The Old Shed by Mawz, on Flickr
E-M5, m.Zuiko 12-50

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:15 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.232 #2 · p.232 #2 · OM-D & PEN Images

owyhee wrote:
My dog in a snow storm in the Idaho mountains. Taken with the Olympus 60mm macro lens. I love this lens!

Beautiful!!
Greg

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:46 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.232 #3 · p.232 #3 · OM-D & PEN Images

My first few shots with the E-M1 coming from FF. Everything is so brown and ugly here right now that it is hard to find anything worth shooting. So please excuse my subject matter, as I am just trying to learn the camera and see what the files look like when I make them. There are many of you here that can make these OLY's sing for sure. I am not very impressed with my first few tries and I don't know if it is for lack of something interesting to shoot, or because I don't know what I am doing with this body, or if I am seeing more noise than I am use too?? Today the sun is out so I will try again.
Greg

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:54 AM
owyhee
• • •
p.232 #4 · p.232 #4 · OM-D & PEN Images

Greg,
I like your barb wire image. Very nice isolation.
Don't worry it will come to you. The EM5 and I am sure the EM1 are really fun cameras. I use to shoot Canon crop bodies and since I moved to m4/3 I find that I take many more photographs and have a higher keeper rate.

Aaron

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:48 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.232 #5 · p.232 #5 · OM-D & PEN Images

Aaron, thank you for the positive words. I sure hope you are right. I went out for a couple of hours today with the tripod (which I use for the majority of my shooting) and the Oly. My My, what a different experience. It was so easy to hop in and out of my truck, so easy to head down creek banks and up ravines....so light and responsive. If I can learn to shoot pictures with this thing it will change the number of locations I shoot at. Mirror less is a game changer if I can get the image quality I expect.
Thank you again for the encouragement,
Greg

Feb 16, 2014 at 09:20 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.232 #6 · p.232 #6 · OM-D & PEN Images

rxgolf wrote:
My first few shots with the E-M1 coming from FF. Everything is so brown and ugly here right now that it is hard to find anything worth shooting. So please excuse my subject matter, as I am just trying to learn the camera and see what the files look like when I make them. There are many of you here that can make these OLY's sing for sure. I am not very impressed with my first few tries and I don't know if it is for lack of something interesting to shoot, or because I don't know what I am
...Show more

Hi greg, hope you end up enjoying the EM1 as much as I.

Looking at your profile, you've got two things against you - You've comparing IQ to a FF, and you're comparing it to a D800 with twice the MP (meaning it also has a downsampling advantage).

Let me say it bluntly - the EM1 has noise, even at base ISO. It'll be more visible in certain situations than others, but it'll be there. I've learned to live with it, and frankly it now doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I've owned an extensive array of cameras over the last 6 years or so, and settled on the EM1. Here are some of my hints, maybe they'll help you out (or maybe not)

1) Cameras require different post processing procedures. I'm not sure if you're shooting JPEG or RAW, but if you're shooting raw then you're going to have to learn to process somewhat differently - for instance, start adding a 20 luminance NR to shots showing lots of solid blocks of color - it works fairly nicely in getting rid of the noise (I use LR5, btw).

2) Look for the strengths, don't focus on the weaknesses. This was a huge problem of mine for quite a while (which is probably why I swapped systems so many damn times). Instead of saying "oh wow, this camera can do this and this and this", I would say "bummer, this camera can't do X like my D700 or Y like my Fuji XE1 or ...." You'll drive yourself crazy like that.

In the EM1's case in particular, I say -

1. It's great to have weather sealing
  2. This package is so much smaller than my former FF setup.
  3. I love touch screen focus point changing
  4. IBIS rocks!
  5. LiveBulb rocks!
  6. White balance works excellently
  7. Gotta love having deeper DOF for certain shots!

Sure, I could focus on the fact it's got CDAF (not the best for tracking), it's only a single card slot, or that it won't match up with noise characteristics of a FF camera, but I'd just drive myself crazy and force a system swap I've almost even put the DOF issue mostly to bed - I was using shallow DOF as a crutch, and not to good effect very well.

Also, be aware certain settings on the camera are likely to result in different performance and exposure - for instance if you shoot Jpeg (or even RAW), your Gradation setting is going to alter your shot parameters for both, and potentially cause more noise in JPEG due to the camera raising shadows.

Also, if you can afford the DR hit in the highlights, ISO 100 *does* give cleaner output than ISO 200.

One from the EM5 archive

Sunset on the Gulf Coast

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.232 #7 · p.232 #7 · OM-D & PEN Images

cputeq wrote:
Hi greg, hope you end up enjoying the EM1 as much as I.

Looking at your profile, you've got two things against you - You've comparing IQ to a FF, and you're comparing it to a D800 with twice the MP (meaning it also has a downsampling advantage).

Let me say it bluntly - the EM1 has noise, even at base ISO. It'll be more visible in certain situations than others, but it'll be there. I've learned to live with it, and frankly it now doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

I've owned an extensive array of cameras over
...Show more

So much I would like to address with this post, but in order to keep it brief I will start with THANK YOU. First of all, I have admired many of your pictures posted on this thread, and actually you are one of the posters showing pics that made me want to try this camera! Second, I like you have tried many, many cameras and you nailed it when you told me that I need to concentrate on not focusing on the weaknesses of my flavor of the month, but work with and enjoy the strengths of the EM1.....and there are many! Thirdly, your detailed help about using NR with LR5( I do shoot only RAW) may prove to be what I need to get past the noise I am seeing in nearly every shot. Many of your shots, and others here are good enough for me, but mine after two days are not. Your thoughtfulness and time to post to me have made me realize that indeed my PP will have to change as I am trying to use my old ways with a new species.
I sincerely appreciate your time!
Greg

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.232 #8 · p.232 #8 · OM-D & PEN Images

So anyone get the Olympus 25mm f1.8 delivered yet and any images to share ?

I've ordered from Adorama but haven't gotten a ship notification yet even though it says "in stock".

Also put a pre-order in for the fisheye lens cap which should hopefully ship this month. Sadly was $99 instead of the $50 I thought it would, as was the 15mm lens cap, but I think it should be a bit more useful and fun than the 15mm lens was, so should still turn out to be one of those no-brainer purchases for m4/3

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:48 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.232 #9 · p.232 #9 · OM-D & PEN Images

A few from a charity event for a local animal sanctuary/zoo. All with E-M5 and Pany 35-100mm.
http://horshack.smugmug.com/Travel/Las-Vegas/i-BPS7zHq/0/XL/Zappos_Roos_N_More_Charity_021614-12-XL.jpg
http://horshack.smugmug.com/Travel/Las-Vegas/i-q2WbxTQ/0/XL/Zappos_Roos_N_More_Charity_021614-20-XL.jpg
http://horshack.smugmug.com/Travel/Las-Vegas/i-MtsFzbQ/0/XL/Zappos_Roos_N_More_Charity_021614-21-XL.jpg
http://horshack.smugmug.com/Travel/Las-Vegas/i-TrQNxSB/0/XL/Zappos_Roos_N_More_Charity_021614-1-XL.jpg
http://horshack.smugmug.com/Travel/Las-Vegas/i-SFXvBWg/0/XL/Zappos_Roos_N_More_Charity_021614-2-XL.jpg
http://horshack.smugmug.com/Travel/Las-Vegas/i-ZggTKM4/0/XL/Zappos_Roos_N_More_Charity_021614-45-XL.jpg

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:17 AM
juju1958
• • •
p.232 #10 · p.232 #10 · OM-D & PEN Images

We had a surge in the local harbour where the small punts were washed up onto the quay side.

E-M5 12-50mm

THE SURGE by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

THE SURGE by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Feb 17, 2014 at 05:24 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.232 #11 · p.232 #11 · OM-D & PEN Images

Kicks on Route 66

Still trying to get some files with the ME1
Greg

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:09 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.232 #12 · p.232 #12 · OM-D & PEN Images

Welcome to our little corner of the mirrorless world, Greg!

I switched from Canon FF to the E-M5 about a year and a half ago and I have not looked back. m43 is far from perfect then and it's far from perfect now. Sure, you will some noise (especially if your image is slightly under-exposed and you try to increase your exposure in the shadow areas in post) but they clean up pretty easy. Aside from the noise, you are really not giving up too much by going to m43 … unless you had a 36MP body before. Even so, unless you are making very large prints or you have a habit of doing heavy cropping, you are not sacrificing too much.

With the recent announcement of the 7-14/2.8 and 150/4 lenses, the m43 system is maturing and you should be able to find some really good lenses across the entire focal range. Even though some of these fast lenses like the 42.5/1.2 Nocticron, Zuiko 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, and 150/2.8 PRO lenses are relatively big and heavy, they are significantly smaller and lighter than FF and even APS-C equivalent lenses. So just enjoy your m43 system, especially on your hikes and travels! We look forward to seeing more contributions from you.

Bobby

rxgolf wrote:
So much I would like to address with this post, but in order to keep it brief I will start with THANK YOU. First of all, I have admired many of your pictures posted on this thread, and actually you are one of the posters showing pics that made me want to try this camera! Second, I like you have tried many, many cameras and you nailed it when you told me that I need to concentrate on not focusing on the weaknesses of my flavor of the month, but work with and enjoy the strengths of the EM1.....and there
...Show more

Edited on Feb 17, 2014 at 08:48 AM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:33 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.232 #13 · p.232 #13 · OM-D & PEN Images

A couple more from the area of Route 66 a few miles from home including a pretty nice mural.
Thanks for any and all PP thoughts!
Greg

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:34 AM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.232 #14 · p.232 #14 · OM-D & PEN Images

Ah, words of wisdom from another FMer that made me want to make this jump! Bobby, I will guess you can capture wonderful things with any camera. Thank you for your thoughts, and CC in the future, and most of all for sharing your photographs. Anytime I see your name, I am anxious to open the post and see the image!!
Sincerely,
Greg

PS:And I probably will miss those 36mp a tiny bit :-))

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:46 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.232 #15 · p.232 #15 · OM-D & PEN Images

Thank you, Greg. To be honest, I did harbor some thoughts about trying out the Sony a7r … but the system is not mature and I really don't care much for MF lenses. More importantly, you will not be saving much on bulk and weight as FF fast lenses are still going to be large and heavy. It's all a matter of preferences and priorities.

rxgolf wrote:
Ah, words of wisdom from another FMer that made me want to make this jump! Bobby, I will guess you can capture wonderful things with any camera. Thank you for your thoughts, and CC in the future, and most of all for sharing your photographs. Anytime I see your name, I am anxious to open the post and see the image!!
Sincerely,
Greg

PS:And I probably will miss those 36mp a tiny bit :-))

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:56 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.232 #16 · p.232 #16 · OM-D & PEN Images

rxgolf wrote:
So much I would like to address with this post, but in order to keep it brief I will start with THANK YOU. First of all, I have admired many of your pictures posted on this thread, and actually you are one of the posters showing pics that made me want to try this camera! Second, I like you have tried many, many cameras and you nailed it when you told me that I need to concentrate on not focusing on the weaknesses of my flavor of the month, but work with and enjoy the strengths of the EM1.....and there
...Show more

Thanks for the kind words and yeah, it'll take a bit to learn the camera to its fullest. I'm not sure how / if you sharpen in LR, but look into using masking when you do sharpening -- helps with avoiding sharpening the noise. With some cameras you really don't need to use masking that much (at least, IMO), like my former 6D, but with the m43 cameras and usually even APS-C cameras, I'll start using masking because otherwise the sharpening starts picking up the noise also.

And, unsure if you know this, but hold down the Alt key while modifying your sharpening masking and you'll see where LR does and doesn't sharpen - I typically just aim to get the edges included.

And truthfully, when it really came to noise, what helped me out was when I got my Macbook Pro retina 15"...literally.

That's because if I output an image to native ratio and at least 2880x1800 (its max resolution) and view it full screen, it looks gorgeous - like a print, even at a relatively low screen MP count of 5.1MP. It's roughly equivalent to viewing an 8x10, maybe a little larger. I then realized the noise thing is *mostly* me just pixel peeping -- it has very little to do with my outputs. After that I pretty much just stopped caring so much about noise.

Granted, on large-printed high ISO shots, m43 won't be as good as other systems, but for me I rarely print so large that it matters and I rarely shoot that high anyway, so it's mostly a moot point. YMMV of course!

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.232 #17 · p.232 #17 · OM-D & PEN Images

E-M1 + 75/1.8

Feb 17, 2014 at 05:50 PM
juju1958
• • •
p.232 #18 · p.232 #18 · OM-D & PEN Images

OM-D e_m5 Panny Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f5

ABSTRACT by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Feb 17, 2014 at 06:57 PM
ultrapix
• • •
p.232 #19 · p.232 #19 · OM-D & PEN Images

juju1958 wrote:

OM-D e_m5 Panny Leica 25mm f1.4 @ f5

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7399/12600926413_880dda8478_o.jpg
ABSTRACT by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Kandinsky

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:05 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.232 #20 · p.232 #20 · OM-D & PEN Images

Red on Green by Mawz, on Flickr
E-M5, SMCP-M 50/4 Macro

Feb 18, 2014 at 07:27 AM
1       2       3              231      
       233              373       374       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              231      
       233              373       374       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.