Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

I much prefer to allow moments to unfold organically without direction. For that very reason, I am not a fan of esessions.

Had one last week and am pretty happy with this particular moment because it was 'almost real'.

Jun 22, 2012 at 06:45 AM
bertpalmer

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

There's no reason why e-sessions have to be directed.

I try to develop a space where the couple feel comfortable enough to spend time together and share emotion.

I personally find them a great way to connect with the couple too.

Jun 22, 2012 at 06:50 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

Good shot. However, I agree with bert. They don't need to be directed.

Our most recent e-session inspired us in that respect.

Jun 22, 2012 at 07:33 AM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

Bertie's right on this one. You might want to look at physical theatre methods and some games you can play with couples to get them in the right zone with pout actually posing them.

Jun 22, 2012 at 09:15 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

I generally hate them too because I can think of only a handful I've seen that don't look cheesy and contrived. I like Gabe's ones a lot and also some of Jon Mold's because the couple look like they are just having a day out and he's followed them with his camera.

You seriously nailed this shot though. I like shots like this that are a bit more interpretative rather than couple-looking-at-the-camera or set up contrived kissing shots.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

canerino wrote:
I much prefer to allow moments to unfold organically without direction. For that very reason, I am not a fan of esessions.

Had one last week and am pretty happy with this particular moment because it was 'almost real'.

I've always felt the same way about them. Sometimes I almost dread them. I thought this was bad for me to feel that way, glad I'm not the only one.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:06 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

I hear you on that Chuck. While I love hanging with my couples, I'm usually not too enthusiastic about the shooting part. What helps me is that I rarely pose engagements (or anything else for that matter). I try to put them in situations where they can interact naturally and make sure they focus more on each other than on the camera.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:39 AM
lisy78
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

u just bein' lazy!

I love e-sessions. Yeah they start out a little bit slowly somewhat contrived but within 15 minutes humor takes over, we pretty much start playing... from there the moments start flowing on their own...

honestly funny moments
then maybe honestly deep moments
then I'll throw in something ridiculously contrived, which I might actually pretend to shoot...
which often precipitates more honestly funny moments
then maybe a couple of relatively uncontrived shots that are very carefully staged to take advantage of I dunno... the light or the background etc...
then some space
more real moments...

and then we all cry and hug.

Ok so maybe not the last one

and yeah I can't get this done in under 2 hours
and yeah I also try to get some simple, boring, portraits for grandma

I think the fact that I don't take myself seriously and that I constantly make fun of strongly staged shots makes it so that they actually end up enjoying even strongly staged shots... if that makes any sense... you know kind of... both the couple and I can appreciate a well lit, well staged, "epic" couple shot ... but to a degree, I for sure, and often the couple... think it's terribly cheesy.

So if we did it with reverence for the epic shot we'd prolly all be uncomfortable... but if we allow ourselves to experience the cheesiness without having to believe this is the most unbelievable thing ever... then we can play with it and enjoy it.

You know it's kind of the subtle difference between being the guy who actually owns the old cadillac that's painted candy colors, has hydraulics and lights and annoys the neighbourhood by cruising at slow speed with his atrociously tuned base and rattly metal panels... and when I see one of my neighbours, I slow down the wife's SIENNA (it's a minivan for those who don't know) lower the windows, recline my seat, make the face, raise the volume on the crappy-ass stock stereo and PRETEND to be that guy.

That said, nice shot!

Edited by Fred Miranda on Jun 25, 2012 at 01:26 AM

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

Think of it as a family pj session, minus the kids.

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:08 PM
gabemc
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

you can have sessions that are controlled and move without direction. my entire connection session business is based on this very premise.

put your couples where you want them (in the light, against a cool wall, sitting down, etc...) this is the control part. then let them "do their thing" and you capture it. some will need more direction then others...but trust me every single couple knows how to hold each other and laugh in each others company. for me i have almost zero camera interaction as people feel awkward connecting with a camera but will always feel comfortable connecting with each other. then all you need to do is compose the moment in-camear and take the picture.

easy

Edited on Jun 22, 2012 at 01:18 PM · View previous versions

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

klee.007
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

Really? I heart e-sessions... I admit, on the wedding day, I rather be fly on the wall to get PJ stuff but I use e-sessions to learn more about my clients to see what poses directions work well for them.

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:16 PM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

I like the shot Chuck!

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Jeremy B.

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

Chuck, my wife and I learned how to do what Bert described for couples through the techniques Jesh De Rox lays out in his Beloved Field Guides. Ever since we started using those techniques, we have consistently gotten photos like the one you shared above (nice shot by the way!) from nearly every couple we work with, and we don't feel like it is faked at all. If we didn't know how to do this, I would dislike e-sessions too. When the couple is focused on each other, they enjoy experiencing each other so much that they basically forget about the camera. "Real" experiences and photos CAN happen through photographer direction. It is all about setting up something genuine (in good light, starting with a flattering pose/angle), then photographing it as it unfolds.

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:30 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

Different strokes for different folks. Some couples do very well uninstructed while others do not. Some people are amazing in front of the camera naturally, others are not.

You absolutely cannot treat everyone the same. As photographers we are comfortable with consistency and normality, but we cannot slip into the cookie cutter mindset of trying to shoehorn everyone into our own artistic vision. You've got to be flexible with people.

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:44 PM
mcarriere987
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

No reason why you can't apply your love for PJ to an e-shoot. You'd certainly stand out if you could accomplish it. It could be 'your thing'.

That being said, this shot is AMAZING. No need to hate.

Jun 22, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

Direction as opposed to posing is about creating organic moments but with enough polish to tidy up the image.

Lovely shot.

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:11 PM
EVO088
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

I guess everyone is different on approach .. with me and my couples, they expect me to direct and pose them and when I don't .. its weird and awkward

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:32 PM
dotun Ayodeji

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

I'm a bit on the fence on this one. When you take a couple out for a shoot, you are not just going to let them roam the streets and take random pics are you? Yes, you might not always have them kiss and all that but you still have to direct them to do something. The difference is that some photogs do better at directing and some couples do a better job following directions. The shot posted is nice but a good director can direct a couple to get such. In today digital world, photogs tend to forget that art direction is just as important and we get carried away with the technical details for the most part.

You might hate e-shoots but what the client likes or want should affect your end product.

Jun 22, 2012 at 02:36 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

Dude why aren't you having then -do stuff- like a date then? I'm the same way I hate posey engagements. My favorites are one I shot in a couples home and one I shot at the carnival. No posing at all.

Jun 22, 2012 at 03:07 PM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · I Hate Engagement Sessions

EVO088 wrote:
I guess everyone is different on approach .. with me and my couples, they expect me to direct and pose them and when I don't .. its weird and awkward

It's funny you should mention this. It's something I've noticed and something I try to use to my advantage. When the session first starts, most of my couples are a little uneasy because they don't know what to expect and don't know what to do. So when I put them in position for them to interact, the first thing they do is laugh a nervous laugh and whisper to each other....probably saying "What the hell are we supposed to be doing?" I've gotten some of my best shots during that moment when they're uneasy and figuring things out. They don't realize it, but that first bit of interaction is very natural and has yielded some of my best shots.

Jun 22, 2012 at 03:07 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password