Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lightroom Question

BGP1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom Question

Sup.

I'm on the verge of replacing my editing machine and as it stands right now I have always just had one giant LR catalog that I have maintained, adding and removing things as necessary. When I load up my new machine there is really only one wedding I want to carry over to the new computer and then I want to organize things differently.

My question is this: in order to move the wedding I am already working on, can I simply select to "export this folder as a catalog" and then import that back into the new machine? Will it retain the edits I have already started including ratings and picks? I'm sure I can figure it out but I would like to have everything ready to go so there is minimal downtime when I switch computers.

Thanks~

Brian

Jul 01, 2012 at 10:13 PM
tomrock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom Question

Yes, export as a catalog and then open or import on the new machine. All your edits, rankings, etc. will be there.

Jul 01, 2012 at 10:21 PM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom Question

Thanks, that's what I figured but I was looking for a bit of reassurance from the folks who I'm sure have done this before. I'm looking forward to a fresh start and I was hoping to finish this set before switching but I think it's time.

B

Jul 01, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

masaookano
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom Question

One thing to note is that if your files are in a different location on the new machine, the catalog will register the photos are missing as it will be looking for them via the same path as on the previous computer.

You will just need to sync the catalog with the new folder location and you'll be good to go.

Jul 02, 2012 at 04:23 PM
HappyCamp
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom Question

masaookano wrote:
One thing to note is that if your files are in a different location on the new machine, the catalog will register the photos are missing as it will be looking for them via the same path as on the previous computer.

You will just need to sync the catalog with the new folder location and you'll be good to go.

I've never noticed that happening. Sometimes I will import photos on my laptop using Lightroom. Then "Export as Catalog" to my network drive when I get home. Then "Import from Another Catalog" on my main computer. The photos go into two different paths between the laptop and the desktop. I have never seen the photos not show up on the desktop.

Jul 02, 2012 at 05:18 PM
tomrock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom Question

It depends on whether you export the original files with the catalog or not.

Jul 02, 2012 at 08:10 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password