Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or int...

tangfj

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

Want to see if anyone has experience with this bag as a +1 carry on bag for international or US domestic travel? I travel frequently and hate checking luggage so I need something that can act as my +1 carry on so that I can use another bag to pack clothes/etc. If anyone has had success traveling with the Loka + another rolling bag as a carry on bag I'd appreciate it!!!

Also, if you can let me know if it'll fit under a seat/etc that'd be great as well.

*edit* - I saw another thread on using the Loka as a carry on but what I want to know is if anyone has had trouble using it as a +1 bag in conjunction with a traditional 20-22inch roller bag.

*edit #2* changing title to reflect guru as well as loka

Edited on Jun 27, 2012 at 01:07 AM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2012 at 07:19 AM
fishjump
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

your not going to get the loka under the front seat, unless you have nothing in it.

I use it regularly as carry on, but in lieu of a roll-on. They are certainly stricter in Europe.

Jun 26, 2012 at 02:16 PM
tangfj

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

Thanks for the intel. When used as a carry on, is there room in the bag to pack a few days worth of clothes if you use a small ICU?

Jun 26, 2012 at 02:47 PM
GillR
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

It's under the max permitted size for most international airlines, though I would always say you should check on the airline's own website to be sure. And some international airlines, unless you're travelling Business or First, won't let you take on more than 1 carry-on, maybe 1 carry-on plus small handbag or laptop bag or personal item.

The other issue you may have to consider is weight restrictions. For example, Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy has generous size allowance for carry-on, but weight is limited to 6kg. And if my experiences are anything to go by, they WILL weigh your carry-on. (I was 0.1 Kg under the limit!)

Jun 26, 2012 at 06:05 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

I have traveled domestically and it easily fit overhead. I saw many carry ons much larger than my loka.
With a small icu you should have no problems putting a few days worth of clothes in it. That is assuming you are not large and traveling in the winter!
It should fit fine, just don't over stuff it! If it is on your back, it may appear larger than if you carry it by the hand strap. Appearances make a difference.

Jun 26, 2012 at 06:21 PM
tangfj

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

thanks guys, based off of information here I've decided on the guru with medium and small shallow icu's for flexibility and I'll try using that as a +1 carry on bag. The dimensions and fact that it can be made slim seem to make it in line with the size of a large laptop rolling bag or large laptop backpack, which I've gotten away with as a +1 bag on numerous occasions. Hopefully the guru is not too much bigger than any of my normal large laptop business cases.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

tangfj wrote:
thanks guys, based off of information here I've decided on the guru with medium and small shallow icu's for flexibility and I'll try using that as a +1 carry on bag. The dimensions and fact that it can be made slim seem to make it in line with the size of a large laptop rolling bag or large laptop backpack, which I've gotten away with as a +1 bag on numerous occasions. Hopefully the guru is not too much bigger than any of my normal large laptop business cases.

Just be ready to check in one of your bags if they don't allow the guru as your 2nd bag. Some airlines will allow it, others not. Personally, I hate it when I see a person trying to skirt the rules and bring along two bags and claim one is the carryon and the other is my 2nd "purse" bag. Just check in your clothes and carryon your camera gear.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:55 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

In my experience US airlines are far more lenient about carry ones. European airlines can be extremely strict, not only about the +1 (which technically should be purse/briefcase sized) but also about weight, especially if the flight is fairly full

Jun 27, 2012 at 01:41 AM
tangfj

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

So does anyone know if a Guru will fit under the seat in front of me on a flight if needed?

Jun 27, 2012 at 06:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

tangfj wrote:
So does anyone know if a Guru will fit under the seat in front of me on a flight if needed?

Not completely under (it's too long/tall), and only if not stuffed to the gills. You also need to be aware of all the extra boxes and stuff airlines place under the seats nowadays for video etc. may make the space too narrow, or way too short. I just put the Loka into the overhead compartment.

Jun 27, 2012 at 05:09 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

chez wrote:
Just be ready to check in one of your bags if they don't allow the guru as your 2nd bag. Some airlines will allow it, others not. Personally, I hate it when I see a person trying to skirt the rules and bring along two bags and claim one is the carryon and the other is my 2nd "purse" bag. Just check in your clothes and carryon your camera gear.

wouldn't be a problem if airline luggage service was (a) fairly priced instead of a rip off and (b) if the airlines could actually handle a bag without damaging it or the having it rifled.

J.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

JohnJ80 wrote:
wouldn't be a problem if airline luggage service was (a) fairly priced instead of a rip off and (b) if the airlines could actually handle a bag without damaging it or the having it rifled.

J.

i agree to a point. but it is the unfortunate reality that weight is weight and jet fuel is not cheap these days. flying is a business. it is frequent that pax come up with individual pieces of luggage in excess of 70lbs w/o batting an eyelash and it adds up rapidly.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

JohnJ80 wrote:

J.

That just the cost of flying...either pay up or stay home, but don't break the rules by bringing on board two large carryons. Pay the extra $25 for your luggage and bring onboard your gear. Everything travel related cost more these days, gas, food, accommodations etc...., just the cost of having fun.

Jul 29, 2012 at 01:09 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

I have no problem with paying the cost of flying. I do have problems with deceptive pricing and hidden fees - which is the big problem here. I also have problems with capricious gate agents that don't uniformly enforce the rules (even on the same flight).

J.

Jul 29, 2012 at 08:23 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

walk in their shoes for a few days. i wouldn't do it at 2x of my pay

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM
JohnJ80
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

For the money we spend on airline tickets, I don't think it unreasonable to be open about the prices they charge nor for policies to be enforced evenly. If I treated my customers the way airlines treat theirs, I wouldn't have any.

J.

Jul 30, 2012 at 03:41 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · F-Stop Loka or Guru as +1 carry on for US domestic or international travel?

there is always more then one side to every story.

Aug 02, 2012 at 01:43 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password