Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Light Stands ???

ChipThome
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Light Stands ???

Let me give you a bit of background so you can understand where I am coming from.

Came to stills form the video side and there support was primo to your effort. Cheap tripods meant questionable support and short lifespans. I was doing bar band promo videos, so was using all existing light and didn't have any lighting gear.

Now I am trying stills and looking at lights stands. I had bought some Ravelli stands from Amazon, cheap, probably the same ones everyone sells with a different name. They do a good job of holding up the Lowel Pro lights (1-2#), but forget about hanging any sizable softbox from them. If they are left out of a traffic flow, they're ok, but if bumped, they are definitely going over.

As I go out looking at light stands, I see people advertising "heavy duty" and they look exactly like the ones I have now. I look at weight of the stands and am seeing these in the 3-ish pound range whereas my smaller Manfrotto tripod runs out about 5.5 pounds. So doesn't take a genius to figure out these cheap light stands are not going to be as sturdy as the support I have become used to.

I am buying some Photogenic PL1250 strobes that weigh about 5.5# by themselves. Because the flash tube and modeling light replacements are so expensive, I know for sure I need something more rock solid. If I hang my large Photoflex saoftbox on the strobe unit, I will be approaching the 12-ish pound range. My problem is, I am not seeing anything where the stats are showing me it's going to be better than what I already have.

So.....any suggestions of what is going to work and keep these strobes secure while attached I need something knockdownable as this will be for a "home studio" and can't be a permanent fixture.

Jul 01, 2012 at 03:36 AM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Light Stands ???

I use Avenger light stands for strobes in the weight range you mention. Look at the Avenger A635B as a reasonable stand to move around and to also stow fairly easily. It also can be used for remote locations fairly easily.

If you want to consider a C stand, which can be a very good choice for a studio only situation, look at the Avenger C stands that have the removable "Turtle Base". These are much easier to store away than a regular C stand. Note that you almost always need bag weights on C stands, so keep that in mind when planning if you are considering them.

Jul 01, 2012 at 03:59 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Light Stands ???

I have several insubstantial alu stands which are lightweight and can hold 10-20 lbs if the load is perfectly centered and kept at low altitude. My serious stands are steel Matthews like the Medium Overhead Roller which can loft 90 lbs and itself weighs 36 lbs. This one doesn't need sandbags, and doesn't tip over, period. It does have wheels for easy mobility, and folds down nicely for storage. It always pays to buy properly made support since it will last forever, and may save your life.

Matthews product page with downloadable catalog: http://www.msegrip.com/product.html

Jul 01, 2012 at 04:59 AM
ChipThome
• •
p.1 #4 · Light Stands ???

Thanks guys, I'm taking notes. :-)

Anyone else with some input

Jul 02, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #5 · Light Stands ???

If the weight and cost are not factors.... I agree with C stands. I use the Avenger ones.... I imagine Matthews are the same. Be careful with bargain brands- there was a recent thread here about someone who bought some eBay special C stands and they wouldn't grip standard 5/8" pins and such.

I can hang a monolight and 40" octabox on a 40" arm and they won't fall over unbagged (though I do always bag once I move things into the final spot).

I can also stick a 9ft boom on one fully extended, unbagged, and they don't tip over (again, just to see if it would )

As mentioned above, I use the "turtle base" ones... the base separates from the center column for storage/transport.

Jul 02, 2012 at 02:21 PM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Light Stands ???

ChipThome wrote:
Thanks guys, I'm taking notes.

Getting closer to a decision? I can suggest specific stands given further input from you: max payload, height, budget, boom suitability, etc.

Jul 03, 2012 at 04:40 AM
ChipThome
• •
p.1 #7 · Light Stands ???

It sure looks like a C stand or two is what I am looking for. B&H has an Avenger in the $120-ish range that looks like I could make fly with the slush fund balance. Any other suggestions

Jul 03, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #8 · Light Stands ???

I use the Bogan/Manfrotto 13 foot air damped stands and put wheels on them. Very strong and sturdy.

Jul 03, 2012 at 11:09 PM
ChipThome
• •
p.1 #9 · Light Stands ???

John do you have a model # for those

Jul 04, 2012 at 04:33 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #10 · Light Stands ???

Hey Chip, I have 10 of the Manfrotto Art. 004 stands which have been replaced with the Art. 1004BAC which is air dampened and has the new style leg system making them stack in a more compact way for travel. See here for a 3 pack, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/636420-REG/Manfrotto_1004BAC_3_1004BAC_3_QSS_Air_Cushioned.html

My first Art. 004 is 31 years old and I bought my last one 25 years ago and won't need to replace them for the rest of my career. They aren't the most compact but they also are built tough and I have never had an issue with them, they just work. Super clamps and side arms let me get the lights lower and I also have a handful of floor stands with 4 section posts for lower work. You can't go wrong with Manfrotto but I suggest you buy the model you need now and down the road as you won't wear them out.

Jul 04, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Light Stands ???

JohnBrose wrote:
I use the Bogan/Manfrotto 13 foot air damped stands and put wheels on them. Very strong and sturdy.

I use those and they are a great value, and strong. Buy them used for a good deal. When you start using big softboxes etc., you just can't go with cheap stands.

Kent in SD

Jul 04, 2012 at 08:00 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #12 · Light Stands ???

I'm still using the same pair of lightstands that I bought when I was in college 7 years ago.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253074-REG/Impact_LS_8A_Air_Cushioned_Light_Stand.html
The only thing I've ever mounted on them is a 285HV with either a 46" umbrella or a 28" softbox.

You already know how much weight they need to hold, just figure out how high you need it go. A quick search on B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840714-REG/Kupo_KS140811_Universal_Stand_Black.html
Holds 19lbs, 12' high

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/243911-REG/Avenger_A2018F_A2018F_Century_C_Stand.html
17lbs, 6ft high

Jul 19, 2012 at 08:21 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #13 · Light Stands ???

I've got about 6 of these 9 ft air cushioned Impacts. I also own and am a fan of Manfrotto stands/booms but these house-brand Impacts are such a bargain I pick up an extra when ordering from B&H like you'd grab a candy bar at the grocery check out.

22lb rating, $40, holding Eli 600 monos and 50ish inch softboxes with no problem, ever.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/253069-REG/Impact_LS_96HAB_Air_Cushioned_Heavy_Duty_Light.html

Jul 24, 2012 at 09:44 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password