Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

p.1 #1 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

Having had CS6 released for a short time now, what is your opinion on CS5 vs. CS6?

Jun 29, 2012 at 01:26 PM
Tete
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

funny i was going to ask the same question. I guess I'll sit and wait.

Jun 29, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

A big factor for me - not being much of a Ps user - was that if I waited too long (CS7) then I probably would not be able to buy an upgrade from CS5, and if I wasn't going to wait that long then I might as well buy the upgrade now. I still haven't had a decent chance to get to use it.

Jun 29, 2012 at 02:05 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #4 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

There's a 30-day fully-functional demo, so why don't you download it and make an informed decision?

I did so, and decided that the improved handling of highlights and shadows in the new ACR was by itself worth the upgrade cost.

John

Jun 29, 2012 at 03:51 PM

p.1 #5 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

Thanks. I know about the 30 day trial. I am just inquiring about the percentile of satisfied or not satisfied users in the photo community.

Jun 29, 2012 at 04:07 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

allynb wrote:
Having had CS6 released for a short time now, what is your opinion on CS5 vs. CS6?

The new ACR is MUCH better. The controls for highlights, shadows, etc. all work closer to how one had always dreamed such control might work.

Jun 29, 2012 at 07:27 PM
brockwhittaker
• • •
p.1 #7 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

What skibum5 said is basically my opinion. However, one life saving feature for me is auto-save. I have been unfortunate enough to get struck by outages enough that I could lose 3-5 open documents.

Jun 29, 2012 at 07:37 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #8 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

allynb wrote:
Thanks. I know about the 30 day trial. I am just inquiring about the percentile of satisfied or not satisfied users in the photo community.

I've been very satisfied and I think the upgrade was worthwhile, although I paid more that I thought I should. I was misled about the upgrade path and went from 4 to 5.5 just before (but longer than 30 days) 6 was released. Adobe led me to believe I would get "a very good price" on the upgrade. I also believed I couldn't go from 4 to 6. Wrong on both counts. I ended up doing the 5.5 upgrade for nothing.

Putting the money gripe aside, I really like it and feel the upgrade was worthwhile, even from 5.5.

Jun 29, 2012 at 07:43 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #9 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

There are too many bugs in CS6 wait for an update or two. While ACR 7 is a very good improvement as is the Video Timeline and the easy to use basic video editing features. Adobe did not fix the reported bugs in the Action player introduced in CS4 reported in CS5. Additionally Adobe added a new bug into the Action Player and one into the Action recorded. Additionally if you use a PC and like to edit in floating windows and set your preferences not to use tabs Scripts and Action that switch between document are likely to fail like Adobe own Export layers to files. I find CS6 unusable as is.

There is also a conflict between the new option to allow tool recording and the scriptlistener plug-in. The instrumentation of allow tool recording varies between machines. Fast machine records vast amount of data so when actions recorded on fast machine are played on slower machine the take forever to run rendering them useless.

The development of the new features content aware move was a waste of Adobe's programming resources. I would rate it on par with Adobe Photoshop Extract Plug-in which thankfully they removed from Photoshop.

Edited on Jun 29, 2012 at 08:46 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:36 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

skibum5 wrote:
The new ACR is MUCH better. The controls for highlights, shadows, etc. all work closer to how one had always dreamed such control might work.

I Agree..BUT if you buy LR4 - then that might be compelling to upgrade to CS6 from CS5. I upgraded to LR4 and don't see a need or reason to upgrade to CS6.

Just to clarify I have CS5 and LR4

Edited on Jun 29, 2012 at 09:02 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #11 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

drew.bowser wrote:
I Agree..BUT if you buy LR4 - then that might not be compelling to upgrade to CS6 from CS5. I upgraded to LR4 and don't see a need or reason to upgrade to CS6.

One reason might be the ability to open RAW files in Photoshop as smart object layers from LR. Photoshop has a feature that lets to edit multiple raw conversions in Photoshop and blend then together. The way you do this is to open a RAW file in Photoshop as a smart object layer. Then use menu Layers>Smart Objects>New Smart Object via Copy. This will create a second independent Smart Object Layer for the same RAW file. Double Clicking on the second layer in the layers palette smart object object icon will open ACR on the independent embedded RAW file however there will most likely be a compatibility issue when you have LR 4 and C5. For LR 4 uses the Adove RAW conversion engine 7 with the 2012 process where CS5 uses the Adobe RAW conversion engine 6 with the 2010 process. LR 4 setting would most likely not be compatible for the will be for the 2012 process.

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:02 PM
drew.bowser
• • •
p.1 #12 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

Mr Mouse wrote:
One reason might be the ability to open RAW files in Photoshop as smart object layers from LR. Photoshop has a feature that lets to edit multiple raw conversions in Photoshop and blend then together. The way you do this is to open a RAW file in Photoshop as a smart object layer. Then use menu Layers>Smart Objects>New Smart Object via Copy. This will create a second independent Smart Object Layer for the same RAW file. Double Clicking on the second layer in the layers palette smart object object icon will open ACR on the independent embedded RAW file
...Show more

Cant you edit what you need in LR and shoot it to photoshop as an uncompressed tiff or DNG?

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:03 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #13 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

CS6 runs faster for me it seems, aside from that i dont feel that the new features justify upgrading. Photoshop does many many things lightrooms can't, the two are complementary.

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:08 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

I've been using the CS6 demo for a while, and have since purchased both LR4 and the CS6. Since I loaded LR4 and have started to learn it ... I haven't even bothered yet to reinstall CS6. With LR4, my useage of PS has dropped off dramatically.

There are some things that I like better @ CS6 than previous versions ... but since I haven't used it much in the last month ... I've kinda forgotten what they were.

I had a shot at student pricing, so I got both and am finding the way that LR4 is working with sharpening & noise sliders in concert with each other to be preferrable to the single step approach @ PS. Kinda wishing I'd have only purchased LR4 ... but it'll be nice to have CS6 for the long haul (likely being my last PS upgrade) and just upgrading LR5, etc. as time goes on.

If you're on CS5 and $$$ is a concern ... I'd put it in LR4 before upgrading from CS5 to CS6.

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #15 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

drew.bowser wrote:
Cant you edit what you need in LR and shoot it to photoshop as an uncompressed tiff or DNG?

Yes you can use tiff. You just can't do RAW versions using smart objects if the RAW(DNG) conversion was done via LR develop module.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Bobster2
• • • •
p.1 #16 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

Adobe made my choice easier by not making Lightroom 4 compatible with Windows XP. So CS6 was my only way to get the new Raw features, and although I can still use Lightroom 3, Bridge combined with the new ACR makes it feel almost redundant and obsolete.

Jun 30, 2012 at 10:43 AM
M. Magallon
• •
p.1 #17 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

Bobster2 wrote:
Adobe made my choice easier by not making Lightroom 4 compatible with Windows XP. So CS6 was my only way to get the new Raw features, and although I can still use Lightroom 3, Bridge combined with the new ACR makes it feel almost redundant and obsolete.

Windows XP? Really I figure you have pretty decent hardware to be running CS6, so why don't you just get Windows 7? Windows XP is an 11 year old operating system. That might as well be 11 lifetimes in the tech world. Win 7 is leagues better than Vista and Windows 8 is just around the corner.

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:22 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #18 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

If you have LR4 I personally don't think you need CS6 as LR4 gets me 90-99% of the way

Jun 30, 2012 at 06:01 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #19 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

Just a heads up. I hadn't used the liquify tool since upgrading. It doesn't work in CS6, found out it is a known bug. I still have CS 5.5 loaded, just dropped down to there and had no problems.

I also have LR4 and agree that it is more than up to normal tasks. I use NIK filters and prefer to go to PS since they are applied in layers there.

Jun 30, 2012 at 06:43 PM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #20 · CS5 vs. CS6 - Worth the Upgrade?

After using CS6 for over a month now, I'd have to say that I'm completely underwhelmed. Far too much change for the sake of change in places that only serve to confuse long term users. Minor revisions of how tools are represented are not enough. Larger brushes and larger selections feathers are welcomed, but the new high speed Liquefy comes at a significant expense of accuracy and weird pixelation when zoomed - and zooming while in Liquefy is stilted at best. Since I don't use ACR or LR, the ACR improvements are of little interest but may be to some. You really have to wonder just what the hell they were thinking when they decided to spring the new Crop Tool with it's default behavior on us. Even after reverting as much as possible legacy mode, it's still much slower doing production work than the previous versions. On the plus side, it feels like the memory leaks that plagued earlier versions, while not completely gone, have been slowed significantly.

Overall, I see some very minor improvements with too much emphasis on non-functional changes in interface, but hardly enough to qualify for a full numerical upgrade. It is better than CS4, which for Mac users, was a complete waste, as we had to wait a full version for 64 bit, but this version is close.

As I keep using it, I NEVER find myself discovering new features and saying "this is cool." No, it's more like, "why did they do THAT?" So far, the ONLY new feature that I consistently come back to is the larger brushes, which are great when working on very large scans, which I do a lot of.

Jun 30, 2012 at 06:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password