Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Double exposures in wedding day context...

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Double exposures in wedding day context...

Ok so i wanted to kinda spin off another thread about double exposures, but more in the wedding context...for those of you who haven't seen the original thread, it's located here...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1124463

I think that Alessandro had the right idea, and like he demonstrated, you do a silhouette of the subjects, and then a properly exposed shot of whatever you want to fill in....

I've been playing around with double exposure mode on my D7000, and the thing is, you have to set it to "ON" before every shot, and i dont think you can shut the camera off between shots, and i'm sure that getting a shot like this in the context of a wedding day, say during the 30 or 45 minutes you sometimes have for portraits with the bride and groom, isn't very likely...the trial and error involved i feel would take too long, and you'd prob lose the interest of the bride and groom very quickly if you had to do the same process over again a couple more times....

with Engagement sessions, i think this could work very well though, as you generally have a little more time to do this kinda stuff....and it would further solidify the clients decision to hire you, when you nail the shot and show them right there on the back of the camera, have a good laugh, and they think you're a rockstar...

BUT, my question is, why not just take the silhouette, and take the normal shot, and then just align them later in post??....a couple layers, some opacity adjustments, blending modes, etc, i'm sure the same thing could be done.......i like the idea, but i feel you could work more efficiently by not trying to do this in camera... just surprise the client with the final composite upon delivery...i'm just not sure i'd try this in the context of a wedding till you KNOW you can nail the effect, first time, every time, blindfolded, in your sleep....dont get me wrong, i'll def try it...i just think there's more than one way to skin a cat....

just my $.02, let me know what you think...

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:32 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Double exposures in wedding day context...

I think you guys try too hard to flex your photographic muscles. That's what I think.

Jun 25, 2012 at 03:57 AM
Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Double exposures in wedding day context...

I think we should revive the "evil twin" double exposure portraits that were really big in the '70s...
That said, it probably would be a lot easier for most people to do it in post if they really want that effect...unless you're a level 9 photo-ninja and can pull this sort thing off without putting too much thought or effort into it.

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Double exposures in wedding day context...

Experiment during other shoots/engagement sessions etc. Perfect the method... then employ it during a wedding quickly.
Other than that I try not to weigh myself down doing to much heavy crap.
I find that real emotion trumps all fancy business pretty much 100% of the time.

Jun 25, 2012 at 06:02 AM
ShacharLee
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Double exposures in wedding day context...

if you do it in cam than it's a cool effect but if you do it in post than it's just cheesy Photoshop

don't know how it works in nikon but in the 5dIII you can either turn it on for one shot or for continues shooting so you don't have to set it again for every shot, also it doesn't have to be the last shot you took, you can choose any photo on the card to combine with the new photo you are going to take so you can just take a picture of the couple like you always do and than when or if you find a cool background you think would look nice combined with one of the photos you took earlier than combine them, it will save both photos anyway so no harm is done if it didn't work and you didn't waste the b&g time with any trial and errors.
I would probably experiment a bit at home before to see what works and whats not though.

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Double exposures in wedding day context...

with my D3 you can set it for just the following two shots, or to keep going with all subsequent pairs. if you do it in-camera you'll know you have it nailed (or not) by glancing at the LCD, and can even show the b+g on the back to impress them, but yeah, other than that, it would be a quick photoshop job, which is the only kind I do.

Jun 25, 2012 at 08:06 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password