FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

http://www.photographybay.com/2012/06/23/5d-mark-iii-sd-card-speeds-are-slower-than-they-should-be/

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/06/24/dont-use-sd-cards-with-your-canon-5d-mark-iii-if-you-care-about-speed/

Jun 25, 2012 at 08:52 PM
broken-taco

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

I've shot several weddings with the Mark III recording raw to both cards and have yet to hit the buffer. I would think it shouldn't be a problem for most wedding shooters.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

one of my bodies actually just slowed down... it's weird. 1 mk3 has no problem with the buffer, the other one
is taking like 3x as long to write. same cards in both (sandisk cf and sd)

time to bring it to canon

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:53 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

Rob Gailbraith has reported on this already, old news. However, I'm using a 45mb/s SD card and I don't see a hit in the buffer vs RAW only (30mb/s CF).

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:59 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

Yes - this was known as the camera was released. It worried me but the canon rep showed me that, in reality, it's not going to cause me any issues. I'm glad to say that it hasn't.

I still think it was a silly move from Canons perspective. Really penny pinching...

Jun 26, 2012 at 04:14 AM
anthonyket
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

Just on Sunday i shot a wedding with a CF 16gb Extreme III thats rated at 30mbs and a 32gb SD Extreme rated at 45mbs and hit no buffer.

Jun 26, 2012 at 05:58 AM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

My testing.... as is outlined here.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1126271

says that what format you're writing to each card plays just as big as a role as what cards you're using.

Jun 26, 2012 at 06:54 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

What's a buffer and how do I know when I've hit it? Does it hurt? Will my camera die or something?

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:26 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

Old news indeed. I never find it an issue for the things I shoot anyway.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

@Richardlavigne

Thanks for doing the tests, I'm extremely confused by two of your results though:

"RAW/RAW with a Sandisk Extreme CF (60 MB/S) and Sandisk Ultra SD (30 MB/S) I was able to get 11 shots before hitting the buffer"

"RAW/RAW with a Sandisk Ultra CF (30 MB/S) and Sandisk Ultra SD (30 MB/S) I was able to get 15 shots before hitting the buffer"

Why would shooting with the same slow SD card but a SLOWER CF card make it take longer to hit the buffer? How does that make sense?

Jun 26, 2012 at 01:11 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

Jon-Mark wrote:
@Richardlavigne

Thanks for doing the tests, I'm extremely confused by two of your results though:

"RAW/RAW with a Sandisk Extreme CF (60 MB/S) and Sandisk Ultra SD (30 MB/S) I was able to get 11 shots before hitting the buffer"

"RAW/RAW with a Sandisk Ultra CF (30 MB/S) and Sandisk Ultra SD (30 MB/S) I was able to get 15 shots before hitting the buffer"

Why would shooting with the same slow SD card but a SLOWER CF card make it take longer to hit the buffer? How does that make sense?

That is a good question.... it doesn't make sense to me either.

Jun 26, 2012 at 04:31 PM
DblDrgn
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5d III Slow SD Card write speeds - FYI

With regards to what's been said about the buffer, and the intended use of writing an entire wedding's RAW files to both cards, can anyone suggest the best combo of larger (32GB, 64GB) capacity CF / SD cards to buy at this point?

Aug 07, 2012 at 02:05 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.