FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Samsung Series 9 Monitor

sfr002
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samsung Series 9 Monitor

Samsung just released their new monitor. Opinions?

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27B970DS/ZA?MKM_RID=0124938441&MKM_MID=1087142&CID=eml-ce-mon-0612-158

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samsung Series 9 Monitor

The info on the site is a little scant. Can you use software to write to what I assume is hardware calibration? How many bits is the LUT? sRBG monitor too if that matters.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samsung Series 9 Monitor

No wall-mount, but I do like the thin-ness. I'd be curious how well it compares to a SIPS panel...never heard of LED PLS type displays. I also like how the inputs are in the base at the bottom. What would make it better than the Dell U2711 or Apple Thunderbolt Display?

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:19 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samsung Series 9 Monitor

eh, 100% of sRGB....my 21.5" dell ultrasharp does that....285 cd/m2....overkill for me...100 cd/m2 is all i need.....screen size, yeah that's pretty sweet......

i think the PLS (plane line switching) panel is prob the same as IPS (in plane switching)...it's a proprietary samsung thing... here's from wikipedia...

A new technology named Super PLS (Plane to Line Switching) has been developed by Samsung with the intent of superseding conventional IPS. Samsung claims the following benefits of Super PLS (commonly referred to as just "PLS") over IPS:
100 percent improvement in viewing angle
10 percent increase in brightness
Up to 15 percent decrease in production costs
Increased image quality
[edit]

i'm not sure how you quantify 100% improvement in viewing angle....i generally look at my display head on when it matters....

of course i'm just hatin'....if i had the money, i'd buy one :-)

Jun 29, 2012 at 01:54 PM
M. Magallon
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samsung Series 9 Monitor

1.) No color gamut described, unless I missed it

2.) Much prefer matte over glossy displays

3.) No description of screen uniformity, which I've come to conclude is immensely important when editing photos

I'm a little skeptical if this is in the same league as NEC, Lacie, Eizo. After all, it is self-described as targeted for professional photographers. It seems to me it's in the same class as an Dell Ultrasharp and Apple Thunderbolt display. The latter displays are great, but they aren't in the same league as NEC, Lacie, or EIZO from a photography editing standpoint.

Jun 29, 2012 at 02:01 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Samsung Series 9 Monitor

The video tour on the Newegg site (second video in the series) says it:

1) is color calibrated at the factory, and
2) has an integrated color calibration engine.

The video shows what appears to be an included calibration camera working with the integrated calibration software. Seems as though they've designed this for our niche. How good it is remains to be seen.

Jun 29, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Gary Harfield
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Samsung Series 9 Monitor

More info

Finely Tuned
Each manually calibrated Series 9 Monitor undergoes an expert, hour-long adjustment process before it reaches your home or office — ensuring you get the highest-quality images right out of the box. And once it’s yours the built-in calibration engine enables in-home adjustments for the perfect picture every time.

*Sensor Sold Separately

Jun 29, 2012 at 03:27 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.