Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2012 · New Drobo's

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New Drobo's

A couple of new and interesting Drobo's with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 connections.

http://www.drobo.com/products/professionals/drobo-5d/index.php
http://www.drobo.com/products/professionals/drobo-mini/index.php

Jun 22, 2012 at 08:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · New Drobo's

they sent me the info a few days ago. i like the mini.

Jun 22, 2012 at 09:11 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · New Drobo's

I like both Do you know any price on those two?

Jun 22, 2012 at 09:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · New Drobo's

not yet

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · New Drobo's

mini would be nice for the road trips.

Jun 22, 2012 at 03:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · New Drobo's

yes it would for some. and it will have an optional carry case.

Jun 22, 2012 at 06:43 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #7 · New Drobo's

Very cool. I've always wondered why no ones made a portable raid drive with 2.5" drives.

Jun 23, 2012 at 02:40 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · New Drobo's

weibtech did 2 drives

http://www.wiebetech.com/products/ToughTech-Duo-3SR.php

the Drobo is just a little more of more

Jun 24, 2012 at 01:24 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · New Drobo's

The mini will weigh 3 lbs before it is done. Unless you need 3TB in a single RAID device now, I'm not sure it is the most portable solution simply for redundant storage.

I'm more interested in the 5x3.5" model. What processor is used for RAID?

EBH

Jun 24, 2012 at 02:49 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · New Drobo's

they don't seem to get into that.

Jun 24, 2012 at 03:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · New Drobo's

Of course not, but that is not good. The Thunderbokt interfacce does nothing for me if the write speeds are slow.

I'm also not so thrilled about listed OS support. I will be rebuilding from Server 2003 to 2008 later this year. I assume the former will not work, but the latter should unless Drobo has deliberately prevented that. There are other NAS that still support 2003/XP64 GPT and newer so I don't know what the issue is. To call the product professional and not support a Windows server OS is really a bad joke.

EBH

Jun 24, 2012 at 02:21 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · New Drobo's

sjms wrote:
weibtech did 2 drives

http://www.wiebetech.com/products/ToughTech-Duo-3SR.php

the Drobo is just a little more of more

Some years ago I had an older version of that enclosure with eSATA and USB 2.0. It was a power-sucking flamethrower and not recommended. (The controller chips were from a desktop system, crammed onto a small board.) I do have some other of their products that work very well.

EBH

Jun 24, 2012 at 02:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · New Drobo's

EB-1 wrote:
Of course not, but that is not good. The Thunderbokt interfacce does nothing for me if the write speeds are slow.

I'm also not so thrilled about listed OS support. I will be rebuilding from Server 2003 to 2008 later this year. I assume the former will not work, but the latter should unless Drobo has deliberately prevented that. There are other NAS that still support 2003/XP64 GPT and newer so I don't know what the issue is. To call the product professional and not support a Windows server OS is really a bad joke.

EBH

well we don't know all the particulars just yet so grab a coffee and standby.

Jun 24, 2012 at 02:35 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · New Drobo's

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

I belive you can assume that it's fast. It has an Accelerator Bay that accepts an mSATA SSD. And you can load up every drive bay with SSDs for really fast performance.

Jun 24, 2012 at 02:37 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · New Drobo's

Buffering with an SSD is obviously cheaper and more capacious than adding more RAM, but there is no redundancy until the files are completely written. Then what happens when a large read request occurs? Either performance will drop or it will have to wait to complete the writes.

I guess we'll have to see how it performs. I've been looking for something that is fast enough for primary data storage, rather that just a backup. It's either this or build a new low power storage server.

EBH

Jun 24, 2012 at 03:51 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · New Drobo's

I use a Drobo S as my primary data storage. It's decent even for most PP. And the new one will probably be faster

Jun 24, 2012 at 04:09 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · New Drobo's

looks like these guys here http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/08/g-technology-demos-dual-drive-8tb-g-raid-hdd-with-a-dash-of-thu/

have the drobo beat to the market.

Jun 25, 2012 at 06:24 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · New Drobo's

Sunny Sra wrote:
looks like these guys here http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/08/g-technology-demos-dual-drive-8tb-g-raid-hdd-with-a-dash-of-thu/

About every spec is much better in the Drobo. And I don't really see it having the Drobo beat to the market. Less good specs and hitting the market in Q4

What did they beat the Drobo in

Jun 25, 2012 at 06:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · New Drobo's

Sunny Sra wrote:

2 drives, wow. underwelming and limited. but it has big numbers numbers attached to it

Jun 26, 2012 at 01:53 PM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · New Drobo's

When i first saw this I thought it might be cool, but then I started reading and wondering why anyone would be interested in the mini. A 3lb box to carry around, when you can easily buy two (or more) redundant WD external 2.5" USB 3.0 1TB or 2TB drives (that Drobo doesn't seem to know exist) for less weight, cost, and ultimately, more more flexibility.

I currently use multiple 1TB WD externals for travel data backups (and sometimes more depending on where I am). This doesn't seem like something I'd want to travel with, so what am I missing?

Jun 26, 2012 at 05:34 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password