Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Applying new size to album in Indesign

jolahern
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Applying new size to album in Indesign

I've used Indesign to design the latest album, as it is going to be a GraphiStudio album I created document presets (page size, bleed, etc) for the various album sizes using the GraphiStudio guidelines. However I've hit a snag, when I originally started designing the album the bride wanted it to be a 35x35cm album, however she has changed her mind and is now going to go for a 25x25cm album.
Can I upload pages that are sized for 35x35 when the album is going to be a 25x25cm, or does it not matter to GraphiStudio, personally I would prefer to resize it first to make sure everything is okay with regards to bleed and safety margin on photos.

Is there any easy way to go about changing the album size before I upload the pages to GraphiStudio, for example can I apply the preset I have for a 25x25cm album to the existing 35x35cm design, and if I do will photo sizes remain the same and I will have to resize everything, if the latter is going to happen is there anyway to use the new liquid layout feature in CS6?

The other way out of it I was thinking, was to output the pages and then load then into Graphi's own software, but I hope there is cleverer way to this?

Any advise is appreciated, except for pursuing the bride to change her mind, afraid there is a good reason for her doing this.

John

Jun 28, 2012 at 08:32 PM
TAGfan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Applying new size to album in Indesign

Depends on the album producer. Some don't care if you send them larger sized files as long as the aspect ratio is the same.

You can change the document sizes in the setup, but every time I do that it resizes the images on the pages unevenly, so you will need to re-work every page. I have to think there is a better way to do it though --

Jun 28, 2012 at 08:42 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Applying new size to album in Indesign

Either open the spreads in photoshop and resample them smaller, or load them all into lightroom or aperture and export them smaller, or just send them as is...it wont matter....instead of printing 300 dpi, they'll print roughly 400dpi, if the printer goes that high, and if not the RIP (raster image processor) will throw out the pixels it doesnt need....

I'm not sure you'll have a problem with bleeds...typically if you leave a 3/8" - 1/2" safety/bleed area around the edge you should be more than fine, even going to a smaller album...typical bleed/trim in reality is only like 5mm at the most...i do 3/8" on 8x8 albums and 1/2" on 10x10 and 12x12...

Jun 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Applying new size to album in Indesign

When designing an album for a given ratio, you're best off designing it for the biggest you offer in case they decide to upgrade. You can always downscale from there.

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jolahern
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Applying new size to album in Indesign

I did a quick test using the the new liquid layout feature and then changed the page size, bleed, margin and gutter, this had to be done in two parts, rather than just apply a document preset as if you were starting from stratch.
From this first quick and dirty attempt it seemed to work okay, although a few of the pages were just outside the safety margin compared to before when they were inside. Might take a bit of playing around with the liquid setting to get it exactly right.

Did not think of just bringing it into Lightroom (could also do some proofing and output sharpening as well), will give that a go and see how that works compared with doing the resizing in Indesign.

Jun 29, 2012 at 08:26 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Applying new size to album in Indesign

I know this wasn't your question, but indesign isn't really a dedicated album production system. Just wanted to throw photojunction into the mix - might give you some new options like this?

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:15 AM
jolahern
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Applying new size to album in Indesign

Thanks for the input Phil, I tried Photojunction in the past, very good piece of software, but for some reason I can't put my finger on, I did not really click with it, found Indesign just seem to work a bit better, it is like Lightroom and Aperture, I just seem to work better and quicker with Lightroom, while Aperture feel arkward, even though there are features in the software I really like.

John

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:17 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Applying new size to album in Indesign

Fair play At least you gave it a go...

Good luck!

Jun 29, 2012 at 03:20 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password