks. I just cranked it out with some free software to see what it looked like. I'll spend some more time on it after I do the still post processing. The time lapse we did at the reception location was stabilized and is much better. Lesson learned. The time lapse was an experiment, but I think I would make it part of the offering. It's quick to get something back for the B&G and they and their friends and family loved it. Can't believe the comments I've gotten, all good.

Jul 10, 2012 at 04:45 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password