Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Old Sugar Mill & my Kids - Clarksburg, CA

JeffHall916

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Old Sugar Mill & my Kids - Clarksburg, CA

So I wanted to check out the Old Sugar Mill so I was taking some test shots with my kids. C&C welcome as always

1 I should have had him sit different

Jul 01, 2012 at 04:48 AM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Old Sugar Mill & my Kids - Clarksburg, CA

A nice set. You've used the surroundings to add some good interest to the shots.

A couple of quick and obvious points from me. First, all but the last 2 are very underexposed, and even the last 2 could be brightened up. The simple thing to remember when considering your exposure is to just go by the face of your subject. It's not realistic to have perfect exposure for every shot straight from the camera (although as your experience grows your exposures straight from the camera will improve significantly, but even the pros don't always get exposure bang on), and so the beauty of post processing comes into play. Just play with them sliders my friend and tweak until your subjects face is properly exposed.

Second point. Check your compositions. They are all very central which creates a boring viewing experience. The best and most effective place to start is using the rule of thirds. Place your subjects body or face onto 1/3rd of the frame and this will instantly improve the composition. Quite often you can crop later on to achieve this but in most of your images above they are just far too central to crop onto thirds.

For me the best image is number 1. The hand rails make for great lead in lines which keep pulling the viewers eyes to your subject. A shallower DoF would have made this even more effective and for me this is the only image where being central in composition works. Bump up the exposure and it will be a pleasing portrait. To critique this image further I would say that the 'danger' tape and the pillar coming out of his head is a little distracting so next time always think about what else is sharing the frame with your subject and how it affects them.

Jul 01, 2012 at 07:40 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Old Sugar Mill & my Kids - Clarksburg, CA

hi,

The photos you posted show up really large.

I suggest: downsize them to about 800px tall then repost.

Aug 06, 2012 at 06:54 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #4 · Old Sugar Mill & my Kids - Clarksburg, CA

Looks like a location with good potential. CT gave you some good advice, particularly around exposure. In places like this with lots of random elements I always try to pay extra attention to the background for what to include/exclude, the light in 2 stands out.
Dave

Aug 06, 2012 at 07:10 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password