New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Leica M Monochrome

airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M Monochrome

I just ordered one and a 35 1.4 summilux anybody else getting picking one up? I probably wont have it until late fall earliest.

Jun 24, 2012 at 02:42 PM
najibs
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M Monochrome

I'd be interested in seeing some shots side by side between this and an M9 in monochrome mode...

Jun 24, 2012 at 02:57 PM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M Monochrome

My bet is until 400 ISO there will be no difference. Above that, and mainly above 1250, a lot...

Jun 24, 2012 at 02:58 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M Monochrome

From what I've read and seen the monochrome has better dynamic range and the 6400 ISO stuff looks amazing.

Jun 24, 2012 at 03:22 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M Monochrome

Really amazing camera, sure to have a lot of haters but I'm happy to see companies like Leica and Fuji taking risks.

Jun 24, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M Monochrome

I was on top of the list coming from a M8 but canceled it. I bet its an awesome camera to have and use. But I could not justify its price over the M9p (in europe that is....) for my use since I would have needed an extra color body with it. So went for the m9p instead.

Looking forward on users experiences trough.

Jun 24, 2012 at 03:41 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M Monochrome

This will be for my personal work and almost everything I've been shooting in that regard has been B&W for the past few years. Its just the way I've been seeing lately. Was a no brainer for me. Pretty long waiting list though so it muct have struck a note.

Jun 24, 2012 at 04:17 PM
anscochrome
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M Monochrome

airfrogusmc wrote:
This will be for my personal work and almost everything I've been shooting in that regard has been B&W for the past few years. Its just the way I've been seeing lately. Was a no brainer for me. Pretty long waiting list though so it muct have struck a note.

I very sincerly hope Leica sells all they can make and then some of this product, because I want the concept to filter down to more affordable options. At this point, I could be perfectly happy with a 650D with a monochrome sensor;I would gladly "suffer" the much despised ergonomics of that unit for an affordable, monochrome only camera.

Jun 24, 2012 at 04:57 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M Monochrome

Theres a pretty long waiting list if thats any indication as to folks that want this type of camera. I was told earliest I would see it would be late fall and it could be next year.

Jun 25, 2012 at 07:12 AM
jotdeh
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica M Monochrome

anscochrome wrote:
I very sincerly hope Leica sells all they can make and then some of this product, because I want the concept to filter down to more affordable options. At this point, I could be perfectly happy with a 650D with a monochrome sensor;I would gladly "suffer" the much despised ergonomics of that unit for an affordable, monochrome only camera.

Don't get your hopes up too much - 3 years later there's still no compact FF alternative to the M9...

Jun 25, 2012 at 07:28 AM
rsrsrs
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica M Monochrome

if i had the €, i would not hesitate a second ...

Jun 25, 2012 at 07:44 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica M Monochrome

rsrsrs wrote:
if i had the €, i would not hesitate a second ...

+1

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:44 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica M Monochrome

Ed: what's wrong? Leica don't accept THB?

If I could afford one, correction, if I could justify buying and using one, I would. It is too expensive a camera for me to feel comfortable hauling around. Makes all my other cameras look cheap.

But I think it is cool and inspiring, I might be able to afford, correction - justify - buying a used one in a few years to come. By then I would be in the midst of my Cartier Bresson period so it would come naturally.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:49 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica M Monochrome

Hahaha, as a matter of fact, THB is one of Leica's most favorite currencies, judging from the number of users over here, probably only second to Japan

At the moment, I personally can only afford an M10. But the Monochrom would be next on the list

Jun 25, 2012 at 01:09 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica M Monochrome

Folks have no problem dropping the big $$$ for a 1DsMkIII or the big Nikon which are both about the same price as the M9 or monochrome. At least with Leica if you want to upgrade you get most of your money back.

Jun 25, 2012 at 04:18 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica M Monochrome

That was one justification I made when opting for a used M9 over another 1D body. As for the cost... you kind of have to just forget about the fact that a small bag with a camera and a few M lenses will have a retail value of $10,000-15,000. To me it's kind of like a new car... the sooner it gets a scratch, the sooner I can just use it and stop thinking about the futile effort to preserve a minty condition. And, insurance is a good idea.

Jun 25, 2012 at 07:04 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica M Monochrome

airfrogusmc wrote:
I just ordered one and a 35 1.4 summilux anybody else getting picking one up? I probably wont have it until late fall earliest.

My name is first on the list with a distributor in Perth, Australia. I am expecting late Aug/ early Sept. I am hoping it will spec out as per all the hype, and I will be trading in an older M9 body for it I must admit I am curious to see what Photokina will bring, but rumour is that there may be production delays with the M10. So the M-M will my backup, or front runner for the late night street shots!

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica M Monochrome

Congrats!!!

Nothin like a Leica...

I shot with blads for a couple decades and have shot with older M's. I have a very good buddy that has a couple M8s and a couple M9s after shooting some with his M9 I almost pulled the trigger on one last fall but the Mrs got a new living room instead. I have been seeing and processing almost entirely B&W for the past few years so when I read about the monochome well that was it. I was sold. I'll still keep my Canon gear from the stuff that pays the bills. The monochrome will be for my personal work and the occasional B&W assignment.

Theres been rumors of an M10 for a long time now. I do think a CMOS sensor with high ISO will be on the plate. Just hope they don't go the route that has them trying to compete with the FPS, video, auto everything, etc gadget go round that the top two are on.

Jun 25, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica M Monochrome

I think it's all but assured that the M10 will have a CMOS sensor with Live View and possibly even video. Pretty much confirmed here:

"CCD is a nice technology, it gives you really wonderful performance, but in order to realize some very interesting and more and more mandatory becoming functions such as live view you need CMOS. There is no way around it. We have taken measures to face that. Video, live view, power consumption and a lot of similar things speak for CMOS."

Stefan Daniel, Leica Product Management

http://the.me/interview-with-stefan-daniel-leica-director-product-management-next-target-non-leica-users

The M Monochrom will likely be the last CCD Leica M digital.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM
airfrogusmc
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica M Monochrome

If they move away from what they do best like add video I for one will be very disappointed and the fact a rangefinder will never be able to compete with the Nikon/Canon market for that, is crazy, in my opinion. Plus Leica isn't driven by the same consumer base that drives the big two. I think that move would be a huge mistake.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.