Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · just screwed up...

Streuth

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · just screwed up...

didn't notice as for the last million years my camera has been set to capture RAW. However, I've just accidentally shot a days commercial work with a 5dIII set to jpg 1920 px wide - the files are about 600kbs

Can I wing it and upsize? The shots are destined for an A4 brochure. Any suggestions on the best upscaling practice, or shall I just admit it and reshoot...?

Arse.

Jun 29, 2012 at 02:29 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · just screwed up...

The rule of thumb that I use is this.

Smaller prints (up to 8x12) can stand a 100 px per inch print res. I have tested it many times and with each camera I get when I replace them.

When you get to 16x24 and up, you need a little better res., like 120+.

It is not ideal, but you can make it work.

Jun 29, 2012 at 02:39 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #3 · just screwed up...

Oh, and GF (genuine fractals) is solid software for uprezing, but I would not be attempting to get a 240px per inch level from them.

Jun 29, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #4 · just screwed up...

I have done similar things with camera settings I don't change often at all, since it's not something I ever really change I never really check it. I should be more disciplined in resetting everything to a standard setting before the camera goes in the bag.

DavidWEGS wrote:
Oh, and GF (genuine fractals) is solid software for uprezing, but I would not be attempting to get a 240px per inch level from them.

Yeah upresing seems to swing in roundabouts, do you print a 180dpi or upres to 300dpi in software?

Jun 29, 2012 at 02:47 PM
Binh Ly
• • • •
p.1 #5 · just screwed up...

1920 pixels / 12 inches = 160ppi.

You will probably be OK as long as you don't have a lot of tiny details in those pictures. I doubt uprezzing will improve anything much but if you do, I would just do it in Photoshop (yes I have tried GF and Alien Skin Blow Up). If done properly, Photoshop CS Bicubic Smoother (followed by proper output sharpening) can be just as good if not better than those third party unless you don't have time to waste and just want a quick solution.

Jun 29, 2012 at 03:00 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #6 · just screwed up...

It really depends on the use ... for a really important client who wants serious detail, I'd say it's too low. However, requirements vary and only you will know.

Do a test print?

Jun 29, 2012 at 03:26 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #7 · just screwed up...

Don't worry. My wife just did the same thing. Second shot an entire wedding in .jpeg. She was mortified when she got home. It happens.

I think it depends on how much detail your client wants. You may be able to get away with it.

Sorry to be so vague.

Jun 29, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #8 · just screwed up...

Depending on the quality of the brochure printing you will probably be fine, it's probably nothing like the quality of photo paper or fancy high end art mags.

Edited on Jun 29, 2012 at 04:15 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2012 at 04:01 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · just screwed up...

8x10 and smaller and you'll likely be fine. Web stuff, fine for sure. But, prepare yourself for the question of "I thought these would be larger files..."

Jun 29, 2012 at 04:11 PM
DavidCZ
• • •
p.1 #10 · just screwed up...

A4 print single-page should be fine, if your focus is accurate. But if they want to span the photo to two A4 pages, then the problem will be visible to average people.

Jun 29, 2012 at 04:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · just screwed up...

They'll be fine for the "intended use", but expect you'll have to upscale with some good software if they decide to use an image for something else.

Jun 29, 2012 at 06:32 PM
M. Magallon
• •
p.1 #12 · just screwed up...

Genuine Fractals (Perfect Resize or whatever they call it).

Import into this program, uprez, and export as TIFF and you should be able to increase the file size considerably. It gets pretty hairy if you're doing more than 2X resolution though and they want a ton of detail. If you're photo is super-sharp you can get away with it, but the IQ starts to degrade nonetheless.

Jun 29, 2012 at 06:48 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · just screwed up...

I would re-shoot or at least bring up the issue. If they
were my clients I can guarantee they would be on the phone seconds after the printer would not guarantee the job due to lower than wanted file size. Hard to get out of that position unless you are upfront to begin with.

Jun 30, 2012 at 08:31 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #14 · just screwed up...

Mark_L wrote:
I have done similar things with camera settings I don't change often at all, since it's not something I ever really change I never really check it. I should be more disciplined in resetting everything to a standard setting before the camera goes in the bag.

Yeah upresing seems to swing in roundabouts, do you print a 180dpi or upres to 300dpi in software?

180 - 200.

Jul 01, 2012 at 10:56 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #15 · just screwed up...

As an aside… I read some of the other replies and many bring up the idea that you are at a "low res". I would remind everyone that when I started using Digital, this was the "normal" size of a file. 1.2mp was the starting point as I recall.

When Canon came along with the D30 at 3mp!, everyone said things like finally, the ultimate resolution… how could anyone want more than this?

Haha, and now here we are asking if we can get away with our images at 1920px for an A4.

You will probably be totally fine.

Jul 01, 2012 at 11:01 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · just screwed up...

Someone did make a valid point of a printer denying the job if it does not meet spec. Those specs can be 300ppi in a lot of cases. A re-shoot might be the smartest choice here.

Jul 01, 2012 at 11:31 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · just screwed up...

I would look at it like this:

situation a: client is given disappointing images
situation b: client is told to reshoot but then given excellent images

Which is likely to affect your reputation most negatively?

Jul 02, 2012 at 01:46 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · just screwed up...

Dunno if Canon added this to the 5D3 or not but this is one area where I think Nikon knocked it out of the park... you can save your camera's configuration to your card. I have two CF and SD cards that I use exclusively to store my "master configurations" ... one is my WEDDING CONFIG and one is my PERSONAL CONFIG ... just pop the card in, click LOAD SETTINGS and the camera is returned to exactly they way I like it.

Honestly use the "PERSONAL SETTINGS" infrequently... for a time I couldn't ever remember how to get the camera off back button focusing and my wife and people I'd had the camera to would end up with OOF shots.. so I made the personal card with the BBF disabled :P

Oh and you don't HAVE to have cards exclusively for this purpose... but I had a 1GB SD and a 512MB CF... certainly not going to use those for photos with 12 or 36mp cameras

Jul 02, 2012 at 01:55 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · just screwed up...

Alessandro you could just tell people hit this button for focus, you know...

Jul 02, 2012 at 04:20 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · just screwed up...

TTLKurtis wrote:
Alessandro you could just tell people hit this button for focus, you know...

Spoken like someone who has NEVER handed a DSLR to someone and asked them to take your picture :P

Jul 02, 2012 at 06:02 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password