Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

fidelfs

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

Hi,

I full profoto equipment, and I bought a ringflash locally. I had so many problems with the ringflash technically and logistic with the local company.

I cannot go online and have same issues with the ringlfash, because then I will have to pay for UPS, time, etc.
I also read, that my problem has happen in the past and keeps happening with the ringflash, so it is better to look at other brands.

I want one not for macros, I want one that I can use for fashion, models, etc.

What other good brand?

Jun 27, 2012 at 06:54 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #2 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

Do you want a self-contained unit or a flash head for a pack-n-head system?

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Jun 27, 2012 at 09:43 PM
fidelfs

p.1 #3 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

I would love a self contained, but I know (I think I know) there is big difference between them and the packs.

I would love something similar like the profoto.

I wish you guys were closer to me, I would buy the profoto again from BH, customer service is unique. but sendiing to NY back and forth it will kill me.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:13 PM
fidelfs

p.1 #4 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

I am not saying I won't buy from BH, I am a customer, I am talking if I get a profoto ringflash and start misfiring again.

There are people with the same problem with the acute.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:14 PM
nategigapixel
• •
p.1 #5 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

If you use profoto, then you will need the profoto ring flash, either the acute or pro, whatever packs you use. If paying for UPS, and spending much time is also a problem, then Broncolor and Hensel are probably out of your budget and will take time to order the corresponding packs, research, etc. Alien Bees sells a ring flash that is inexpensive.

Jun 29, 2012 at 06:04 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #6 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

If you're in a big city, then just rent when needed. A ringflash is probably the most rarely used light amongst photographers, so it's not a must-have piece of gear.

Jun 29, 2012 at 01:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fidelfs

p.1 #7 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

Well, it depends the look you are trying to get.

Some photographers use it all the time. I am planning to be trying new things all the time with the ringflash. It opens big opportunities for different looks.

I know is not for everyone. I just had a couple of shoots, and I am not by any means an expert on ringflash, but I loved the look that provides.

For example I like how this picture look:
http://www.kern-photo.com/index.php/2010/02/on-axis-fill-with-ring-flash/

I also love the art from Jill Greenberg, she uses ringflash in most of her pictures: http://www.jillgreenberg.com/

I have friends that they hate the look, but I like it.

Jun 29, 2012 at 05:36 PM
nategigapixel
• •
p.1 #8 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

fidelfs wrote:
Well, it depends the look you are trying to get.

Some photographers use it all the time. I am planning to be trying new things all the time with the ringflash. It opens big opportunities for different looks.

I know is not for everyone. I just had a couple of shoots, and I am not by any means an expert on ringflash, but I loved the look that provides.

For example I like how this picture look:
http://www.kern-photo.com/index.php/2010/02/on-axis-fill-with-ring-flash/

I also love the art from Jill Greenberg, she uses ringflash in most of her pictures: http://www.jillgreenberg.com/

I have friends that they hate the look, but I like
...Show more

If you really want to explore the ringflash to it's fully potential, again I recommend you try profoto. Even though you got a bunk ring flash, that is not indicative of their ring flashes, I have the profoto pro ring flash and it has worked great. If you ring flash is firing intermittently, check that the pins aren't pushed in on the cord, it could also be a short inside the ring flash. Lastly, make sure the model profoto ring flash you are using is compatible with the power packs you are using, there have been several different models of profoto ring flashes over the years.

Jun 29, 2012 at 09:17 PM
fidelfs

p.1 #9 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

I return the old ringflash and got a new one from Amazon. It is working as it was suppose to be.

It is a beauty!!!

Jun 30, 2012 at 01:29 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

Alien Bees ABR800.

Jul 02, 2012 at 05:33 PM
ethompson53

p.1 #11 · Is there another good brand for ringflash besides profoto?

I've had a Profoto ringlight for about 15 years. It's been adapted to for use with my Speedotron Blackline power supplies. No problems after a lot of use. If your looking for an alternative to Profoto, look at Hensel or Dynalite.

Jul 05, 2012 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password