Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

badlydrawnboy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

Just wondering what you all do for off-site backup. I'm currently using CrashPlan, but it's pretty expensive and will only become more so as my images pile up.

I have multiple on-site backups (two cloned copies of my image drive), but obviously that wouldn't help much if my house burned down.

What's the easiest and most cost-effective way to do this?

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Tete
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

This may sound silly but i keep a fire proof safe at my in-laws with a 3 TB External HD there. I try to update often. It's not an online solution but its rather inexpensive and takes care of both work and family related photos.

I literally think a bomb would have to go off before that safe is ruined. Not to mention I also have a back-up 3 TB here at home and a 500GB portable in my bag that I carry with me.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

Hmmm. That's an option. I could store a back-up drive at my office.

I was hoping for something a little more automated, but I suppose I already have that with CrashPlan. It's just getting cost-prohibitive.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:40 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

My friend and I exchange external hard drives each week, so there's always a backup offsite that's no more than a week old, and a backup onsite that's no more than one day old.

I use 500GB drives in USB enclosures.

I figure that if her house (12 miles away) and my house are both destroyed, I have bigger things to worry about than my photos

<Chas>

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Gregory Edge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

CrashPlan is expensive? I have 2 computers backed up. 2.5 TB total and I do the monthly plan. $12/mo unlimited. However I am going to go to the discount pricing because I have had them for over a year now and am very happy.

Jun 24, 2012 at 08:19 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

I think I got a little confused about CrashPlan pricing. I thought it was per GB, but I just went to their site and now I see that it's $50/year for unlimited. I don't know if they recently changed pricing structure, or if I was just out to lunch.

Either way, problem solved. I'm quite happy to pay $50/year to have an automated off-site backup!

Jun 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Tete
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

yeah thats actually very reasonable BUT I guess im just old school. lol. and Until I fill up my 3TB drives I'll stick to my program.

Jun 25, 2012 at 11:35 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

I do Double HD, one in studio and one copy off site plus Crashplan for the jobs I have to save. I have had too many HD issues to count on them.Not to mention one drop moving it around from the studio to home would be the end of that back-up.

Jun 25, 2012 at 02:50 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

A HDD that lives at a mate's place (frequently updated), and Crashplan. Glad you got the pricing confusion sorted, I was getting confused reading about his it was getting expensive :-)

Jun 25, 2012 at 05:49 PM
Joshua Lowe
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

I use Carbonite, which is similar to CrashPlan.

The problem is that I'm OCD about RAW file retention. I'll keep stuff I don't publish online simply because I might have a later use for it. I can easily shoot 3000 raw images over the course of a weekend. Even if I only keep a quarter of those that's still 250+ RAW files. It takes forever for Carbonite to ingest them all.

Jun 25, 2012 at 07:58 PM
Cr VI
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

I have a USB 3.0 docking station and swap out 2TB drives every so often to a safe deposit box at a nearby bank. That gives me both a b/u on site and off site. I use GoodSync to do the back-ups. USB 3.0 goes pretty quickly.

Jun 25, 2012 at 09:27 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

i have a drobo in studio that holds all weddings and shoots. i have a second drobo that comes on site once a week to make a backup of the in studio drobo. i am getting a 3rd drobo that will sit at my parents house and will be my own personal cloud service that will constantly back stuff up on the in studio drobo.

once i finish a job it gets exported as jpgs and sent to zenfolio for the client, where the files live forever. Or as long as I am a customer of theirs. so 3 copies plus a 4th final jpg copy.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:18 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

Two e-sata drives in the trunk of my kid's car that sits in the yard. Both are encrypted and wrapped in plastic. Refresh data every couple of months.

Jun 28, 2012 at 06:57 PM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

dennishh wrote:
Two e-sata drives in the trunk of my kid's car that sits in the yard. Both are encrypted and wrapped in plastic. Refresh data every couple of months.

Trunk of the car. Great idea. Would never have thought of that.

Jun 28, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Dennis M 1064
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

Is crashplan faster than Carbonite? I just started with Carbonite a couple months ago. Took 4 days for my first back-up. But that was all of my data. Updates are faster, but, like First Shadow says, 250+ RAW files. . .!

Not like I'm doing anything at 2 in the morning anyways.

Jul 01, 2012 at 09:59 AM
badlydrawnboy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

I'm not sure, but I remember researching all of the choices and coming away with the idea that CrashPlan was the best choice. Not very helpful, I know. But there it is.

Jul 01, 2012 at 10:05 AM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

badlydrawnboy wrote:
Trunk of the car. Great idea. Would never have thought of that.

I used to think it was a good idea too, but it's subject to all sorts of temperature extremes, as well as being moved around a whole lot. I stopped doing it a long time ago.

Jul 01, 2012 at 06:02 PM
miccullen
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What's your off-site backup strategy?

Dennis M 1064 wrote:
Is crashplan faster than Carbonite? I just started with Carbonite a couple months ago.

The usual cause of slow uploads/downloads is the internet connection of the user, not the service itself.

Not like I'm doing anything at 2 in the morning anyways.

My Crashplan just runs 24/7 (or whenever scheduled), I never have to do anything manual to it.

Jul 01, 2012 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.