Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Website & Branding Feedback

wer2012

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Website & Branding Feedback

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post on FM. I have been reading all of the posts and really appreciate all of the great advice people have been giving. I just started out full time this year although I have been working for a few years with other photographers and some on my own.

I would like to know if anyone could offer some insight into my branding and general feel of the site? Any help would be appreciated! www.werthphotography.com

Also, if this is not an appropriate way to link please let me know. I would hate to upset anyone!

Jun 26, 2012 at 02:06 PM
ghdarnell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Website & Branding Feedback

I am the last person who should be giving feedback on branding or websites, but I really liked it, especially the colors. The only thing I would change for me personally is to have a slideshow of different clients on the front page instead of what looks like a blog posting I have to scroll down through of the same wedding.

But still, I loved it

Jun 26, 2012 at 02:21 PM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Website & Branding Feedback

It feels like a cookie cutter site.

The backdrop/wallpaper is a bit overwhelming as a color. I know its your brand color, but I think your brand would pop more without, or with less of that going on.

Flows well, but has nothing to make it special (much like my own I dare say ).

Jun 26, 2012 at 02:25 PM
wer2012

p.1 #4 · Website & Branding Feedback

Thank you, I agree there isn't anything too special about it. That is where I am kinda feeling like I am not doing a good enough job with the branding aspect. I used to have a slideshow on the homepage, I may go back.

Any advice as to what the site conveys? I guess I feel like it isn't selling, its just showing work.

Jun 26, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Website & Branding Feedback

Nice images, i really like that first image.

The front page of the site looks like a blog. I would try to keep pages so they fit a 17 inch monitor without scrolling. If you do decide to keep it scrollable make the background static as per the blog.

I would ditch the thumbnails under the galleries. Reduce the size of the logo, get rid of The Knot badge and reduce the social media tabs to facebook and twitter only.

I'm not sure you need to tell people to check the info to get prices. I think they would figure that.

The color of the links draw attention from your logo. Perhaps switch it so the links are black but the active link blue.

As for the front page make it one of the gallery pages. Don't have a single extra page that has no purpose. Assuming clients are there to check out weddings get them there in the least amount of clicks.

I don't think it is bad but it does need to be tightened up.

Just my opinion, for what it's werth

Jun 26, 2012 at 05:17 PM
wer2012

p.1 #6 · Website & Branding Feedback

Thanks Marcus, very good info. I like the idea of ditching the "home" page and just making that the wedding gallery. Do you think that our brand is coming off ok? I am really not sure how to ask this. Also for what it's werth is too easy!

Jun 26, 2012 at 05:32 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Website & Branding Feedback

I know the site is not prophoto but it does have that look. In terms of branding if i see something related to your business and it brings up connections in my mind to other parts of your business then you have a brand.

So if i see your name and your logo or site or an experience i had with you (or tow or more) and the corresponding feelings and opinions that go with each of those then you are branded in my mind.

So if i visit your site and the first thing i think of when i see it is prophoto then who has the first branding impact? Prophoto does. Even clients who do not know prophoto by name may well be familiar with their product simply by looking at photographers.

So if for example you were able to make your links run vertically on the right of the header and your logo reduced to the left of that rather than underneath already your header is looking different to most. Not saying you should do that but to illustrate my point. Little things to get away from the look being too familiar. The white space behind the images, can that be dark gray or black instead of white, again just to make the point.

A good business is not just branding. I know photographers with dreadful web sites with shots that look like they were taken in the 70's and yet they make good money but if branding is the goal then that is just something to consider.

Something else just to consider. Sometimes when an artist goes to a custom framer they pull out matts that have similar colors to the picture being framed. They will tell you that it is picking up the color in the picture. The truth is it competes with it for attention. Matts in a frame that are simple in color such as white or gray or black will make an image stand out more.

So when i see your site i see the blue as competing against to color in your logo. Perhaps try that background in grayscale or simply have a solid color.

Add an about page with a pic of your wife and yourself. Better yet If you get time make a 30 second intro video on your phone to welcome people to your site and make that your front page. That will impact your branding as far as your site goes more than everything else.

Consider having your links in uppercase too.

I really don't think it is too bad so just throwing that out there.

Jun 26, 2012 at 06:23 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Website & Branding Feedback

wer2012 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post on FM. I have been reading all of the posts and really appreciate all of the great advice ...
if this is not an appropriate way to link please let me know. I would hate to upset anyone!

The LovelyWeddingGuy could take a few pointers from you in making proper introductions.

Jun 26, 2012 at 06:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Website & Branding Feedback

On your info page I have to scroll back-and-forth right to left to read the text. The right side of my screen cuts off immediately after the word "moments" in the second sentence.

Jun 26, 2012 at 06:38 PM
wer2012

p.1 #10 · Website & Branding Feedback

Hi - I am not sure why it would be cutting off the text? What browser are you using?

Jun 26, 2012 at 06:55 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Website & Branding Feedback

wer2012 wrote:
What browser are you using?

Internet Explorer 8.

Jun 26, 2012 at 07:15 PM
wer2012

p.1 #12 · Website & Branding Feedback

It looks good in IE9 - I am not sure what the problem is. Are you somehow zoomed in? Perhaps ctrl 0 your browser?

Jun 26, 2012 at 07:27 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Website & Branding Feedback

wer2012 wrote:
Are you somehow zoomed in? Perhaps ctrl 0 your browser?

Ahhh, ctrl 0 took care of it. I was zoomed in.

Jun 26, 2012 at 07:53 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Website & Branding Feedback

first I want to say "Welcome!"

I just took a quick peek at your site, the one thing that is bothering me right away is how your text on your pages separates from the capital to the lower case letters as I am looking at your info page, it's sort of annoying and doesn't look professional (just my opinion) I noticed anything that is all capitals or with numbers is all spread out too, it just doesn't look right for some reason.

Jun 27, 2012 at 05:54 PM
wer2012

p.1 #15 · Website & Branding Feedback

Hi Sheri,
I have been working on the info page this morning - Check it out now and let me know what you think. Also what browser are you using.

Thank you for the info!

Jun 27, 2012 at 06:08 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password