1       2       3              267      
       269              373       374       end

Archive 2012 · OM-D & PEN Images

molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.268 #1 · p.268 #1 · OM-D & PEN Images

dukenukem wrote:
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2941/15100743178_5141748e94_o.jpgCon Ganas de Verdes by _dUkEnUkEm_, on Flickr
EM5, 9-18

Diego, if you keep this up, I'm going to have to buy a 9-18...

Sep 19, 2014 at 09:36 AM
dukenukem
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.268 #2 · p.268 #2 · OM-D & PEN Images

Molson, buy it !!! The photo you see on the back wall was made with 9-18...3,5 meters high, is a great achievement for a standard lens that fits into your pocket

Mi foto en el stand oficial de Olympus en el Photokina 2014 by _dUkEnUkEm_, on Flickr

Sep 19, 2014 at 09:54 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.268 #3 · p.268 #3 · OM-D & PEN Images

dukenukem wrote:
Molson, buy it !!!

Done...

Thanks for the invite to the 500PX group, BTW.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.268 #4 · p.268 #4 · OM-D & PEN Images

Well, it seems I'm joining the OMD crew. This is image number 33 from my new EM1/12-40 combo. I was a bit worried about DOF with this as I've heard it is difficult. Based on this SOC image, in nearly complete idiot mode I think I will be able to work with it

Sep 22, 2014 at 01:03 AM
dukenukem
• • •
p.268 #5 · p.268 #5 · OM-D & PEN Images

Islote by _dUkEnUkEm_, on Flickr
EM1, 9-18

http://500px.com/photo/84112927/islote-by-diego-garin-martin

Sep 23, 2014 at 07:49 AM
dukenukem
• • •
p.268 #6 · p.268 #6 · OM-D & PEN Images

Ermita by _dUkEnUkEm_, on Flickr
EM5, 9-18

https://500px.com/photo/84322717/ermita-by-diego-garin-martin

Sep 25, 2014 at 07:21 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.268 #7 · p.268 #7 · OM-D & PEN Images

With the upcoming Oly 40-150 f/2.8 Pro I am considering making a big switch from shooting Canon for wildlife, to a much smaller kit. I rented an EM1 to see if I could live with the IQ from this smaller sensor. So far I think its promising but I am not overwhelmed like I was with my X-E2 or DP2M. Here are some initial shots.

Sep 25, 2014 at 10:14 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.268 #8 · p.268 #8 · OM-D & PEN Images

What is it about the E-M1 files that you are not happy with?

You have to weigh the pros and cons. The Olympus OM-D is far from perfect. Fuji and Sigma has it's short-comings too - and the Sonys. I wish I can have the file quality of the FF Sonys; the size and lens quality of the PRO series; and the interface and menu system of the Canon cameras.

galenapass wrote:
With the upcoming Oly 40-150 f/2.8 Pro I am considering making a big switch from shooting Canon for wildlife, to a much smaller kit. I rented an EM1 to see if I could live with the IQ from this smaller sensor. So far I think its promising but I am not overwhelmed like I was with my X-E2 or DP2M. Here are some initial shots.

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.268 #9 · p.268 #9 · OM-D & PEN Images

Still trying to get the hang of this OMD E-M1. I had wanted to spend some serious time with it this week while traveling for work, but that didn't really happen. Got out and shot a little bit when I could. Mostly grab shots. Seeing some good and some bad so far. I suspect a fair amount if a simple lack of understanding. I'm also seeing some odd things with the Olympus photo tool, but again, I might chalk it up to lack of experience with it.

I will add that at time I have been a bit underwhelmed as well. While the images are sharp and the colors are fantastic they often don't garner much impact to me. It very well could be the settings and a bit of time will tell.

Anyway, this is an image thread so here is one. I really liked the natural clean colors. The scene is very much as it played out. This is SOC except some crop.

© Mike Huffstatler 2014

Flying High

Sep 27, 2014 at 02:02 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.268 #10 · p.268 #10 · OM-D & PEN Images

What is it about the image quality you find lacking, if you don't mind me asking? I am thinking of converging on my Sony A7 and an E-M1. I have an E-PL3, and the colours and sharpness of that are good, but it is of course a bit older, and the dynamic range and ISO performance are a bit behind the times.

Sep 27, 2014 at 02:04 AM
Wilbus
• • • •
p.268 #11 · p.268 #11 · OM-D & PEN Images

I too would like to know what it is you find lacking in the image quality? Just out of interest

You DO see some more noise at base ISO and of course more noise over the entire range when viewing at 100%. This is something that has bothered me on and off but not any more. Simple fact is I see pretty much 0% noise on A4 prints, even at 6400 ISO (last time I did I print at that ISO/Size that is) and that is really what matters. Noise is far more visible at screen then it ever is in prints.

A recent photo, actually nothing done to it but the normal 25 point Lightroom sharpening. Colors look good, contrast is high (too high?).

I think it takes some time getting used to both the camera and raw files, I am still getting used to it in some ways, I think I still think "Nikon" even though I've had the camera for around two years now.

Forgot to include the EXIF, it's he Em-5 with Olympus 45mm F1.8 at F1.8. ISO 200.

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:13 AM
RKTodd
• •
p.268 #12 · p.268 #12 · OM-D & PEN Images

Speaking of Nikon files. I've come to like my EM-1 files better than what I get from my D3s. This is solely based on my experience with shooting both systems side-by-side at weddings. I find the EM-1 files to need much less work, especially color correction. Never thought I would make that statement. I also don't find noise to be a problem for my type of work.

Sep 27, 2014 at 07:58 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.268 #13 · p.268 #13 · OM-D & PEN Images

Michael H wrote:
Still trying to get the hang of this OMD E-M1. I had wanted to spend some serious time with it this week while traveling for work, but that didn't really happen. Got out and shot a little bit when I could. Mostly grab shots. Seeing some good and some bad so far. I suspect a fair amount if a simple lack of understanding. I'm also seeing some odd things with the Olympus photo tool, but again, I might chalk it up to lack of experience with it.

I will add that at time I have been a bit underwhelmed
...Show more

Hey Michael, I'm in the same boat. But, I think I just may have figured a few things out - mostly related to post-processing. It will take me some time to get organized and post some examples but I will try sometime this weekend. Would be very interested in your input as well.

Sep 27, 2014 at 09:41 AM
Michael H
• • • •
p.268 #14 · p.268 #14 · OM-D & PEN Images

carstenw wrote:
What is it about the image quality you find lacking, if you don't mind me asking? I am thinking of converging on my Sony A7 and an E-M1. I have an E-PL3, and the colours and sharpness of that are good, but it is of course a bit older, and the dynamic range and ISO performance are a bit behind the times.

You know, that is a very good question. A great description has so far eluded me. Maybe it's just different than what I'm used to (certainly, actually). There is just a look and feel to the images...and not all of them...that just fall a bit short of what I would expect. I have not worked with my usual tools like LR and CS6, only the Olympus Picture view thing. As I sit here and type it might be that some of the images just look a bit too "digital". Does that make sense? There is a rich and almost organic feel to my 1DS3 images. I know this setup is not meant to be that full-frame tool. It might however just be the differences I'm spotting and not quite used to.

I'm not yet giving up. I am determined to see what I can get out of this great tool. I've seen too many great results from it to dismiss it. I'm sure it's pilot error at this point. When I get it right from my side the camera does great things. Like the image I posted above...the colors are spot on to what I saw in person. It's razor sharp. So sharp in fact that when I zoom in tight I can read the brand of kite on the lower tip of the sail.

What I really like so far;
--The build - it is solid. So much more solid than most of the smaller bodies I've picked up. Olympus did this right.
--The focus system - At least in single shot, the focus is fast and very accurate. Focus tracking sucks so far for me, and I've not had an opportunity to really test the face follow.
--The AWB and colors. The AWB has been mostly very accurate. A couple times I thought it should have done much better than it did.
--Exposure seems pretty accurate and it holds highlights very well. Maybe however at the expense of shadows.
--TONS of features for getting creative. I am quite certain I won't use any of the over the top art filters, or crazy picture styles there are some that seem interesting.
--As simple as it sounds, the WiFi and the app to control the camera. I think this is an incredibly handy tool. It works well in my limited testing and I see myself using it in many different activities. No fumbling with pocket wizards, etc. useless I want it for flash. Even then if I get the Olympus flash system that might even fit the bill for many things.

What I really don't like;
--My learning curve I know there is nothing to be done about that, but it is nonetheless a part I didn't give enough consideration to.
--EVF. I'm really torn on this. In low light, it's great. In bright light...not so much. The color quality of the EVF is also utter crap. Everything is presented far too cool and far from accurate. In fairness, my benchmark for a viewfinder is my big beautiful 1DS3 with a fast lens letting in tons of light.
--Focus tracking/servo/whatever its called is useless. Completely horrible and I suspect I will never use it. Thats a shame really because I was hoping to use this for the concert stuff I shoot. That may be a BIG limitation.

Below is a horribly framed example of SOC images that just look flat and lifeless to me. I noticed while saving the first one via the Olympus tool that it was -3 EV. A setting I always use when I want to get richer more saturated colors. The second image is taken back to +/- 0 EV. Some of the dynamics I saw in person are brought back. I am also impressed how it held the highlights in the waves.

The third image is one I grabbed quickly as I was shuffling between appointments. After sunset. Shot from a hotel entryway. This was very close and very accurate to what I saw in person. This one impressed me as it did not try to pull up the dark areas as I suspect my Canon bodies would have.

© Mike Huffstatler 2014

As shot. -3 EV

© Mike Huffstatler 2014

As shot except pulled back up to +/- 0 EV

© Mike Huffstatler 2014

A quick grab after sunset. Very accurate and close to what I saw in person.

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:43 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.268 #15 · p.268 #15 · OM-D & PEN Images

Scroll down to the 10th image on this link. The BIF was shot with a super-slow old Zuiko 50-200 lens … but the maker of this image had no trouble locking focus on the bird. I think the settings you use is important e.g. C-AF is quite useless - it's better to track with S-AF.

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=68906

The AF speed on the PRO series lenses are supposed to be really good/fast. Sure, it's still no match compared to a DSLR … but it's getting there. Maybe with the next iteration of the E-M1 - which should also have a top speed of 1/32,000 seconds!

Michael H wrote:
What I really don't like;

--Focus tracking/servo/whatever its called is useless. Completely horrible and I suspect I will never use it. Thats a shame really because I was hoping to use this for the concert stuff I shoot. That may be a BIG limitation.

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Michael H
• • • •
p.268 #16 · p.268 #16 · OM-D & PEN Images

Thanks for that Bobby. All of the images on that page are great and very encouraging. I will keep trying with this. I want it to work. I have not tried the S-AF mode but will try very soon.

I also want to get the firmware updated. That too may help.

-mike

bobbytan wrote:
Scroll down to the 10th image on this link. The BIF was shot with a super-slow old Zuiko 50-200 lens … but the maker of this image had no trouble locking focus on the bird. I think the settings you use is important e.g. C-AF is quite useless - it's better to track with S-AF.

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=68906

The AF speed on the PRO series lenses are supposed to be really good/fast. Sure, it's still no match compared to a DSLR … but it's getting there. Maybe with the next iteration of the E-M1 - which should also have a top speed of 1/32,000
...Show more

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:32 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.268 #17 · p.268 #17 · OM-D & PEN Images

More great images from an m43 shooter:

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=61610

http://500px.com/LivingLoud

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:48 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.268 #18 · p.268 #18 · OM-D & PEN Images

And some of you may be familiar with Rob Collin's work. He shoots with Olympus E-M1 and Sony a7:

www.flickr.com/photos/robcoll/

Sep 27, 2014 at 05:04 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.268 #19 · p.268 #19 · OM-D & PEN Images

Those are great works bobbytan. Wow.

Sep 28, 2014 at 09:46 AM
owyhee
• • •
p.268 #20 · p.268 #20 · OM-D & PEN Images

A couple of landscapes taken with the EM-5. Unfortunately the sky was cloudless for the two days I was in this area.

Bench Lakes #4

Aspen and Mountains

Sep 28, 2014 at 11:02 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.