New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · film cameras, any one?

AbramG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · film cameras, any one?

I remember seeing that on Flickr. CLASSY!
I've got an F3 coming in with a 50mm f/2-H should be here today actually.

Jul 07, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · film cameras, any one?

I love film.

I started with my grandpa's F2, that was handed down to my dad then to me.

After that I got myself a hasselblad 500 series with a 80mm lens. Then I got a 50mm. then I got a 150mm (I barely use the 150 though). I adore my MF system.

Then I got myself an upgrade from my D300 to a D800. Having the 800, I see little reason to shoot the MF system but only for long exposures, which I really enjoy doing. I like doing exposures into the hours and it's impossible with digital unless I go compositing and stuff I don't care about. Film, to me, is long exposure King.

My wife has a F100. It's a beautiful camera. I am shooting a wedding for a cousin and I am taking my D800 and my backup will be my wife's F100 with some Delta 400 and 3200.

In short, I love film

Jul 07, 2012 at 01:53 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · film cameras, any one?

Guari wrote:
I love film.

I started with my grandpa's F2, that was handed down to my dad then to me.

After that I got myself a hasselblad 500 series with a 80mm lens. Then I got a 50mm. then I got a 150mm (I barely use the 150 though). I adore my MF system.

Then I got myself an upgrade from my D300 to a D800. Having the 800, I see little reason to shoot the MF system but only for long exposures, which I really enjoy doing. I like doing exposures into the hours and it's impossible with digital unless
...Show more

Hey, I had an F2. Watch how you throw around the grandpa word.

Jul 07, 2012 at 06:53 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · film cameras, any one?

My new 1951 Rolleiflex came today, about 4 PM. By the time I opened it, read some instructions, figured the camera out, cleaned the mirror and focus screen, and loaded film, it was sunset. Was I intimated taking a totally new kind of camera out in the dark to shoot it for the first time? Nope. I'm a night shooter. I headed out to some small towns, hoping to find a few things that would catch my eye in a "square" way. It got dark before I came up with a shot. Just after I cleaned the camera, I got out my CyberSync flash triggers and plugged them into the Rollei and flipped the switch to "X". I hooked up a receiver to a Nikon SB-28 flash, opened the rear of the camera so I could look through the lens, and hit the shutter button. I saw the camera flash through the lens, meaning the sync worked!

After night fall, I noticed a BNSF train sitting in a siding, waiting to go north. So, I headed north ahead of it and set up three SB-28 flash, and then set up the Rolleiflex. None of this was really than using my Nikon DSLRs. Train came, I popped a shot, flash fired, and I popped a couple more as the tanker train went by. So, my very first shots from the Rollei will be night shots using flash of a moving train. Odds are good they'll come out OK. I'll shoot the rest of the roll tomorrow and then have it processed on Monday.

The Rollei was smaller than I thought it would be, and it's a very nice camera. I can feel its precision as I work it.

Kent in SD

Jul 08, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Guari
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · film cameras, any one?

chez wrote:
Hey, I had an F2. Watch how you throw around the grandpa word.

Lol, I'll be more "careful" from now on

The f2 is a lovely camera. Mine is in working order but could use a cla. I am a bit worried to send it to a local shop just in case they want to canlibalize it, and I'm not sure if nikon accepts such cameras still for cla's (and at what price)

Jul 08, 2012 at 02:51 AM
stompyq
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · film cameras, any one?

I have a pentax 6x7, Leica M4 and speedgraphic 4x5 in addition to my DSLR. I've been using the pentax almost 90% of the time the last few months. Haven't had so much fun in a long time. The Leica and speed just sit on my shelf gathering dust.

Jul 20, 2012 at 09:25 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · film cameras, any one?

It's forty plus yrs with camera in hand, didn't go digital until late 07; it's instant reward has allowed me to use my limited time shooting to really experiment, fail n succeed at a modest cost.

But, I still like the wait, the surprise of getting film back well after a shoot. There's also pushing myself to slow my shooting down. to a degree push harder to use/expand my built in live view, imagination, within the latitude of a given film, mostly Velvia.

An A-1, T90 and a slew of FD lenses and a pair of EOS3s with new glass are put into action often; less frequently these last two years. I still get the itch tho. In fact today was spent dusting off my lady's Olympus gear; an OM-1 and 2...just need to find some batteries

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:32 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · film cameras, any one?

I'll chime in here. I tried an RZ67 a few years back to reconnect with film.
Those big negatives are so sweet to look at.
I used it for about a year then got frustrated.
I was tethered to the digital & always comparing.
Fast forward to now & I have a RZ67 ProII again and I shoot it without bringing the DSLR gear.
I use a P&S for a back up light meter & loving the results.
As many others have said, it's about the experience & the slowing down of the process.
With digital, its so easy to become a frenetic shooter.
Now I do only one shot per composition and have no problem waiting for the roll.
I still shoot with my digital gear, but now I have slowed down the process and enjoy it more too.
I use a lot of primes & live view
So its had the desired effect & added a new dimension to my photography.

Dan

Aug 06, 2012 at 11:22 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · film cameras, any one?

Two23 wrote:
My new 1951 Rolleiflex came today, about 4 PM...

They are wonderful cameras. I'm about a year into Rollei ownership and love the square format and the quality of the lenses. It's also the one camera I own that's a conversation starter; people want to talk to me about it.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:42 AM
Betacamman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · film cameras, any one?

I had fun with an EOS-3 for a while. Costco developed and scanned negs for less than $4.50, and its two blocks from my house.

Aug 07, 2012 at 08:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.