Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

This is why you should wait if you can for atleast second generation before taking a plunge.
As always there is no one better than Anandtech when it comes to giving indepth technical review of gadgets/computers...

AnandTech goes on to assess this graphics performance, noting that the Retina MacBook Pro at times struggles to maintain a "consistently smooth experience".
At 2880 x 1800 most interactions are smooth but things like zooming windows or scrolling on certain web pages is clearly sub-30fps. At the higher scaled resolutions, since the GPU has to render as much as 9.2MP, even UI performance can be sluggish. There’s simply nothing that can be done at this point - Apple is pushing the limits of the hardware we have available today, far beyond what any other OEM has done.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/29/retina-macbook-pro-pushes-the-limits-of-its-graphics-capabilities/

Jun 29, 2012 at 07:15 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

Better to wait for the third generation, its usually better than the second.

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:36 PM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

Better to wait for the new version of the 4th generation, it's usually better.

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:47 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

Have you seen one person? I went to the Apple Store and I wasn't entirely impressed with the display. Very good, but didn't blow my mind. Also, if you're a road warrior it simply will not work, a lot of glare in the store even though Apple claims they reduced the glare by 75%.

Jun 30, 2012 at 05:26 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

Awesome wedding thread.

Jun 30, 2012 at 05:29 AM
kjcramer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

Typing this on one right now. Editing in Aperture and lightroom is amazing; there is an incredible amount of detail and "depth" to the images that was not there before. Just makes me wish everyone could see the edits on a screen like this.

Makes a great windows 7 machine too for what it's worth.

Jun 30, 2012 at 05:31 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

brett maxwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

kjcramer wrote:
Makes a great windows 7 machine too for what it's worth.

For Windows are you actually running it at native resolution? Can you set it to display as a more detailed 1440x900 like it does with OSX?

Jun 30, 2012 at 05:53 AM
ChadAndreo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

The main reason why I am waiting is because the ram and HD is welded in so you cannot upgrade those components in the future.

Jun 30, 2012 at 07:13 AM
WilliamG
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

ChadAndreo wrote:
The main reason why I am waiting is because the ram and HD is welded in so you cannot upgrade those components in the future.

Then you'll be waiting forever. Apple is heading down this road with ALL its devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro etc).

Jun 30, 2012 at 07:27 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

Agree with all of this apart from two things. This is so OT and ArsTechnica smokes AnandTech.

Jul 01, 2012 at 01:30 AM
ChadAndreo
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Retina MBP - Procrastination could be a bliss :)

WilliamG wrote:
Then you'll be waiting forever. Apple is heading down this road with ALL its devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro etc).

Thats unfortunate. I guess I will be using my '11 MBP for a while then especially with the prices of large SSD dropping significantly.

Jul 01, 2012 at 06:16 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password