Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR vs. Other mid-range ...

gabrielgartner

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR vs. Other mid-range zooms for DX

Hi All,

I am about to pull the trigger on this lens, but I am curious about other options in this range that will work well on a DX camera. I am replacing my old trusty 18-70mm lens (from the d70 days) and am seriously considering this new lens (for a d300s).

I travel a lot and want a very portable, inconspicuous lens for city-scapes and portraits of folks around the world. I will eventually move to FX so I am hesitant to by any more DX lenses (thus no 17-55 f/2.8).

Any other suggestions for a good mid-range walk around under $1000 (I am also considering the 24-120 f/4, but that's obviously at the high end of my price range). I currently also bring a 12-24, 70-300 and 105 f/2.8 when traveling so it's that 24-70 range I'm really looking to nail.

The pros for this lens are
Size/Weight
VR
Price

Cons
Untested
Build (at least compared to something like the 17-55).
Loss of wide end on DX bodies
Variable aperture, not very fast

Thanks and Cheers,
Gabriel

Jun 28, 2012 at 03:11 PM
mkonik
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR vs. Other mid-range zooms for DX

I'm interested in this lens as well as the older version that is f/2.8-4, be curious to see what people say about it. I don't think it is widely shipping in the USA until tomorrow though some samples appear to be out there. I've been using the old 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 which offers a macro option with pretty good success on the D300 and D700 but I have some mixed results using it on the D800 over the past few months. I only use this lens when I travel but the distortion is easy to correct for architecture and the macro is pretty useful. I wish the 24-120 was a better lens but frankly it is overpriced for the quality that it delivers.
best,
marc

Jun 28, 2012 at 03:37 PM
ryankarr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR vs. Other mid-range zooms for DX

Buying a 17-55mm 2.8 used is a good idea. Buy used and sell when you move to FX, it shouldn't depreciate at all and you'll only have paid for shipping. It's a great lens.

Jun 28, 2012 at 05:22 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR vs. Other mid-range zooms for DX

The Tamron 28-75 also works very well in the range at a much lower price, and is a constant f2.8. The lens also stays sharp over its entire range though f2.8 is soft at the wide end and gets better at the long end.

THe Nikon 24-85 f2.8-4 is also very nice, at a slightly higher price. It seems this one is better at the wide end. It dropws off a wee bit at 85, but still is very good. Photozone shows the 3.5 to 4.5 as better at the long end, while the wide end is not as good. Of course, they carry the higher Nikon price tag.

I have no info on the VR model. YOu could pre order it and give us a report?

Jun 28, 2012 at 05:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password