Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Help with the Business Name

IndigoNyx

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help with the Business Name

Hey folks

Thanks a bunch for your comments and critiques on our first wedding shoot

We are now in the process of registering a business because we hear thats a smarter thing to do, considering there could be liability issues etc ..

So after some heavy thinking, we have two favorites:

PhotoSutras.com - Sutra literally means a thread that binds. So I am thinkin of a tag line that will say "tying your memories together" or somethin like that.

PhotoPundits.com - Pandit with an A is an Indian word for a learned one .. And in the West, Pundits, with a U is a word for an expert but usually used in a political context. But they are essentially the same word.

We are an Indian couple and a lot of our work has a very colorful, spiritual kinda undertone to it..
Having said that, my target clients are not South Asians alone.

Also, I am essentially a documentary and music photographer. Shooting weddings are the means to an end. And i wish to keep my other work (www.ashimayadava.com) separate from my wedding work. And hence, the need for a different identity.

So please vote and help us pick a name asap.

Edited on Jun 28, 2012 at 09:47 PM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2012 at 09:22 PM
jneilosu
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help with the Business Name

I don't recommend either of those. I only recommend straying away from your names if you can come up with something elegant or otherwise wedding appropriate.

These come off a bit cheesy and I fear you'll regret them in the future.

If you feel your work is spiritual, maybe go that route somehow.

Jun 28, 2012 at 09:25 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help with the Business Name

What's wrong with your name?

Jun 28, 2012 at 09:27 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help with the Business Name

There's not going to be any seperating PhotoSutra from Kama Sutra... no matter what you say, that's what people are going to think of. And Pundits... same problem. When it comes to marketing, people get an instantaneous impression that is going to be virtually impossible to change if you have to explain to them what it means somehow. I honestly wouldn't do either of those.

Is there something a little less known, more Indian, more spiritual, more vague, that you can think of?
I would just go with your given names unless there's some glaring reason not to.

Jun 28, 2012 at 09:36 PM
IndigoNyx

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help with the Business Name

amonline wrote:
What's wrong with your name?

I am essentially a documentary and music photographer. Shooting weddings are the means to an end. And i wish to keep my other work (www.ashimayadava.com) separate from my wedding work. And hence, the need for a different identity.

Jun 28, 2012 at 09:52 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help with the Business Name

I understand the desire to separate your business, but in terms of the two names you put forward, I think ckhagen hit the nail on the head. For those of us who aren't south Asians you choices are really going to have different meanings to us, and not such great ones.

Andrew

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:43 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help with the Business Name

Ashima Weddings

ashimaweddings.com

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:46 PM
MarcAnthony
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help with the Business Name

Why not use your FM username? I think that has a cool ring to it. IndigoNyx Photography. Sounds pretty f-ing awesome.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help with the Business Name

canerino wrote:
Ashima Weddings

ashimaweddings.com

I think we have a winner.

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM
IndigoNyx

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help with the Business Name

Ashimawedding wont work. I need something that suggests its about photography. Not selling my name you know

Jun 29, 2012 at 06:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help with the Business Name

Um ... Most of us use our name followed by photography. It's not that complicated. Nobody cares except you.

But yeah those are both awful. May as well register sexandpolitics.com for the best of both worlds.

Jun 29, 2012 at 06:50 AM
IndigoNyx

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help with the Business Name

TTLKurtis wrote:
Um ... Most of us use our name followed by photography. It's not that complicated. Nobody cares except you.

But yeah those are both awful. May as well register sexandpolitics.com for the best of both worlds.

Ha ha.. Wow! Like you said, "nobody cares except you" ... And I really like those names esp Sutra.

Jun 29, 2012 at 07:00 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Help with the Business Name

photopundits = are you a political news photographer? (please no)

photosutras = are you trying to limit your market?

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:45 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Help with the Business Name

Guess there's a severe language barrier here.

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:53 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Help with the Business Name

IndigoNyx wrote:
Not selling my name you know

i disagree

Jun 29, 2012 at 01:07 PM
larhouser
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Help with the Business Name

Totally disagree re using your name. And I think you've come to the same conclusion re: your other photog biz. Theres nothing in http://www.ashimayadava.com/ that says "photographer" yet people hiring you from there know thats what you offer right? Same thing with the wedding world.

First thing I thought of when I saw photosutras was sutra in the buddist teaching sense. Which isn't bad but I'm afraid the lads are right that most americans only connection to the word sutra is those few chapters out of the famous book. Sad but true. If you're only marking to south asian folks then its surely less of a concern.

Hate the word pundit. To me it doesn't confer expert but instead professional opinion-ator.

Jun 29, 2012 at 02:02 PM
IndigoNyx

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Help with the Business Name

My apologies guys. I dont mean "not selling my name" in that sense. I meant I really want to separate the rest of my work from wedding photography. Plus, I shoot with my husband so it wont be fair to him either IMO.

Its funny how everyone on FredMiranda has shot these down, but ALL my American/non Indian friends love Photosutra.

... and the search continues ... Sigh!

Jun 29, 2012 at 06:20 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Help with the Business Name

IndigoNyx wrote:
I shoot with my husband so it wont be fair to him

That's true. If you have more than one primary photographer at The Company ... two, three, four primaries ...

Jun 29, 2012 at 06:43 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Help with the Business Name

Well, then...

Yadava Weddings

yadavaweddings.com

Or, just go with Photosutra. That's what you seem to want. If it is, then who cares what we think? I'm not sure it'll work well in the US, but it's what you want.

Jun 29, 2012 at 07:28 PM
IndigoNyx

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Help with the Business Name

Yadava is my last name :P

And I checked with you guys here because in some weird way, it matters...
I think I'll do some more deep thinking ..

Jun 29, 2012 at 07:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password